PDA

View Full Version : Yellow lab

phebus
01-12-2006, 09:15 PM
We have a 5 year old female (spayed) yellow lab, that we unfortunately have to find a new home for. We are in the process of moving to Lake Havasu, and the dog is primarily an outside dog (due to my daughter's asthma).
Outside dogs don't fare well in the heat of summer, so out of concern and kindness to the dog we love, we would like to find a good caring home for her.
Those interested, please contact me, and I will try to pick what I feel would be the best placement for her. She is great with other dogs, kids, etc.
I will post pictures of her in the morning.
Thanks,
Rick

waterwitch
01-12-2006, 09:43 PM
WOW! I am sorry you have to get rid of your friend.
I will put the word out around my area.
Good luck with your move.

Kindsvater Flat
01-12-2006, 09:46 PM
To bad you didn't say this earlier when the waterwitchs came to norcal. I would take the dog to have on the ranch.
We like yellow dogs..
http://www.schoutenranch.com/PhsntHunt2002.jpg

waterwitch
01-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I bet if your serious, you guys could meet half way
or something.
Beautiful dogs Mike. You need an even 4! :)

Kindsvater Flat
01-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I bet if your serious, you guys could meet half way
or something.
Beautiful dogs Mike. You need an even 4! :)
Those 3 have long retired.... sure miss them.
Now for that bastard the pee'd on my harley he's gonna be up for grabs real soon.
Ate right through the clear..
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_MVC-004F.JPG

JetBoatRich
01-12-2006, 10:00 PM
To bad for the dog :rolleyes:
Our yellow lab is a like another child :cool:

phebus
01-12-2006, 10:13 PM
To bad for the dog :rolleyes:
Our yellow lab is a like another child :cool:
Trust me, we are going to be very particular about where the dog get's placed.
We love her very much, and out of kindness for her, want her to go to a very loving home, that will care for her like we do.

RiverDave
01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Can't put a doggy door on a side entrance to the garage or something? I know a few guys with dogs out there that stay outside (both winter and summer). Ducky's dog has pretty thick fur, and it stays outside with no problem?
The dog should shed it's inner coat pretty quick once it gets warm.
RD

Brooski
01-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey, I may be interested. Even though she is mostly an outside dog, is she housetrained? Hyper or mellow? I have a medium size yard, but will take my dog when I go camping and stuff. Would like to see pics and see her too.

voodooCanoe
01-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Keep the dog and shave it!
I have a yellow lab and every summer I give her a crew cut. Take her fur down almost to the skin. She loves it, looks a little skinny, but sure stays cool. I do that about 3-4 times then let it grow back for winter.
Also helps with allergies! No more shedding and dander. Could be the answer for you???
Would hate to have you part with such a big part of the family.

Mtg Pro
01-13-2006, 06:13 AM
How about Donaldson ?

phebus
01-13-2006, 06:16 AM
How about Donaldson ?
I wouldn't do that to the dog :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Keep the dog and shave it!
I have a yellow lab and every summer I give her a crew cut. Take her fur down almost to the skin. She loves it, looks a little skinny, but sure stays cool. I do that about 3-4 times then let it grow back for winter.
Also helps with allergies! No more shedding and dander. Could be the answer for you???
Would hate to have you part with such a big part of the family.
I think she would get sunburned. We had a yellow lab that we had to shave for skin issues one time (allergic to fleas :rolleyes: ) and we had to let her inside because she got sunburned. Unless the dog had ample shade and was smart enough to stay under it, it'd be a mess.
I will cross my fingers and vouch for Brooski's character. Well, at least his wife's. :rollside: Seriously, your dog could go to no better place.

phebus
01-13-2006, 06:25 AM
I have been told by people that live there full time, that the summer heat would be too much for an outside dog. Dunno, maybe it would be O.K.
As far as a doggy door to the garage, I think it gets hotter in a non-cooled garage out there, then outside. I know wiping down the boat in the garage almost kills me.
As far as shaving the dogs fur, the vet reccomended against it, saying the sun on its skin could be very bad, and the dogs coat gives it protection.
I will be calling a vet out there today, and getting opinions on what would be best, but our decision to get rid of her, was based on talking to people out there, and trying to do what was best.
The dog is a real lover. Loves everyone (if your looking for a watch dog, this isn't it), and is mellow. She is house trained, and her only flaw is she likes to explore, so you can't have her outside without keeping an eye on her, or you'll find her several houses down.

phebus
01-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Pics will be posted in a little bit. She is doing her hair, and putting her makeup on now. :rollside:

phebus
01-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Oh, and no Frenchie jokes please!! That means you Jordy :rollside:

mac28
01-13-2006, 06:30 AM
I live in San Diego and would love to take the dog. I love yellow labs. She would have to put up with my beagle, but my wife and I would spoil her. Is she good with kids, cats, and other dogs?

ahhell
01-13-2006, 06:48 AM
We got our labs one of those kiddie pools, they never want to come in the house now...even at 115 in the shade :rollside:

waterwitch
01-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Brooski's would be a GREAT home for the doggie.
Phebus, here are two numbers to local vets.
The first one is the one we use.
Dr. Litchfield 928.855.9450
Dr. Novack 928.855.0588
I think you are making a very hard, but responsible decision.
We have a golden retriever, but most of the time she is indoors.
Due to my son's allergies, we bought a dyson vacuum and have to use
it everyday. (works great)

phebus
01-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Brooski's would be a GREAT home for the doggie.
Phebus, here are two numbers to local vets.
The first one is the one we use.
Dr. Litchfield 928.855.9450
Dr. Novack 928.855.0588
I think you are making a very hard, but responsible decision.
We have a golden retriever, but most of the time she is indoors.
Due to my son's allergies, we bought a dyson vacuum and have to use
it everyday. (works great)
Thank you very much, I will be calling prior to making any decision.
What is your experience out there with large breed dogs that live primarily outside?
Thanks

waterwitch
01-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Honestly it is hard on them. If they have a pool and alot of
shade they can adjust.
I think my concern with your dog would be that he has never
experienced the heat. But there are a ton of dogs that do stay
outside. I just don't think it's very fair, and I am sure you love your
dog like we do.
I don't want to go out in that heat, I can't imagine a dog with fur
wanting to either.
But like someone else said, we do shave our dog in the summer.
(she looks dorky but cooler) There are ways around it, but I guess
it really depends on your childs doctor.
Anything I can do to help you from this end just let me know. :boxed:

Hallett
01-13-2006, 07:50 AM
master cooler in the garage works great they cost about
500 dollers installed and work great. we have had two
labs with no problems we have lived here for 16 years.
and the kids pool works great the only problem is geting
them out of the pool. hope this helps.

drejustice
01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
We just rescued our second Lab (Gunner)2 weeks before xmas. He's made himself right at home with our other Lab(Floyd). We got lucky as they are both very mellow and only 2 months apart in age and play well together. Floyd's on the Left and being used By Gunner as a pillow.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10525&stc=1

HOOTER SLED-
01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Not another dog thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Caribbean Jet
01-13-2006, 08:46 AM
We just rescued our second Lab (Gunner)2 weeks before xmas. He's made himself right at home with our other Lab(Floyd). We got lucky as they are both very mellow and only 2 months apart in age and play well together. Floyd's on the Left and being used By Gunner as a pillow.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10525&stc=1
That's great, they look very happy. I hope that you have another couch though, it looks as if they take up the whole thing.

Flashover
01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Not another dog thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
See this is your chance to get a dog who loves it outside but is also housetrained. Thats all the headaches phebus already indured for you. and you will be the big hero around the house for getting a dog... :crossx: :crossx:

HOOTER SLED-
01-13-2006, 08:56 AM
See this is your chance to get a dog who loves it outside but is also housetrained. Thats all the headaches phebus already indured for you. and you will be the big hero around the house for getting a dog... :crossx: :crossx:
Hmmmmm. Wonder if he trained the dog to make it's big ass shits disappear into thin air??? :rollside:

Flashover
01-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Maybee you can cut a deal with the wife. If she wants the dog she cleans up the shit. It may not happen but it will give you something to say when the yard is full of scuds.. :crossx:

phebus
01-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Here's some pic's. Not very good, will post more later.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1753DSCN1379-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1753DSCN1374-med.JPG

Flashover
01-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Wow there is no way i would be able to let that dog go. He looks like a good dog. I feel bad for you having to make that decision. :cry:

Her454
01-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Phebus..... I would be willing to take her from you....I love Labs and have 5 acres for her to play on with a Male Queensland that she would have to keep her company. However, my five acres is fenced for cattle, not dogs as my Queensland does not stray so that may be an issue if she is a runner. I dont want to tie a dog or kennel them but she would stay in the house at night..... And, most important, I assume she is good with children but I need to know. I would be willing to come half way to pick her up if it works out...send me a PM or let me know.
Traci

phebus
01-13-2006, 09:44 AM
The dog is great with children, and other pets. She does wander when let outside, and would need to be trained to stay in an unfenced yard.
One more pic from about a year ago:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1753DSCN0060.JPG

Rexone
01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
My brother lives in Havasu and kept his Border Collie outside without issues. Has a large pen with a large shaded area, and a kiddie pool. Also has a swamp cooler in garage (not hyper expensive to buy or run) and ran a duct to the dog house area when hot.
Swamp cooler in garage could have doggie door possibilities too.
Just ideas. Lots of people in Havasu and the river have dogs that do fine once acclamated. Good luck with whatever you decide. I know how hard it would be to give up my dog.

Her454
01-13-2006, 09:59 AM
My brother lives in Havasu and kept his Border Collie outside without issues. Has a large pen with a large shaded area, and a kiddie pool. Also has a swamp cooler in garage (not hyper expensive to buy or run) and ran a duct to the dog house area when hot.
Swamp cooler in garage could have doggie door possibilities too.
Just ideas. Lots of people in Havasu and the river have dogs that do fine once acclamated. Good luck with whatever you decide. I know how hard it would be to give up my dog.
I agree with Mike as I took my Shepherd (long haired) from Nor Cal to Havasu and she had no problems as long as she was kept cool with a kiddie pool and she was always at the lake with me too.
My only concern is living close to a country road that people travel on very fast and I would absolutely hate to have her wander out there while trying to teach her to stay close to the house. Might have to tie her (yuck) until she is comfortable and knows its home....... Up to you in your decision but I am still willing to take her if you decide to let her go.

topless
01-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I agree with Mike as I took my Shepherd (long haired) from Nor Cal to Havasu and she had no problems as long as she was kept cool with a kiddie pool and she was always at the lake with me too.
My only concern is living close to a country road that people travel on very fast and I would absolutely hate to have her wander out there while trying to teach her to stay close to the house. Might have to tie her (yuck) until she is comfortable and knows its home....... Up to you in your decision but I am still willing to take her if you decide to let her go.
If you do get her Traci, I can keep her at my house till you come and get her........Oh as a matter of fact, I'm going to be on vacation the end of the month so I can bring her to you. :idea: (I'm being jealous just thinking of jello shots at your house)

Her454
01-13-2006, 10:11 AM
If you do get her Traci, I can keep her at my house till you come and get her........Oh as a matter of fact, I'm going to be on vacation the end of the month so I can bring her to you. :idea: (I'm being jealous just thinking of jello shots at your house)
Thanks, that would actually work out......... you could finally help me pick out that damn horse LOL.............

topless
01-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks, that would actually work out......... you could finally help me pick out that damn horse LOL.............Oh that would be great. I'll ever test ride the horse for ya. :crossx:

Beautiful Noise
01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Here's our Yellow lab at the River enjoying the Sandbar...........My wife has always said that I would go before the Dog goes :rolleyes:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/607Chelsea___Sandbar-med.JPG

Beautiful Noise
01-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Oh as a matter of fact, I'm going to be on vacation the end of the month so I can bring her to you. :idea: (I'm being jealous just thinking of jello shots at your house)
Your just looking forward to Sleeping in a real House instead of that Trailer :)

Her454
01-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Your just looking forward to Sleeping in a real House instead of that Trailer :)
I was actually going to put her in the trailer out back to make her feel comfortable. Its got plastic over the windows and one of Jordys stolen generators to make her feel right at home.

Sleek-Jet
01-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Here's our Yellow lab at the River enjoying the Sandbar...........My wife has always said that I would go before the Dog goes :rolleyes:
So how old is the Dog??? Should you be getting your affairs in order??? :D :D :D

waterwitch
01-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Phebus the swapcooler in the garage is a GREAT idea. I
hadn't thought of that. My mother in law does it for her
cat. (yes I said cat) you could always put up misters, and
with a pool she would probably do great.
She is a beautiful dog! I know she would probably rather be a
little hot then away from her family. If you think about it, we only
have extreme heat for 3-4 months. (but it's a dry heat. :rolleyes: )

topless
01-13-2006, 11:40 AM
I was actually going to put her in the trailer out back to make her feel comfortable. Its got plastic over the windows and one of Jordys stolen generators to make her feel right at home.You are so kind and thoughtful.

RiverDave
01-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Again, with a kiddie pool outside I think the dog would be fine. I take my dog all summer long, and even on the hottest weekends she prefers to sit outside in the sun, and then go into the shade every once in awhile.
Being that I'd hate to see you get rid of your dog, I'd be willing to help you out a little bit. I have these misters that cover about a 10 diameter circle. You can hang one in the back yard, and it will cool a large enough area so that the dog can go sit under it whenever it gets to hot. Costs all of about a dollar a day to run.
Lemme know.
RD

slink
01-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I always knew Deb was the smart one :p (pm me with how the cart is coming)

Rexone
01-13-2006, 11:47 AM
I forgot to mention my brother also uses misters. Another great tool to beat the heat. :)

ROZ
01-13-2006, 12:17 PM
a Male Queensland that she would have to keep her company.
However, my five acres is fenced for cattle, not dogs as my Queensland does not stray so that may be an issue if she is a runner. I dont want to tie a dog or kennel them but she would stay in the house at night..... And, most important, I assume she is good with children but I need to know. I would be willing to come half way to pick her up if it works out...send me a PM or let me know.
Traci
Traci,
Been around Queenslands since I was a kid... It's the last breed my parents will ever own.. Chance is that your queensland will keep the new dog "corraled" on your property until she knows the ropes... Seen it before...
I have a "runner" when my mother's other queensland was alive, he'd bring my retriever back... pretty cool....

2Driver
01-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Trust me, we are going to be very particular about where the dog get's placed.
We love her very much, and out of kindness for her, want her to go to a very loving home, that will care for her like we do.
So why not keep her? She will be in heaven with the lake there. We lived there for 5 years and had a Chesapeake Bay retriever and he nearly froze to death when we moved to San Diego. HE went everywhere we did. He was too and outside dog, you just need to make some provisions for them.

maxwedge
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey, that's how Sadie swims too! Keep at least too feet on something that floats at all times. Use claws if nessecary. Sinking humans, innertubes, and small boats is ok as long as she's still floating LOL :crossx: Can't imagine giving her up for anything though. :cry:

pixilatedpussy
01-13-2006, 12:26 PM
We have a 5 year old female (spayed) yellow lab, that we unfortunately have to find a new home for. We are in the process of moving to Lake Havasu, and the dog is primarily an outside dog (due to my daughter's asthma).
Outside dogs don't fare well in the heat of summer, so out of concern and kindness to the dog we love, we would like to find a good caring home for her.
Those interested, please contact me, and I will try to pick what I feel would be the best placement for her. She is great with other dogs, kids, etc.
I will post pictures of her in the morning.
Thanks,
Rick
Hi Rick, I might be interested....if you do not have a home for her yet. Recently my mom & step dad had to put down my childhood yellow lab. She was 15 years old & just a love! My mom has been crushed ever since they put Taffy to sleep. Christmas was a lonely one & my boys were sad when Taffy wasnt under the Christmas tree with them at Nana's house. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Tina
Im not too far from ya..just a hop down the toll road. :p

2LKHVSU
01-13-2006, 12:27 PM
She's really sweet looking. Our girls have never had a dog..how is she with young kids? She would have to be outside here too since I am allergic.

Her454
01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Traci,
Been around Queenslands since I was a kid... It's the last breed my parents will ever own.. Chance is that your queensland will keep the new dog "corraled" on your property until she knows the ropes... Seen it before...
I have a "runner" when my mother's other queensland was alive, he'd bring my retriever back... pretty cool....
Too funny because thats exactly what I was thinking but wasn't sure about it. He is good like that. Queenslands are very protective also..... he is a great dog.
Looks like Phebus may keep her now though.....

topless
01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Too funny because thats exactly what I was thinking but wasn't sure about it. He is good like that. Queenslands are very protective also..... he is a great dog.
Looks like Phebus may keep her now though.....Did you notice how Pixi is trying to snake your new dog?

pixilatedpussy
01-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Did you notice how Pixi is trying to snake your new dog? :yuk: :yuk:
I am not.....But this must be fate! Cuz Taffy has been in doggy heaven just about a month now....& my mommy is sad. :cry:

Her454
01-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Did you notice how Pixi is trying to snake your new dog?
No I didnt, but Im not surprised being as she laughed at my frustration yesterday. This is just another way to get at me LOL. :cry: :rollside:

topless
01-13-2006, 12:45 PM
No I didnt, but Im not surprised being as she laughed at my frustration yesterday. This is just another way to get at me LOL. :cry: :rollside:
She's just like that.

pixilatedpussy
01-13-2006, 12:48 PM
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :D :D

pixilatedpussy
01-13-2006, 12:48 PM
She's just like that.
:220v: :yuk: :skull: :220v: :yuk: :skull:

topless
01-13-2006, 12:49 PM
:220v: :yuk: :skull: :220v: :yuk: :skull:I have a kitten if you want it.

pixilatedpussy
01-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I have a kitten if you want it.
LMAO!!!!! :p

Her454
01-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I have a kitten if you want it.
Too funny...............

riverroyal
01-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I think she will be fine.My dads neighbor has 2 big outside dogs,they have a kiddie pool the get in when its hot,then the shade.The dog can adapt to the weather,theres 1000s of dogs in arizona!Dont be scared

phebus
01-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Really, this is as much about my daughter's asthma as is is about the dog. When my daughter was young, she had asthma bad, to the point where she had to be hospitalized at times. As she grew older, she got better, was able to go off the meds, and seemed to outgrow it. Now, for some reason, she has had it return, and is back on meds, and an inhaler at times.
We love the dog, and if we adopt her out, it will be harder on my daughter than anyone. It is a very tough decision, and one I'm not rushing into, but if the decision is made to place the dog in another home, it will be made with both my daughter's health, and the health of the dog considered. I don't know if it would be fair to the dog to move out to Havasu in July, and have the dog exiled to outside.
Tough decision................, but trying to do what's right in the big picture. :(

riverroyal
01-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Really, this is as much about my daughter's asthma as is is about the dog. When my daughter was young, she had asthma bad, to the point where she had to be hospitalized at times. As she grew older, she got better, was able to go off the meds, and seemed to outgrow it. Now, for some reason, she has had it return, and is back on meds, and an inhaler at times.
We love the dog, and if we adopt her out, it will be harder on my daughter than anyone. It is a very tough decision, and one I'm not rushing into, but if the decision is made to place the dog in another home, it will be made with both my daughter's health, and the health of the dog considered. I don't know if it would be fair to the dog to move out to Havasu in July, and have the dog exiled to outside.
Tough decision................, but trying to do what's right in the big picture. :(
my son has asthma,pretty bad,breathing machine twice a day etc.Dog hasnt bothered him,but you gotta do what keeps her healthy.Will the weather there help the asthma?

No Regrets
01-14-2006, 11:29 AM
If you still have her, PM me. We have 3 fenced acres and our dogs altho outside only, live like royalty. She's more than welcome to come hang w/ these 2
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/458Hallie_027.jpg
Brian

1Shockwaveguy
01-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I live in Havasu full time and have 2 dogs here. Granted, most of the time they are inside with me but when I leave I put them in the garage with the swamp cooler going and they are more than fine. If your yard is fenced, but a dog door in the man door going into your garage and run the swamper. No problem

phebus
01-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks to everyone for the responses, and the offers to provide a good home for our yellow lab, but we have found a way to make things work.
A good family friend has agreed to care of her during the tansition, while we prepare our new home, and install a swamp cooler in the garage.
Again, we can't thank everyone enough,
Rick, Linda, and Nicole

dicudmore
01-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks to everyone for the responses, and the offers to provide a good home for our yellow lab, but we have found a way to make things work.
A good family friend has agreed to care of her during the tansition, while we prepare our new home, and install a swamp cooler in the garage.
Rick, Linda, and Nicole
glad to hear its all working out :D :D

Brooski
01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Rick, Linda, and Nicole
Now that is some great news. Glad to hear you won't be losing a part of your family. I have my garage set up with a large doggie door for the dog. She loved it.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Cool deal. Glad to hear it. I'm sure she will be fine.

Brooski
01-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Cool deal. Glad to hear it. I'm sure she will be fine.
Nice play on words.....lol :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Throttle
01-15-2006, 10:57 PM
rick, glad things worked out... i wuz lookin for a yellow dog that would match my boat...