PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's kids race BMX bikes

Kilrtoy
08-21-2006, 10:25 PM
The kid has been bugging me and Im finally breaking down and gonna let him do it...
Why kinda bike do you recommend.
Im really leaning towards the
REDLINE PROLINE JUNIOR

Spotondl
08-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Redline rocks Miguel... Been that way for decades...

Roxysnow
08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Man...BMX. I couldn't tell you what the current bikes are but I remember Haro, GT, Mongoose, Diamond Back... Good luck, He'll be good at it!

KACHINA KEN
08-21-2006, 10:47 PM
The kid has been bugging me and Im finally breaking down and gonna let him do it...
REDLINE PROLINE JUNIOR
Redline is sweet, Hutch is awesome as well.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Get a real focus on the specific bike ya want.
If you take the bike dealers word for it, a good chance they'll push dead stock on you.
I got my son together with his friends and talked to them and their parents and new exactly what we wanted when we walked into the bike dealer.
And of course, the bike shops tried to pawn off obsolete crap.
They may all look similar, but their are differences.
Name brand still may have obsolete models sitting on the floor, so eyes wide open. Always ask for a deal beyond the listed floor price.
They're super heavy now which suprised us. Your son could push start a Buick or pull out tree stumps with them.

RitcheyRch
08-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Dont know anyone that races it now. Had a few friends back in high school (the early 80's) that raced and did well.
Might be best to go to a race and see what most of the kids are using.

TCN
08-22-2006, 05:37 AM
Miguel, talk to Cameron (Throttle) because his son races and is really good. He could help you out on a bike and gear choice and maybe even some pointers for your son. I used to race when I was a kid but Diamondback was my bike of choice back then. Redline has always been really good, but if I could do it again I would have an SE PK Ripper. They still make them and they are an incredible bike and anyone who knows BMX and the history of it has to love this bike. Nick

NOTALENT
08-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Miguel, talk to Cameron (Throttle) because his son races and is really good. He could help you out on a bike and gear choice and maybe even some pointers for your son. I used to race when I was a kid but Diamondback was my bike of choice back then. Redline has always been really good, but if I could do it again I would have an SE PK Ripper. They still make them and they are an incredible bike and anyone who knows BMX and the history of it has to love this bike. Nick
You are a wise man... :rollside: The PK Ripper was an unstoppable bike when I was racing, can you believe I use to hit up sheep hills with that bike..haha. I also raced an Auburn. Both bikes were lighter then most if not all of the other bikes out there. As I got older I Raced the Schwinn Pro Mod XL. I wont tell you how much I had invested in that... :jawdrop:

OutCole'd
08-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Is there a track in Havasu?
Who sanctions it?

yzfrider
08-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Depending on how serious your son is about racing. If he is going to try it to see if he likes it then go with a Redline or Specialized. For a kit bike they are about as good as you are going to get. If he is a good rider and is really into it. You may want to look at building him a bike, Staats frames are about as good as it gets for BMX. Make sure you get a bike that fits him.

rivergoer
08-22-2006, 06:08 AM
i use to do alot of freestyle dirt jumping as wel as track racing..back in high school. i would go with either the haro or the redline...redline if you dont want to spend the $$$ on a fully built haro.. fully built = 3 piece cranks, lucky 7 sprocket, low down bars, thin tires and rims,unless hes going for jumps then you want thin in rear and fat in front. i usually used pit bull brakes only in the back though...but know they have the disc brakes they are bitc hen. but any how...haro i think is the best personally..lighter than most, but great solid strong frame.

NOTALENT
08-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Here is SE Racings website....The PK Ripper is still going strong...pretty cool to see how far they have come. The original fram was just shy of 4lbs. The lightest frame built.
http://www.sebikes.com/2006/index.asp

blackcloud75
08-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Miguel,
Make it a family sport, get bikes for the both of you....

HOOTER SLED-
08-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Here is SE Racings website....The PK Ripper is still going strong...pretty cool to see how far they have come. The original fram was just shy of 4lbs. The lightest frame built.
http://www.sebikes.com/2006/index.asp
I didn't know they still made PK Rippers. I rode Powerlites when I raced. I can't believe this sport has not made a bigger comeback. I used to love racing.

OutCole'd
08-22-2006, 06:34 AM
My wife bought this for my birthday last month.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075jpg.jpg

RitcheyRch
08-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Nice
My wife bought this for my birthday last month.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075jpg.jpg

NOTALENT
08-22-2006, 06:45 AM
I didn't know they still made PK Rippers. I rode Powerlites when I raced. I can't believe this sport has not made a bigger comeback. I used to love racing.
I know...haha...They ruled the last few years....Keeping the tradition strong.

yzfrider
08-22-2006, 06:59 AM
SE was bought out by Fuji bikes. Back in the day GT made all the good bikes, powerlite, robinson etc...
Then a company called Pacifica bikes bought GT and Mongoose a company out of Taiwan. That is why they dont hold the prestige they once did. Although they are now very good bikes for the money.

HOOTER SLED-
08-22-2006, 07:05 AM
The bikes are so damn heavy nowadays too. I remember my Powerlite weighing like 19 lbs. back in the day. :rollside:

Todd969
08-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Wholly crap am I old. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I was a regular at the Corona\Norco YMCA track which was the baddest and pooled at Pipeline and Dana Point. I was riding Torker II, JMC, GT and Kuwahara. This really stirred up some memories, Thanks Miguel.
Little talked about fact: I was a Factory GT pilot 84-85 freestyle team, I still have the 3rd pro performer made. It's an awful baby blue and purple and in 100 peices.

NOTALENT
08-22-2006, 07:29 AM
SE was bought out by Fuji bikes. Back in the day GT made all the good bikes, powerlite, robinson etc...
Then a company called Pacifica bikes bought GT and Mongoose a company out of Taiwan. That is why they dont hold the prestige they once did. Although they are now very good bikes for the money.
I thought they were bought by Advanced Sports Inc....??? Is the fuji bikes??

KACHINA KEN
08-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Wholly crap am I old. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I was a regular at the Corona\Norco YMCA track which was the baddest and pooled at Pipeline and Dana Point. I was riding Torker II, JMC, GT and Kuwahara. This really stirred up some memories, Thanks Miguel.
Little talked about fact: I was a Factory GT pilot 84-85 freestyle team, I still have the 3rd pro performer made. It's an awful baby blue and purple and in 100 peices.
I always wanted a Kuwahara til I saw ET and thought they were totally gay after that :rollside:
I started out on a supergoose then got a blazer ( made in Texas ) and then a Schwinn Sting. It was so cool to go to a national and meet your heros, I was the biggest frickin Stu ( Stompin Stu Thompson ) fan back then.

MR HARLEY
08-22-2006, 07:57 AM
My buddy's sons bikes.
Class Bike
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/schmickity/classright.jpg
Cruiser Bike
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/schmickity/cruiserright.jpg

OutCole'd
08-22-2006, 08:02 AM
I poseted this in a BMX thread a while back, but I'm doing it again.
Jeff Kosmala is a customer of mine. Very cool guy, still has a new Koz Cruiser in his garage.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-22-2006, 08:11 AM
REDLINE PROLINE JUNIOR
I used to race back in the earrrrrly 80's. Even back then, REDLINE was well known, and if you rode one....you were cool. I raced an SE QUADANGLE. Sold that puppy on EBAY a couple yrs back and got friggen 600.00 for it!!! So, if REDLINE is still around, I dont think you could go wrong.

jbtrailerjim
08-22-2006, 08:19 AM
I always wanted a Kuwahara til I saw ET and thought they were totally gay after that :rollside:
I started out on a supergoose then got a blazer ( made in Texas ) and then a Schwinn Sting. It was so cool to go to a national and meet your heros, I was the biggest frickin Stu ( Stompin Stu Thompson ) fan back then.
When I was a kid, Stu Thompson had a bike shop right down the street from my house. I used to go in there all the time. He was a way cool guy.
Oh, and the last BMX bike I owned as a kid was a Kuwahara. It was bad ass. :cool:

Todd969
08-22-2006, 08:29 AM
When I was a kid, Stu Thompson had a bike shop right down the street from my house. I used to go in there all the time. He was a way cool guy.
Oh, and the last BMX bike I owned as a kid was a Kuwahara. It was bad ass. :cool:
He sure did. I remember it well. Makes me want to go through the photo containers in storage. :cool:

MKEELINE
08-22-2006, 08:42 AM
I just restored my old Webco ('78 I think) for my 8 year old daughter. The frame and forks(Tange) were the only thing left, so I had to buy all new parts. I went with mostly NOS stuff off ebay, except the cranks(new Redlines). It came out pretty good and she really digs it. I was shocked by how much money these guys are getting for old school BMX stuff on ebay. I could have bought 2 bikes for what I have in this one.

HM
08-22-2006, 09:23 AM
I just restored my old Webco ('78 I think) for my 8 year old daughter. The frame and forks(Tange) were the only thing left, so I had to buy all new parts. I went with mostly NOS stuff off ebay, except the cranks(new Redlines). It came out pretty good and she really digs it. I was shocked by how much money these guys are getting for old school BMX stuff on ebay. I could have bought 2 bikes for what I have in this one.
Webco....now that brings back memories! I had a Webco with Magnesium Mags.

OutCole'd
08-22-2006, 09:27 AM
What tracks did everyone race at??
Youth Center / Van Nuys
Canyon Country
Devonshire Downs
Vegas for the Nationals
Corona
That's all I can think of right now.

slink
08-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Me too, we lived right across the street from the YMCA track. Raced there all the time and occassionly jumped the fence when they were closed :). You would hate to see the place know. The "Y" is still there, but the track is an outdoor "futbol / hockey" rink. Good memories indeed.

8Dayz
08-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Dude I just got back into it. While I am trying to build an old cruiser (Robinson) I just bought the Redline 24" proline cruisr. It is sick for just cruisin the bike path. This bike has 3 pc cranks all the goods it needs nothing.

HOOTER SLED-
08-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Youth Center / Van Nuys
Canyon Country
Devonshire Downs
Vegas for the Nationals
Corona
South Bay here.
Harbor...........San Pedro
Ascot.........Gardena

MKEELINE
08-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Youth Center / Van Nuys
Canyon Country
Devonshire Downs
Vegas for the Nationals
Corona
Covina, off Arrow Hwy.

kphayes
08-22-2006, 10:17 AM
South Bay here.
Harbor...........San Pedro
Ascot.........Gardena
Anybody ever the old Parks(jr. high) track in Fullerton? That was our little home track.

yzfrider
08-22-2006, 10:32 AM
I thought they were bought by Advanced Sports Inc....??? Is the fuji bikes??
Yeah same company

yzfrider
08-22-2006, 10:40 AM
All over the country for about 13 years. Raced in every western state and traveled to some of the eastern states as well.
Home tracks were:
Simi Valley
Cole Canyon
Orange Y
Canyon Country
Bakersield
Temecula
the list goes on...
Those were fun some times traveling and riding with my heros

al cole'holic
08-22-2006, 11:27 AM
..bring the kid out here Kilr to my buddy's shop and talk with him for a while, he's been in and around BMX racing for like 25 years! In fact he worked as a kid in the shop he owns now..
Rick Mclure
Simi Bike Works
2687 Cochran St, Simi
My sister has been taking my nephew to so many fockin races in the last year, he's jumped up dozens of points and she's clocked like 200 hours on the the toy box gen!

mbrown2
08-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Pretty cool...I am restoring a JMC Black Shadow now....almost done!:)....all NOS stuff...Bullseye, Araya, Redline Single Bolt, JMC Frame/Forks...
Kilr, I have no idea what is cool today...Redline stuff is nice...try to keep it light...Alum Frames, stay with nice sealer hubs, bottom brackets, 1 3/8 wheels for you size boy, 3 piece cracks (light)....there is a lot of stuff sitting on showrooms but the level of equipment is not very good.

MKEELINE
08-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Somebody might have already suggested this, but, go to a track and check it out. Look at what the other kids in his age group are using. I would imagine they would post bikes for sale there also, might be a good way to get started. It's a great family sport.

Redwing247
08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
REDLINE PROLINE JUNIOR
How'bout DCB BMX :boxed:
j/k Miguel...buy the next bike, so you dont have to buy a second one 6 months later.

Kilrtoy
08-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Pretty cool...I am restoring a JMC Black Shadow now....almost done!:)....all NOS stuff...Bullseye, Araya, Redline Single Bolt, JMC Frame/Forks...
Kilr, I have no idea what is cool today...Redline stuff is nice...try to keep it light...Alum Frames, stay with nice sealer hubs, bottom brackets, 1 3/8 wheels for you size boy, 3 piece cracks (light)....there is a lot of stuff sitting on showrooms but the level of equipment is not very good.
I agree Mike what was cool in the 70's and early 80's is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO outdated now adays and I have no clue....
I used to race a diamond back with the extended Jeff Bottema forks. Loved it...
http://img.timeinc.net/bmx/content/images/bottemaphotos/image7.jpg

havasu haulin
08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Is there a track in Havasu?
Who sanctions it?
ABA Sanctions the track in havasu, it is at sara park or it was when my kids raced ,And for a bike if he is older than 12 a red line would be a good start,if he is younger than a powerlite mini or jr would be a great bike

al cole'holic
08-22-2006, 02:41 PM
..this thread brings back some memories!! Redline, Powerlite, Robinson, Cooks Bros., Uni, Pitbulls, Bear Traps, annodized nipples, GT hubs, 3 piece cranks, snake bellies, "inch and a halfs", "inch and three eighths"....I can go on for hours :cry:

havasu haulin
08-22-2006, 02:47 PM
..this thread brings back some memories!! Redline, Powerlite, Robinson, Cooks Bros., Uni, Pitbulls, Bear Traps, annodized nipples, GT hubs, 3 piece cranks, snake bellies, "inch and a halfs", "inch and three eighths"....I can go on for hours :cry:
You just named about everything in my storage shed out back.

al cole'holic
08-22-2006, 02:52 PM
You just named about everything in my storage shed out back.
...I will fall over if theres a Hutch in there too :D

havasu haulin
08-22-2006, 02:54 PM
...I will fall over if theres a Hutch in there too :D
LOL

superdave013
08-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey Killer, Flatbroke is selling a MINT Planet X Jack Flash frame or complete bike. It would be the perfect bike for an adult to ride street, park or BMX. That way you could roll around with you son.
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1156&d=1155454239
Anyway how much are you looking to spend on your son's bike? Is it going to be race only or will he want to hit the dirt jumps too?

Bense468
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
HARO SX PRO
REDLINE FliGHT OR PROLINE
GT ULTRA BOX
SE RIPPERS
MONGOOSE
FREE AGENT
NORCO
ROBISON

8Dayz
08-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Simi Bike Worx is the place. But Rick does not own the place. He is however the BMX god from that area. I am a moorpark kid and spent lots of time over there.

Kilrtoy
08-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your insight,
i only want to spend around $300, Don't know if he will like it...
He has his thrasher bike and he will have his race bike....
I bought a 07 Redline Proline JR, but it wont be in for 2 months so I swithed it to the Gt power series Junior.
If he likes it and gets good I will then step up and throw down the cash for the better stuff

4day!!
08-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Webco....now that brings back memories! I had a Webco with Magnesium Mags.
Yep the ol' Webco and Powerlite bikes. Ahh, back in the day :cry:

al cole'holic
08-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Simi Bike Worx is the place. But Rick does not own the place. He is however the BMX god from that area. I am a moorpark kid and spent lots of time over there.
...sorry for leaving the technicals out, so he's been working for Doug and Pat since he was about 15 and now a "partner"...not to mention he's got the same soccer rocker hairdo... :boxed:

8Dayz
08-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Love his hair. It screams 80's Simi. Still BMX guru.

Throttle
08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Klr, call me...

tcook33
08-22-2006, 08:16 PM
...sorry for leaving the technicals out, so he's been working for Doug and Pat since he was about 15 and now a "partner"...not to mention he's got the same soccer rocker hairdo... :boxed:
HAHA! The hair is the sh*t. He rocks that sh*t like he owns the place!! :) Just walk in and tell them you know "Thunder", Pat will freak... :220v:
I just bought my road bike from Rick a few months ago. I know, I know. I'm a fag. Whatever. At least I dont ride with spandex. I run the boardshorts still.

DUNDUN
08-22-2006, 08:28 PM
i quit racing around 5 years ago because my parents just got sick of taking me and my bro twice a week while living in south orange county.. haha
i didnt read the entire thread cuz i dont have that kind of patience.
but it depends on his age, when i started racing at six, i rode a gt mini mach one.
then i stepped up to a powerlite p-71 expert when i was 10..
i used to race at
lake perris
orange y
coal canyon
kearny mesa
and rancho bmx
i had alot of fun, and my parents did too, i suggest it to any parents, its a very fun way to spend a friday night.

JETEATER
08-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I had that same bike tell it was stolen at school
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16877

JETEATER
08-22-2006, 09:00 PM
But mine had a set of motomags