PDA

View Full Version : super stock racing?

stump
11-11-2002, 05:52 AM
I have been checking out the SS racing class.This looks like fun and realitively affordable class.Are the drive shafts run off the front of the engine in these or is engine mounted backwards ''flywheel forward''.And i read that capsules will be mandatory for the 2004 racing season how will this be handled ,will a new hull be required?I dont think we have any teams on the east coast here that i know of ,hmmn maby it's time to change that.

126driver
11-11-2002, 06:19 AM
Stump - we run off of the balancer. Capsules in '04? We'll have to see about that one... :rolleyes:

FlatRacer
11-11-2002, 07:38 AM
Stump:
Most of the drivers I talk to refuse to go the capsule route. If APBA sticks to their guns this time (they've been threatening to mandate capsules for quite a few years now), and this time it looks like they will, they'll probably lose flatbottoms altogether. There aren't enough capsule boats to sustain the class. They're too few spread too far across the country.
If the class is to continue without capsules, it will have to find a new sanctioning body to run under, or perhaps start its own new organization. If that happens, there will probably be (I hope) some engine rule changes to make it more affordable, and bring the speeds down.
While the class looks inexpensive to run, it's really not. There are ways to cheat, and believe me they've all been tried, some successfully for years before they were detected, but they are expensive. Even if you don't cheat, a top shelf motor is still expensive and it's stressed way beyond its design limitations. If you want an engine to last, it won't win, and visa versa. As a matter of fact it's cheaper to run a KRR program, because as soon as you stick a blower on a big block, you've got more power than the boat can handle, then it becomes a matter of who's the bravest driver. The old joke is that in KRR you bolt a wooden block to the underside of your gas pedal, and as your balls get a little bigger you shave some of the wood off the block!
Personally, I'd like to see a flatbottom class that follows the sealed hands off spec engine idea that's enjoying so much success now in the Offshore Factory classes. Build 'em to last an entire season or more, rev limit them, make them deliver about 450 RELIABLE hp. Seal them so they can't be tampered with. Mandate rear facing scoops so they won't get destroyed if ya get hosed. If we did that we'd have a fun 110 mph boat that would last all season. And between prop and gear selection and weight jacking, you'd still have plenty to play around with as far as setup.
The other avenue is to do what Circle Jerk is doing out in the northwest where you have to keep your lap times above a set index. Kinda like bracket racing, only in circles. A very intriguing and interesting concept, but I'd have to see it in action before I could render an opinion on its success. I have a feeling that in '04 Boyd's gonna have a lot of racers knocking on his door to see if they can play in his back yard!
In any case, we're in a wait and see mode. This is certainly not the time to get into Super Stock racing. On the other hand, next year it will be a buyer's market for all kinds of cool competitive equipment! Glass half empty, or half full??????
Eric

LeE ss13
11-11-2002, 07:06 PM
stump:
.. fun and realitively affordable class..I've heard, the front runners spend about 25K an engine and use 2 or 3 a season. So I've heard !! Now add driving from 100 to 1000 miles, getting hotel rooms for yourself and wife and 3 to 4 crew members. Entry fees, $4.50 a gallon fuel, (3 to 5 gallons a heat depending on the altitude),food, spare parts, APBA membership, Local club Membership, DOT physical, Vest and Helmet certification, beer, (required), lost work time, (you gotta take Fridays off)..... I think I better stop, I might be talking myself out of Thanksgivings at Bluewater.

Sked
11-11-2002, 10:15 PM
FlatRacer:
Stump:
If the class is to continue without capsules, it will have to find a new sanctioning body to run under, or perhaps start its own new organization. If that happens, there will probably be (I hope) some engine rule changes to make it more affordable, and bring the speeds down. *****************************************
Personally, I'd like to see a flatbottom class that follows the sealed hands off spec engine idea that's enjoying so much success now in the Offshore Factory classes. Build 'em to last an entire season or more, rev limit them, make them deliver about 450 RELIABLE hp. Seal them so they can't be tampered with. Mandate rear facing scoops so they won't get destroyed if ya get hosed. If we did that we'd have a fun 110 mph boat that would last all season.
EricHey Eric,
WHO THE HELL WOULD WANT TO GO SLOWER !!!!!!!!!!
I DOUBT YOU WOULD SEE SPEEDS OF 110 WITH ONLY 450 HP ESPECIALLY IN AN 1850 LB BOAT. IN FACT I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD SEE IT IN MOST 1400 LB BOATS.

CircleJerk
11-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Hey flat racer, Thanks for the plug. But you are wrong. I dont have the price of one of those crate motors you're talking about in my whole boat motor and trailer and it runs 66 mph AVERAGE. That my friend, isnt slow on a 3/4 course with 900 foot staightaways or I'm an overthehill OLD Geiser!!!!It Kicks Mee In the Pants! And I may summerize my remarks by saying... almost lost my train of thought......Yes we have already seen the interest growingggggggggggggggggg BBBBiGGGG! The Hydros are coming!!!! Who will be faster????? Jerk

Sked
11-11-2002, 10:32 PM
On your courses, my money's on the flats.

CircleJerk
11-11-2002, 10:41 PM
JSSK88:
On your courses, my money's on the flats.Wish you were right, but, The 266 'Miami Mist' turned a 67mph on a solo run! What's a flat to do? Am I that slow? Jerk.....Dont answer that!
[ November 11, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

Sked
11-11-2002, 10:52 PM
Hey Jerk,
Need a "shoe"? I hear blondebombshell's the hot driver. :D :D Sorry, just had to.

Sked
11-11-2002, 11:10 PM
stump,
This one's for you. Here's one of your NC good old boys out of Raliegh, Bobby Commander, in his pre Biesemeyer days getting ready to do battle in his Frahs Super Stock.
http://members.aol.com/jssk88/ss4.jpg

CircleJerk
11-11-2002, 11:15 PM
Sk, That's a Barron Sprint next to him, but what the H is he in? Jerk Never mind it must be a FRAH right? Unusual lines, where can I find one?
[ November 11, 2002, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

CircleJerk
11-11-2002, 11:36 PM
JSSK88:
Hey Jerk,
Need a "shoe"? I hear blondebombshell's the hot driver. :D :D Sorry, just had to.SK88, What kind of a crack is that? I'm HERT!Just for that, I will become a sandbagger and time into her slow class!!! Now the BlondeBomber will be gunning for you!! Cause she dont like messin with the Flying Snail!!!HA Jerkout :D

FlatRacer
11-14-2002, 01:39 PM
Okay, so make it 500 hp. The point would be to keep it as cheap and as fair as possible. Sure, you'll have some rich prima donna that wants to be king of the hill who buys eight engines, dynos them and uses the best ones. :rolleyes: You'll also get the guy who figures out how to duplicate the seal, and build his own cheater motor. :mad: So maybe there should be a claim rule for the engines.
It's all just theoretical anyway, cause it'll never happen. :p
FR
Hey, what are SS engines dynoing at these days anyway?

FlatRacer
11-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Hey Circle Jerk, 3/4 mi. courses??? I'm gonna have to put the gears in backwards. What do you think Sked, about 15% UNDERdrive sound about right?
:p :p :p

Sked
11-14-2002, 02:12 PM
FlatRacer:
Okay, so make it 500 hp. The point would be to keep it as cheap and as fair as possible. Sure, you'll have some rich prima donna that wants to be king of the hill who buys eight engines, dynos them and uses the best ones. :rolleyes: You'll also get the guy who figures out how to duplicate the seal, and build his own cheater motor. :mad: So maybe there should be a claim rule for the engines.
It's all just theoretical anyway, cause it'll never happen. :p
FR
Hey, what are SS engines dynoing at these days anyway?I was in the 550 to 600 HP range. Although I could consistantly run lap speeds at just over 100 mph on a 1 2/3 mile course, the straightaway speeds were down around 110 and that's with a 1380 lb boat. I would think today that a tick over 600 HP shouldn't be any problem.

Sked
11-14-2002, 02:14 PM
FlatRacer:
Hey Circle Jerk, 3/4 mi. courses??? I'm gonna have to put the gears in backwards. What do you think Sked, about 15% UNDERdrive sound about right?
:p :p :p 3/4 mile course? What are we talking here, RC Boats. I think that's the size they run. :D :D

126driver
11-14-2002, 02:19 PM
Our last motor dyno'd at 640 hp. I wouldn't be suprised if a few SSRS teams are approaching 680 - 700 hp.

126driver
11-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Jerk - don't you get dizzy on that 3/4 mile track? :p

Sked
11-14-2002, 02:29 PM
126driver:
Our last motor dyno'd at 640 hp. I wouldn't be suprised if a few SSRS teams are approaching 680 - 700 hp.I was checking the current rules and figured the HP was up. We always ran our motors on a conservative dyno. Sounds like you might be doing the same. 680 - 700 HP numbers are probably from one of those liberal dyno's probably owned by a CA democrat.

126driver
11-14-2002, 03:07 PM
Yeah, left-wing dynos for left-hand turns? :confused:

FlatRacer
11-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Okay, make it 600 hp. Who am I to argue? I could never afford dyno time. I was always late getting the thing on the water! :rolleyes: Do you have any idea how many old lady's pocketbooks ya hafta snatch to pay for all those membership fees and other endless expenses? eek! (I am from New Yawk, after all) :D
This is why we gotta make it less expensive folks! Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first, or the last), but less expensive = more fun, right?
FR (Where did I leave my straight-jacket???) :p
[ November 14, 2002, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]

Sinbad
11-14-2002, 07:46 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Picture_0426.JPG
Are jets allowed to play in this class Bill

CircleJerk
11-15-2002, 01:10 AM
126driver:
Jerk - don't you get dizzy on that 3/4 mile track? :p Yes I do. I hardly get to enjoy the crowd for a second on the staightaways { three old people in broken lawn chairs shaking their fists} and then that big orange thing is in front saying TURN STUPID so I keep turning and turning.....while my head keeps spinning.....

CircleJerk
11-15-2002, 01:18 AM
JSSK88:
FlatRacer:
:p :p :p 3/4 mile course? What are we talking here, RC Boats. I think that's the size they run. :D :D For your information guys, I run 12s in BACKWARDS and spin a 10X14 to 8900! Now my secrets out! Thanks alot you eastern Circle Jerks! Do you think I need a rev-limiter? CowboyJerk

126driver
11-15-2002, 05:59 AM
Sinbad:
Are jets allowed to play in this class BillNo. Now take your ball and go home. wink
Actually, there is a class called Competition Jet but, at least on the west coast, seems to be nonexistant except for a race at Burley, Idaho. I'm not familiar with the class rules.
That's a sweet looking ride you have, but can it turn? :confused: :D

DaveA
11-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Yes I do. I hardly get to enjoy the crowd for a second on the staightaways { three old people in broken lawn chairs shaking their fists} Sounds like the crowd you guys raced past when you were looking for my house, eh Stump??
DaveA

11-15-2002, 09:49 PM
126driver:
Sinbad:
Are jets allowed to play in this class BillNo. Now take your ball and go home. wink
Actually, there is a class called Competition Jet but, at least on the west coast, seems to be nonexistant except for a race at Burley, Idaho. I'm not familiar with the class rules.
That's a sweet looking ride you have, but can it turn? :confused: :D hell...it can't even go straight...its a jet hydro....Hello RR-1 :D :D :D

BigBoyToys
11-30-2002, 07:16 AM
Well, the new APBA capsule mandate for 2004 succeeded in getting me out of the SS/PS racing. Who's next?
Comp Jet Circles? Only in Burley and It's called a "Local class". We raced SJ and CJ circles back in the 1980's with APBA and it was fun. Now I get back into racing and all the Jet classes are gone. Screw APBA! I'm going Drag Racing!

roco racing
12-06-2002, 02:50 PM
smart move.drags are where its at now. :D

126driver
12-06-2002, 03:25 PM
roco racing:
smart move.drags are where its at now. :D Easy there trigger. :D Have you seen the boat count at a SSRS race? wink And the purse?

GofastRacer
12-06-2002, 04:33 PM
BigBoyToys:
Well, the new APBA capsule mandate for 2004 succeeded in getting me out of the SS/PS racing. Who's next?
Comp Jet Circles? Only in Burley and It's called a "Local class". We raced SJ and CJ circles back in the 1980's with APBA and it was fun. Now I get back into racing and all the Jet classes are gone. Screw APBA! I'm going Drag Racing!You just have to get into the right classes that's all!! wink boatguy222 has the perfect P/S boat for ya!!, I'll even sell ya mine!!... :D

BigBoyToys
12-06-2002, 05:03 PM
126driver:
roco racing:
smart move.drags are where its at now. :D Easy there trigger. :D Have you seen the boat count at a SSRS race? wink And the purse?Purse don't pay enough for what it takes to be competitive. And talk about EXPENSIVE! Hey Scott, what was the total boat count that crashed in 2002 just in the SSRS? I know the numbers....I too was a member of the SSRS for the 2002 season. Never ran though thanks to APBA.....

BigBoyToys
12-06-2002, 05:08 PM
But in all fairness, the SSRS is a Superbly run racing organization and Paul Whittington has done a great job this year, and everybody has been great. Too bad the SSRS couldn't break free from the APBA and run with.......well, we won't go there right now. But if the SSRS ever did break free from the APBA, I'd be back. APBA puts way too much emphasis and promoting on a select few classes and not enough on the inboards.

126driver
12-06-2002, 05:11 PM
True dat on everything BBT. But boat racing is a hobby. The purse just helps ease the burden a tiny bit. Cracks me up everytime someone asks me if boat racing is what I do for a living. :rolleyes:

boatguy222
12-06-2002, 05:58 PM
GofastRacer:
BigBoyToys:
Comp Jet Circles? Only in Burley and It's called a "Local class". We raced SJ and CJ circles back in the 1980's with APBA and it was fun. Now I get back into racing and all the Jet classes are gone. Screw APBA! I'm going Drag Racing!You just have to get into the right classes that's all!! wink boatguy222 has the perfect P/S boat for ya!!, I'll even sell ya mine!!... :D Thanks, you just got 5 :D

BigBoyToys
12-06-2002, 06:43 PM
GofastRacer:
BigBoyToys:
Comp Jet Circles? Only in Burley and It's called a "Local class". We raced SJ and CJ circles back in the 1980's with APBA and it was fun. Now I get back into racing and all the Jet classes are gone. Screw APBA! I'm going Drag Racing!You just have to get into the right classes that's all!! wink boatguy222 has the perfect P/S boat for ya!!, I'll even sell ya mine!!... :D Yeah, i've seen boatguy222's PS boat for sale for some time noiw. I had a Biesemeyer with a SS legal engine and a PS engine. Sold the boat a few months ago because it was not practical for me on the lake (big family) and I ain't putting no capsule in a boat.....at least not on an SS or PS boat. I want another Biesemeyer, this is true, but I have other things that I want too that are a bit higher up on the want list wink

GofastRacer
12-06-2002, 08:13 PM
BigBoyToys:
GofastRacer:
BigBoyToys:
Comp Jet Circles? Only in Burley and It's called a "Local class". We raced SJ and CJ circles back in the 1980's with APBA and it was fun. Now I get back into racing and all the Jet classes are gone. Screw APBA! I'm going Drag Racing!You just have to get into the right classes that's all!! wink boatguy222 has the perfect P/S boat for ya!!, I'll even sell ya mine!!... :D Yeah, i've seen boatguy222's PS boat for sale for some time noiw. I had a Biesemeyer with a SS legal engine and a PS engine. Sold the boat a few months ago because it was not practical for me on the lake (big family) and I ain't putting no capsule in a boat.....at least not on an SS or PS boat. I want another Biesemeyer, this is true, but I have other things that I want too that are a bit higher up on the want list wink I hear ya!! wink

GofastRacer
12-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Thanks, you just got 5 :D [/QB]Thank you Marc!.. wink

ps555
12-07-2002, 03:23 PM
I went to every series this year either crewing or driving and out of 29 ss boats in the ssrs only 6 flipped, and three raced the next day thats pretty damn good if you ask me. average boat count at an SSRS event 12, sounds to like the SSRS is the way to go. :D

BigBoyToys
12-07-2002, 04:18 PM
ps555:
I went to every series this year either crewing or driving and out of 29 ss boats in the ssrs only 6 flipped, and three raced the next day thats pretty damn good if you ask me. average boat count at an SSRS event 12, sounds to like the SSRS is the way to go. :D I agree wholeheartedly! SSRS is definitely the way to go. I just wished they would get out of the APBA and run with a different sanctioning body. And BTW, I know of at lease 1 of the 29 boats in the SSRS that didn't race.... frown
[ December 07, 2002, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

126driver
12-08-2002, 11:50 AM
ps555 - are you going to th banquet in Vegas? Wait till you see what the 126 team has in store for a couple of door prizes. :D devil

CircleJerk
12-08-2002, 06:53 PM
You guys talk like SSRS will be around for many more moons! I fear it will be dead in 2004 and many of you here , I fear, are burying you heads in the sand! This leaves your tail-feathers exposed! Dont you think? It's time to support what you believe to be the best in boat racing and not worry about flack from APBA. Whats wrong with a speed limit, or shortening the course,limiting horsepower or money spent, etc. I hate to sound like the jack-ass some of you think I am but are you ready to say GOODBYE to SS,PS,K boat style of side by side racing excitement?...............JacktheJerk

ps555
12-08-2002, 07:05 PM
CircleJerk do you know of all the names involved in SSRS leaving apba would not be a problem, actually from what an insider said its already in the works and not just for the ss boats ps gns are invovled also. and when that happen watch. Anyways some of the ssrs races dont involve apba :D

BigBoyToys
12-08-2002, 07:08 PM
CircleJerk:
You guys talk like SSRS will be around for many more moons! I fear it will be dead in 2004 and many of you here , I fear, are burying you heads in the sand! This leaves your tail-feathers exposed! Dont you think? It's time to support what you believe to be the best in boat racing and not worry about flack from APBA. Whats wrong with a speed limit, or shortening the course,limiting horsepower or money spent, etc. I hate to sound like the jack-ass some of you think I am but are you ready to say GOODBYE to SS,PS,K boat style of side by side racing excitement?...............JacktheJerkI, for one, do not think that SS/PS/K boats will make it much furthur than 2006 if APBA stands firm on the capsule rule. Heck, that's why I got out of it! As far as the SSRS goes, the Super Stock Racing Series is a well run organization and I believe that they can be more successful WITHOUT the APBA. You will definitely see boat counts drop drastically in 2004, probably running as a probationary class in 2005 (due to not enough boats registered with APBA), and be gone for good by 2006. Capsules in the SS boats? C'mon APBA...GET REAL!

ps555
12-08-2002, 07:09 PM
126driver working on plane tickets should be there, i bet you have some good ones.

BigBoyToys
12-08-2002, 07:14 PM
ps555:
CircleJerk do you know of all the names involved in SSRS leaving apba would not be a problem, actually from what an insider said its already in the works and not just for the ss boats ps gns are invovled also. and when that happen watch. Anyways some of the ssrs races dont involve apba :D What? The only SSRS races that didn't involve APBA was when the SSRS was in Phoenix. Other than that, I believe they were all sanctioned points races by the APBA.
Furthermore, if the SSRS leaves the APBA and their funky capsule crap, I'll buy another Biesemeyer (or maybe a Canary) and I'll be in the front of the line to sign up!

ps555
12-08-2002, 09:51 PM
bbt ssrs had three i know for sure of firebird twice and red bluff and i was told st. louis, windsor, and sd, but i could be wrong on thoses :confused: 126driver would know. If that was the case then the only two races apba would be Long Beach and Burley im sure ssrs could pick up too none apba events i heard njba was interested in having one.

BigBoyToys
12-09-2002, 05:03 AM
ps555:
bbt ssrs had three i know for sure of firebird twice and red bluff and i was told st. louis, windsor, and sd, but i could be wrong on thoses :confused: 126driver would know. If that was the case then the only two races apba would be Long Beach and Burley im sure ssrs could pick up too none apba events i heard njba was interested in having one.You are correct...sorta. The 2 Races in Phoenix and the race in Red Bluff were not APBA sanctioned. Burley, Long Beach, St. Louis, Windsor, and San Diego were all APBA sanctioned races. I was a member of the SSRS for the 2002 season and have the sanction entry forms still.... and it also shows on the APBA website :D
So, with that said, If APBA had it's capsule rule in place this past season, you would have had to have a capsule for 5 out of 8 races. And, I'm tellin' ya's....I'm watching the SSRS closely. If they jump ship from APBA completely I'll be back... :D With another "Big Boy Toys SS 33" Boat :)
[ December 09, 2002, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

BigBoyToys
12-09-2002, 05:19 AM
Hey Scott, since I didn't sign up with the SSRS this year, and I'm assuming you did, I probably won't get the results from the new "Head" deal. I got the ballot from Paul and saw the 2 options.... Let me know what they decide to go with.

126driver
12-09-2002, 06:38 AM
CircleJerk:
You guys talk like SSRS will be around for many more moons! I fear it will be dead in 2004 and many of you here , I fear, are burying you heads in the sand! This leaves your tail-feathers exposed! Dont you think? It's time to support what you believe to be the best in boat racing and not worry about flack from APBA. Whats wrong with a speed limit, or shortening the course,limiting horsepower or money spent, etc. I hate to sound like the jack-ass some of you think I am but are you ready to say GOODBYE to SS,PS,K boat style of side by side racing excitement?...............JacktheJerkIMO, I think you're way off base CJ, the SSRS has become a strong entity and will indeed be around for many years to come. No sticking our heads in the sand here, we've been well aware of the whole APBA/capsule deal for years and have discussed it at length. SSRS politics are best left to those guys we have trusted to steer the ship and not within a public forum. My personal observation is that the APBA is more worried about keeping us than the other way around. We will see what happens but suffice to say I'm not worried at all about not having a place to run my boat in '04 and beyond.
What's wrong with speed limits? C,mon CJ. If you want to go slower, get a slower boat. wink :D Don't get me wrong. I think your nostalgia deal is completely bitchin and I'm sure the racing is tight. It's great what you guys have done, but what's wrong with a group of guys wanting to push their equipment as far as they can? To me, that's racing.

126driver
12-09-2002, 06:40 AM
BigBoyToys:
Hey Scott, since I didn't sign up with the SSRS this year, and I'm assuming you did, I probably won't get the results from the new "Head" deal. I got the ballot from Paul and saw the 2 options.... Let me know what they decide to go with.I'll do it. I had a lengthy conversation about this on Friday. One deal sounds way cool and the other option sounds like a POS.

FlatRacer
12-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Sounds like I'm far from alone in my objection to the whole capsule deal. This crap was going on way back in '92 when I bought my brand new Bezer from Jim Foster. Back then I decided to name it "Already Gone". Half in reference to the Eagles song, and half as if to say "go ahead, keep pissing me off with this capsule crap, and I'm outta here!" I'd also just gone through a divorce a couple years earlier argue , but that didn't have any bearing on it. Yeah Right!
I'm tellin' you guys, (APBA are you listening?) I've got my engine pieces all ready to go together, and I can't muster up the entusiasm to assemble the damn thing. For what? One last year of racing? From what I can gather, BBT feels the same way. How many racers have quit because of this, and how many potential racers have taken a look at this sad state of affairs, and gone off elsewhere to channel their competitive urges?
Yes, I'd love to race again. And yes, I can probably afford it. But they've made it so unpalatable that I simply just wandered off to play with my other toys. Will I race this year? I honestly can't answer that. And that's what's so damned sad.
FR
I guess it could be worse. I coulda been one of those poor bastards who bought one of those stern drive "Cobra Grand Prix" boats ( :rolleyes: remember that brainchild? :rolleyes: ) thinkin' I was gonna race it for more than the one year that class lasted! :D
[ December 09, 2002, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]

LeE ss13
12-09-2002, 04:01 PM
FlatRacer:
I guess it could be worse. I coulda been one of those poor bastards who bought one of those stern drive "Cobra Grand Prix" boats ( :rolleyes: remember that brainchild? :rolleyes: ) thinkin' I was gonna race it for more than the one year that class lasted! :D Were those the 2300 Pinto motors with an outdrive??? If so, Don Cucci has a bunch of those little guys. I've seen those run !!!

CircleJerk
12-10-2002, 01:11 AM
126driver:
CircleJerk:
You guys talk like SSRS will be around for many more moons! I fear it will be dead in 2004 and many of you here , I fear, are burying you heads in the sand! This leaves your tail-feathers exposed! Dont you think? It's time to support what you believe to be the best in boat racing and not worry about flack from APBA. Whats wrong with a speed limit, or shortening the course,limiting horsepower or money spent, etc. I hate to sound like the jack-ass some of you think I am but are you ready to say GOODBYE to SS,PS,K boat style of side by side racing excitement?...............JacktheJerkIMO, I think you're way off base CJ, the SSRS has become a strong entity and will indeed be around for many years to come. No sticking our heads in the sand here, we've been well aware of the whole APBA/capsule deal for years and have discussed it at length. SSRS politics are best left to those guys we have trusted to steer the ship and not within a public forum. My personal observation is that the APBA is more worried about keeping us than the other way around. We will see what happens but suffice to say I'm not worried at all about not having a place to run my boat in '04 and beyond.
What's wrong with speed limits? C,mon CJ. If you want to go slower, get a slower boat. wink :D Don't get me wrong. I think your nostalgia deal is completely bitchin and I'm sure the racing is tight. It's great what you guys have done, but what's wrong with a group of guys wanting to push their equipment as far as they can? To me, that's racing.OK Scott, If I may respond, I admit, I'm sore with the "A" folks cause they did'nt see a use for the OLD slow boat class. However, I should thank them for making me dig deeper to find an alternative. Heck, I just wanted to circle race one time before I kicked the bucket! As far as pushing the equipment, been there, done that,NHRA and AHRA drag racing. Broke a lot of stuff and worked harder than I want to now! The Nostalgia car movement limited speed by requiring old stuff with narrow tires to keep a handle on speed-safety and look what happened...Nosty drag racing is BIG. Hey, like that abreviation? Good name for a boat!
Nothing wrong with your deal! Just wish I were closer to your racing action, cry and as usual,you have good points. Just don't go breaking your neck cause I'll sure miss your informative comments and of course,your praise for our deal!! smilespi Nosty Nosty.....OStridgeJerkin PS;what gears would you recommend for Burley with a 468 pro stock motor? 22s,18s with a 15pitch?

BigBoyToys
12-10-2002, 03:11 AM
126driver:
BigBoyToys:
Hey Scott, since I didn't sign up with the SSRS this year, and I'm assuming you did, I probably won't get the results from the new "Head" deal. I got the ballot from Paul and saw the 2 options.... Let me know what they decide to go with.One deal sounds way cool and the other option sounds like a POS.Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing...

126driver
12-10-2002, 06:51 AM
CJ - It wouldn't hurt my feelings to not run APBA. Their lack of interest with your deal doesn't suprise me one bit. The general consensus around here is that they are more than willing to take our dollars and use it to promote all of the blender boats back east. Remember the "Inboard Promotional Fee" that was charged at every race Flatracer? Did you ever feel "promoted?" Me neither.
Probably 25's at least CJ. BTW - wasn't nosty-nosty a Janet Jackson song back in the mid '80's? Not that I listened to that stuff. eek! Well, except for when I was trying to get laid. :D

CircleJerk
12-11-2002, 12:35 AM
That's FUNNY****Sounds like a Dangerous Addiction to me! Never been there myself##### Thanks for advice, I might make it some year, got to beat BoatGuy2222222222222 smilespi

boatguy222
12-11-2002, 03:28 PM
CircleJerk:
That's FUNNY****Sounds like a Dangerous Addiction to me! Never been there myself##### Thanks for advice, I might make it some year, got to beat BoatGuy2222222222222 smilespi You forget that boatguy222 can't drive for $hit wink and right now it looks as if his boat is retired from racing, so you have nothing to worry about, besides you got to fix your boat before you can beat anybody eek!

CircleJerk
12-12-2002, 01:44 AM
Marc, Your humility overwhelms me. I think you're being too hard on yourself. If you had started with a slow boat like mine, you would find the degree of driving difficulty much less than the Bezer's. Let's see; 496 cubes, high compression, fuel injected, narrow boat, 15 gears, small prop.......sounds like a Rookie Ride to me! OH, what do I know? YOu did make some drivers very concerned and intimidated. But you already know that! Merry Christmas....saysJerk sqsmile

FlatRacer
12-13-2002, 01:15 PM
CJ: I love what you said. "Been there, done that.... Broke a lot of stuff and worked harder than I want to now..."
I hear ya brother! Can I get an AMEN?!!! All I ever wanted to do was race my boat against guys that had the same shot at winning that I do. That means there's got to be some limiting factor, whether it's speed limits (Brackets), spec engines (a la Offshore factory class, or SCCA Spec Racer class), claim rules (like some dirt track classes) or whatever.
When I pull up to a race and park next to the guy who's running in my class and he's got a 40' box trailer with two spare pro-built motors inside and a 8 man crew with matching uniforms, and on and on and on,... who the hell do I think I'm kidding (besides myself) with my self-built motor, my Chevy stationwagon and my craftsman toolbox?!! That's not boat racing, that's wallet racing, and if I knew then what I know now, I'd have stayed home and spent my money much more wisely, and had a helluva lot more fun with it too. Racing has got to be one of two things: profitable, or affordable.
126 Driver: Yes, I remember the Inboard Promotional Fund. I also remember when APBA overplayed their hand with ESPN and was told to take a hike. Let's see, they wanted the racers to pay, and they wanted ESPN to pay. Sounds like Clintonomics to me! Did I feel promoted? Well I got to see my ugly mug on TV a few times. Had to scour the TV guide to find it, and set my VCR at 3:30 AM to tape it, but it was there. But that was never what I was after, (see above).
Tell you what, when all that crap finally flushes itself down the toilet, I'll invite you all over to my house. We'll toss out some bouys and do laps until the lake cop comes, and then sit around and talk of what should have been.
FR :p
[ December 13, 2002, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]

126driver
12-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Easy on the big enclosed trailer bro. Some of us get by with a lot of horse trading. wink
You're right though. Hard to compete with the guys with the fat wallets.

Sked
12-14-2002, 12:48 AM
Damn Eric, I just love your verses on APBA. Music to my ears. I just got done writing 3 or 4 of them myself all with varying degrees of derogatory statements about the APBA and praises for CJ's efforts and the Nostalgic Inboards. All were written with the intent of responding to Tom D'Eaths invitation for me/us to join the APBA Vintage and Historical group after reading my try at promoting the Nostalgic Inboards for the east coast on speedskiffs.com. Yeah right, what a joke. pigfly I decided not to bother posting any of what I wrote. It would be like starting an argument with a democrat. argue From the response I got on speedskiffs.com, which scored a 0 for positives, cry it looks like you and I are screwed here on the east coast. Well buddy, got any ideas? idea2

CircleJerk
12-14-2002, 01:22 AM
KEEP THE FAITH MEN!!I know it will happen! We're winning!! Don't give up. You'll see it happen,,,, just as soon as PIGS FLY!!!!!!!!!!! pigfly
Eric, you and SKEG are the new neighbors I told my wife I wanted for Christmas! OH, almost forgot, SS126 can come too if he sells the trailer and loads the picnic basket next to his Craftsman box in the back of his BelAir wagon! We'll keep the bonfire burning for the smores...dont pull the buoys in yet Eric, Scotts coming.....soon. wink

FlatRacer
12-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Yeah, engine building was never my thing. After the first five it kinda loses its appeal. I just want to drive the damn thing! Is that so much to ask? cry
Sked, I got an idea. Why don't we buy a piece of land in East Bumf*ck, Idaho, fire up that dozer of yours and dig us a track. Then we can call the shots.
Speaking of digging holes, do ya think APBA would even let me back in after shooting off my mouth on these forums, or have I dug my own grave? I promise to get my lifejacket, slings, helmet, whirlaway, trailer bearings, muffler bearings, woofers, tweeters, eyes, ears nose, throat, testicles, and whatever else re-re-certified (again). :rolleyes:
FR :D
[ December 14, 2002, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]

Sked
12-14-2002, 04:03 PM
As far as I would be concerned, I wouldn't care. That organization isn't worth joining, unless of course you had a hydro, maybe. Check my reply that I just couldn't refrain from posting on speedskiffs.com. and join in if you care to. Knowing you, you won't be able to help it, like me, you'll just have to do it.
In reference to CJ's invite to move next door to him, I know it would take me more than just a few box trailers to get all my stuff out there, but after they were all emptied, we could all have box trailers for our race boats, big 45 foot long ones with Pete's towing them. Hell, we'd need pits the size of Rhode Island just to accommodate us.

CircleJerk
12-15-2002, 12:05 AM
Got ya covered!!!!Smores await.....Buoys inflated....hole is already dug! Plenty of room in the wild West...coming 126driver? You can bring the trailer! :cool: ERIC, that's funny... and the democrats are in SEATTLE 250 miles west of me! argue
[ December 15, 2002, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]