PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Safety Chains

Devilman
08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Gonna get some new safety chains to replace the one chain that currently exists on the trailer. Right now, there is a loop sorta welded under the tongue of the trailer, where the the chain is attached. Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence....
My trailer frame is channel iron, I was thinking of drilling holes & bolting chains inside the channel & have them run forward on either side of the trailer jack, where I could then criss-cross them & hook them to the receiver.
Anybody got any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? Pics of some other set ups? Hate the thought of losing her on a rough stretch of road, should the hitch fail....
Thanks for any ideas & info.... :cool:

atxwrangler
08-21-2006, 04:58 PM
i think welding would be better,i need to put new chains on both of mine.let me know what you decide!

SmokinLowriderSS
08-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Mine are bolted, thru-bolted and nylocked.
I bought new chains at Wal-mart (ok, flame away, but they are trailer chains and are plenty heavy to hold mine up). They do not have hooks, but threaded caribiners to close them. You slip the carininer end thru the loops in your hitch, and fasten them back to the chain, at the slack-length you desire. 3 years and they are not rusting yet (and they have been submerged on a particularly flat ramp I know of).

ss396
08-21-2006, 08:39 PM
i use to build trailers and the way i did safety chains was to take a lenght of 1/2 inch inside dia. pipe the lenght of the tubing then weld it to the underside of the tube. then run an 1/2 bolt thru the pipe and a chain that u can fit an 1/2 bolt thru with a self locking nut on with washers on both the chain side and the pipe side. i like the use of a binner with the treader locker on it. i would use either hooks or binner and i would suggest binners when i built custom trailers for both safty reasons and also they will not jump off of the rig if on ruff roads. :idea:

PC Rat
08-21-2006, 09:18 PM
You might check to see whether there are any laws in your state regarding the way safety chains are attached.
I was told that this state requires safety chains to be bolted, but I've never confirmed it.
Brian

napabob
08-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Don't have it this way:
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/cas/vpost?id=1212593

Devilman
08-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Don't have it this way:
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/cas/vpost?id=1212593
Ouch! That sucks! No, I'm planning on attaching the chains to to the actual frame of the trailer, about 4-5 inches behind the jack assembly. Try & get ahold of something other than those S-shaped hooks as well.....