PDA

View Full Version : Wanting To Do Something Nice For The Troops And It Is Getting Complicated :(

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 12:26 PM
So, I came up with this idea to put together 20 boxes with $50. worth of stuff for 20 troops serving in Iraq. My company would foot the bill and my Mother (retired military wife) would pick out the stuff to go in the boxes and off they would go. The only thing I would want in return is a short letter by the military person that got the package just letting us know a little about themselves...you know, where they are from, what made them decide to enlist, how many years served, etc. Anyhow....so I call up a buddy and he wants to participate also. So now I think.....I am going to send out an em to my friends, family, business associates and see who else wants to get involved with it. I suspect I will have a pretty good amount of participatation.
I thought I better call my accountant before I sent out the em and sure enough there are ramifications to doing this. How will the others pay? If to my company it would show up as income so I shot that down. He advised me to affiliate myself with an exsisting non-profit where the participants would write out checks to them, I act on their behalf and they reimburse me for the costs.
This shit is getting too involved so I think I will just send out my 20 boxes of goodies and be done with it.
Why does it have to get so friggin' complicated? This should be a very simple thing to do but it isn't and it has me a little pissed off :mad:

ChumpChange
08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I thought I better call my accountant before I sent out the em and sure enough there are ramifications to doing this. How will the others pay? If to my company it would show up as income so I shot that down. He advised me to affiliate myself with an exsisting non-profit where the participants would write out checks to them, I act on their behalf and they reimburse me for the costs.
This shit is getting too involved so I think I will just send out my 20 boxes of goodies and be done with it.
Why does it have to get so friggin' complicated? This should be a very simple thing to do but it isn't and it has me a little pissed off :mad:
Are you looking for a tax break or something? Why can't people just pay you cash or write checks to you personally? Problem solved, no accountant needed.

ChumpChange
08-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I suspect there will be some business accounts that will want to participate and they will need proper accounting procedures applied due to being public companies and so forth. I don't think individuals supplying a box or two would complicate it. I will be paying by company check and will keep the reciept and yes, I will list it as a donation for my $1K.
Then you would have to sign up with an authorized 501c company. I would look for a church to help you with this. I think you are thinking too large with this idea. Although it would be good if large public companies participated, I don't really see that as realistic for something this small.

ChumpChange
08-23-2006, 12:45 PM
If you offset the income of your company with the donation, then you'll be closer to break even. Of course, the companies that donate to your cause, would not be able to write off the donation as your company is not non-profit.

socalmoney
08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
This works very well and is a great program
http://www.anysoldier.com/ Go here to find a soldier and find out what they really are in need of. If it is a group purchase I would suggest buying the more expensive tactical gear that is usually beyond the reach of the average soldier or wife of a soldier to purchase. IE flashlights, EOTech Sights etc.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/anysopr.html Go here to buy them goods. They will give you 10% off and ship it for you.

C-2
08-23-2006, 12:58 PM
You can always do it thru Karen Gill from Lake Havasu City and her Marine Corps charity. Here is an email she sent:
We shipped 74 Care Packages yesterday! No wonder my truck was so full and I was so exhausted. 49 packages were Dinner Care Packages, 10 were Humanitarian Aid Packages, and 15 were Happy Feet Care Packages (Socks, Soap, Detergent, Foot Powder).
Last month we shipped 134 care packages (totaling $1558.55 in shipping costs) , this month we shipped a total 119 care packages (totaling $1032.45 in shipping costs). We're packing and shipping like crazy here thanks in large part to your generous contributions.
Thank You for Supporting Our Troops!
Sincerely,
Karen Gill
Troops Now & Tomorrow, Inc.
treatsfortroops@yahoo.com

Havasu Luvr
08-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the links. I was just thinking of going to Costco and purchasing whatever my Mother (retired military wife) suggests I get for them. Kind of like a big box of rations, socks, cigs, stuff like that. She is contacting the State Department to inquire as to what would be allowed/disallowed.
I am just leaning towards doing my thing and suggesting others do the same on their own.
Tom, this is a GREAT suggestion which takes heart & sole. Unfortunately our government, the very government our men & women are fighting for, has to many restrictions and liabilities to good hearted peeps like you and others. The easiest way is to take your own advise

Her454
08-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Tom, thats a cool thing you are trying to do. I did something like this awhile back with people from work. Bunch of us got together and just sent it over with a bunch of names we got from the local radio station here in Sac.

HOOTER SLED-
08-24-2006, 07:42 AM
By the way....If any of you have any family members serving in Iraq send me their names and mailing address and I will include them as a recipient of one of the boxes.
Alot of peeps have sent Piper stuff from the boards Tom. :rollside:

cdog
08-24-2006, 07:50 AM
We had a friend over there and sent powder Gatorade (LOTS), a box of skittles and cigars. Send them some comfort stuff. The govt. gives them the basics. BTW Chocolate is a bad idea.

a catered life
08-24-2006, 08:31 AM
i must say i havent done my part until now
i have two twin cousins (girls) who are normally based in texas and north carolina who are now based in southern cal (fort irwin) for training to be shipped out to iraq in oct/nov. i got permission to bring their cavarly unit some real food on saturday....i went up on this past monday just to visit them and brought them a little homecooked food (collard greens, macaroni and cheese, bbq chiscken and hotlinks, cakes) and their unit went crazy :220v: ..they were complaining about the food on base and all they wanted was some real food since most of them were flown in for 45 days they had no cars of their own...so this saturday i will be delivering more food for about 40 soliders.....hey this is the best i can do and be sure it gets to the troops...its to bad i cant do this for the ones that are actually there but every little bit works :p

HOOTER SLED-
08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
If he is till over there get me a mailing address for him please.
Thanks
He is. I think he pops in over here. He's over at ISL alot. I'll hit him up. Let me check my old PMs too for his addy. :rollside:

cdog
08-24-2006, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=DILLIGAF
I hear you and we weren't going to send any chocolate stuff....[/QUOTE]
I hope you didn’t take that the wrong way. I was joking. :)

Havasu Luvr
08-24-2006, 10:00 AM
David....Are either of your sons deployed over to Iraq? If so send me their mailing info and I will add them on to make sure they get a box.
Thanks
Hey Tom, not yet and "Thank You" for your kind thoughts and actions. One is with the 2 ID in Camp Casey Korea (DMZ) and the other is with the 10th Mtn LI 277 ASB. Word just came down from Command that the 10th LI in Iraq is needing 2 sheetmetal, 2 Powerplants and 2 Hydro techs ASAP. Mike is the 3rd powereplant mechanic in line but #2 tech is on medic profile and may NOT be deployable (amber stat). Mike is Green Stat and ready to go although I know he is just as worried as his father is. Right now he is currently on a 10 day FTX with the 10th Mtn LI doing smallarms and explosive qualifications, He is a turbine mechanic so I guess the 10th Mtn wants everyone trained. From what I have read and heard if you have to be on the ground the 10th Mtn LI is 2nd to none. He just finished up a HUGE homecomming (returning from Iraq) for the 2nd Regiment last month. That was a BIG day for Ft Drum's 10th Mtn Brigade :rollside: I guess I am as prepared to hear the news as much as any other parent would be. Everyday we talk to eachother and I am dreading to heard those 2 words "I'm deploying". I have already reserved myself to be on the next flight out to atleast be there to show my support before he deploys.
"Always walking on nails"

Havasu Luvr
08-24-2006, 10:10 AM
i must say i havent done my part until now
i have two twin cousins (girls) who are normally based in texas and north carolina who are now based in southern cal (fort irwin) for training to be shipped out to iraq in oct/nov. i got permission to bring their cavarly unit some real food on saturday....i went up on this past monday just to visit them and brought them a little homecooked food (collard greens, macaroni and cheese, bbq chiscken and hotlinks, cakes) and their unit went crazy :220v: ..they were complaining about the food on base and all they wanted was some real food since most of them were flown in for 45 days they had no cars of their own...so this saturday i will be delivering more food for about 40 soliders.....hey this is the best i can do and be sure it gets to the troops...its to bad i cant do this for the ones that are actually there but every little bit works :p
Hey CL, That is outstanding ! ! ! I spent 8 of 13 years @ Ft Irwin. The 16 rotaional units that come in for training every year do incur some hard times in the field. At least we had the benefit to return home once in a while during a rotational exercise. The train @ the NTC (National Training Center) is the best if a soldier takes it seriously. Good luck to you and your cousins