PDA

View Full Version : Another question for BoatCop.....

HavasuSelect
08-22-2006, 04:29 PM
.....or anyone that might be able to help
If polygraphs are inadmissable in court why do most Police Departments administer them in the background checks for new hires?
Thanks in advance.
Eric

Boatcop
08-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Easy.
To see if they're lying.
Polygraphs are pretty reliable, even if they generally aren't admissible in Criminal Proceedings. At least as far as the prosecution is concerned. The defense can introduce evidence of the defendant passing a polygraph, but only if the prosecution is allowed to conduct their own examination, and introduce their own findings.
The only thing polygraphs are used for in the hiring process is to verify answers given on a pre-employment questionnaire. They are also used in internal investigations, in certain circumstances. (Some police Unions have it in their contracts to NOT be subject to Polygraph examinations)
Questions asked on a polygraph all have Yes/No answers. The instrument measures involuntary physical reactions, like breathing, pulse rate, blood pressure, sweating, etc. The body reacts in certain ways when outright lying. The subject goes over all the questions before the test, so there are no surprises.
Since the subject knows the questions and their answers beforehand, one of the first questions is usually "Do you intend to lie to me during this test?" or at the end, "Did you answer all questions truthfully?" In certain circumstances, they may even ask that some questions be re-worded, so as not to be too incriminating or unfair.
For an example, there could be a question like "Do you love Little Girls?". Anyone with a young daughter or grand-daughter would register a lie if they said NO, or give the wrong impression if they said YES. So that question would be re-worded to something like "Do you have sexual feelings for little girls?".
They mostly verify a prospective employees claims regarding prior drug use, criminal activities, and the like. The test is voluntary. If the person doesn't want to undergo the test, then they can simply withdraw their application. Any answers that reveal derogatory items can't be used against them except in the hiring process.

Kilrtoy
08-22-2006, 05:56 PM
here is the case and following proceeedings inregards to court
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm00262.htm
But why do PD's and other people use them, Im lost myself...

Riomouse911
08-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Just the thought of a poly often weeds out a lot of goofs trying to fly under the radar. Of course there are people who can pass polys even when being deceitful, and some folks are terminally guilty when questioned and fail when they are telling the truth. I guess thats why they aren't used in Court, but they area a tool a background investigator can use to find good and bad stuff in people's backgrounds.

RP2
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Much like the psychological test, it is used as a tool only. If the agency is not comfortable with the candidates answers on either of these tests, the agency will simply dissqualify the peson.
They will usually invite the potential employee to take a second Poly if they fail the first one.
Defense Attorneys will sometimes have their clients take a Poly and if they pass they will let the world know the client is not guilty because he passed a Poly... O.J. comes to mind in this scenario.
The motto for most background investigators is "if you lie, you die" which generally holds true. If you are upfront with past issues, they will sometimes let it slide with a letter of explination. But lie and get caught and youre done.

HavasuSelect
08-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Thank You to everyone for their responses. I can see how the poly can be used as a helpful tool to weed out dishonest candidates. The reason why I asked the question in the first place is because I have my doubts about the accuracy of it. Ultimately it is a machine and machines can and will make mistakes under some circumstances. When you're hooked up to the machine it kind of feels like you're lying even when you're telling the truth. Also, for me personally if I know somebody is monitoring my breathing I will sub- consciously alter my breathing, not on purpose it just happens. Kind of like at a doctor's office. From what I understand that can be a factor in the outcome of the test.

Huckleberry
08-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes they are machines, and therefore could make a mistake. But, everyone who is hooked up to a polygraph machine feels the stress of some type. It is assumed that everyone will have an elevated stress level when hooked up. That is why they give you a set of questions with known answers in the beginning. They commonly ask questions like is your name RiverDave? "Yes" Do you work for Acme Police Dept? "Yes" Do you wear women's underwear? "No." When he answers "No," the machine goes into TILT mode!!! This establishes how far off the already elevated stress level you go if you are telling a lie or not.