PDA

View Full Version : I have a lame question....

bunny 166
08-22-2006, 11:20 PM
I have never backed up any of my picture files...How many pics can you fit on an average disk? I'm going to buy some tomorrow...what kind work the best for saving pictures? Thanks....

YeLLowBoaT
08-22-2006, 11:26 PM
it all depends on what qualtiy you want. If you want to save pics that you can have printed out latter in 4x6. You can get about 200-250 per 650 meg disk. If you want to print them out 8x10 about 100. If all you want to do is save them for latter about a 1000.

Kilrtoy
08-22-2006, 11:36 PM
I have yet to receive my new edition :220v: :crossx: :mad:
So when Do I get them
My B-DAY IS IN TWO WEEKS

Rexone
08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
You might consider an external hard drive. There are some nice ones that hold a lot and don't cost a ton. If you have a lot of files that is. I use an 120gb Iomega via USB connection.

FMluvswater
08-22-2006, 11:40 PM
You might consider an external hard drive. There are some nice ones that hold a lot and don't cost a ton. If you have a lot of files that is. I use an 120gb Iomega via USB connection.
Wow you're even more spoiled than me. :smile: Mine's 80 GB and is doing a great job with not just pics but music files too. :cool:

djunkie
08-23-2006, 02:22 AM
I've been thinking of doing the same. Would suck to have my computer crash and loose all my pics and music. :cry:

Cheap Thrills
08-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Not a lame question at all.
The External hard drive is a good way to go. Or another internal HD for data storage. I learned years ago to never store data on my system drive. Always buy the biggest drive you can afford. you will fill it up eventually. :) backing up to CDs is fine too just stay away from the cheap disk like house brands they tend to loose their foil and crack. Those gold disk from Staples aren't worth a damn. I've found DVDs to be much more durable and with the cost of a burner now a days it would cost about the same if not less than an ext. HD.
C.T. :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2006, 05:53 AM
That's a great way to go. I got 120 gig external drive from buy.com for less than $100.
I had a drive failure a couple years ago that wiped out everything. When I called a drive recovery service, they reminded me that the failure rate on hard drives is 100%.
It's not a question of "if"...just "when". :cry:

Riverless
08-23-2006, 06:06 AM
check out maxtor's external drives. you can set the software up to automatically backup all your files. :)
http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/Main/home_home_office.html

Parker Dreamin
08-23-2006, 07:18 AM
External hard drive is the way to go.... and you get a free sync program to pack up EVERYTHING about once a month, it is nice to have the added security of knowing you wont loose anything.. plus is something tragic happens, you can just grab the drive and run....
that way all of us HB pervs can still get pictures from you....ahhaah