PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to secure funds....

Chico&Zeus
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I have a buyer for my boat, he called today from out of state...he sounded pretty serious but he wants me to meet him half way to take delivery. I thought about requesting a couple thousand prior to me leaving so that I know he is going to show up.......don't want to make a 1000 mile drive for nothing. What is the best way to have him transfer the funds ahead of time, and also what is the most secure way to finalize the payment when I meet him? I just get nervous with all the scammers these days, I really don't want to get some bull sh*t money order or traverlers check and be out my boat.

djunkie
08-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Maybe paypal.

VanDeano
08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
357 Magnum

Devil's Advocate
08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
357 Magnum :crossx:

burtandnancy
08-21-2006, 04:53 PM
CASH always works for me...

Rexone
08-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Wire transfer would be my choice

Biglue
08-21-2006, 04:58 PM
I have a buyer for my boat, he called today from out of state...he sounded pretty serious but he wants me to meet him half way to take delivery. I thought about requesting a couple thousand prior to me leaving so that I know he is going to show up.......don't want to make a 1000 mile drive for nothing. What is the best way to have him transfer the funds ahead of time, and also what is the most secure way to finalize the payment when I meet him? I just get nervous with all the scammers these days, I really don't want to get some bull sh*t money order or traverlers check and be out my boat.
When I bought my first boat, the sellers opened a bank account at BofA where I banked and just transfered the funds into their account. If you're going to take another payment other than cash, make sure the bank actually holds the funds or properly verify that a cashiers check is valid. And yes I would ask for an advance. Driving 1000 miles is not a light task.

chub
08-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Wire transfer the cost of fuel to an account. Tell him it will be substracted to the price upon a cash transfer and I never leave the house without my lil fren.
I like guns and guns, guns like me, I like guns, they help keep America free. REPEAT!
If they are serious they shouldn't have a prob. You are driving 1K miles to meet them.
My .02 cents

Howie Feltersnatch
08-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Wire transfer. I've done this a bunch of times. You can do it several ways. If the buyer is afraid to give you his bank information, he can talk to an employee at your bank and do it directly with them.
In most of my transactions I've gotten comfortable with the buyer/seller (done it both ways) & done a 50/50 - 50% up front, & 50% upon delivery. On a few deals you get bubbas who don't understand how the whole "weird bank thing" works and they don't want to fly with it. In that case I used a money order from the post office - they seemed to grasp the concept of the eagle flying over & shitting out their money.

RitcheyRch
08-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Wire transfer is safe and easy

HocusPocus
08-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Western Union (http://www.westernunion.com/index_consumer.asp?country=US) , i have used them in the past without problems.

Havasu Luvr
08-21-2006, 05:22 PM
When I bought my first boat, the sellers opened a bank account at BofA where I banked and just transfered the funds into their account. If you're going to take another payment other than cash, make sure the bank actually holds the funds or properly verify that a cashiers check is valid. And yes I would ask for an advance. Driving 1000 miles is not a light task.
Cashier checks are a bad way to go. Even if it is verified through the bank that it was drawn on the issuer can still put a stop payment on it. I would think that a wire transfer will not go easily with the buyer, he wants some kind of protection too. Cash? dangerous ! ! ! but if that is the option then I would do the exchange at the PD with an on-duty officer present then drive to the nearest bank and have them issue a cashiers check from you to you....

Cole Sanger
08-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Paypal has worked great for me so far. A boat and Suburban sold with it.

HocusPocus
08-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Paypal has worked great for me so far. A boat and Suburban sold with it.
paypal is ok.. but just wait until they decide lock your account hold all your funds for 180 days. happened to me and i never got a reason.

Mtg Pro
08-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Use escrow.com

Cole Sanger
08-21-2006, 07:19 PM
paypal is ok.. but just wait until they decide lock your account hold all your funds for 180 days. happened to me and i never got a reason.
Wow, never heard of such a thing. I waited until the money was in my bank, then I transfered it to my savings. I could care less if they kill my paypal account. So long as I had the money first.