PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Recipe's

Her454
08-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Cooking a big dinner for some guys that will be doing some major work on my house this weekend. Was going to BBQ some Tri-Tip and cook up some shrimp.
The only way I've ever cooked the shrimp is just saute' it in butter and garlic..........and suggestions?

Her454
08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
i had a friend named bubba, and he died down der by the river that day and he was going to be my shrimpin boat capn and his momma said there was over one hundred and fifty ways to cook shrimp !!!!! you could saute' them, broil them, bbq them, make shrimp gumbo, shrimp kabob's, fry them :) that's all i got to say about that - forrest
ROTFLMAO! Thanks Keys, but Im lookin fer sumthin more sp'cfic. :rollside:

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Cooking a big dinner for some guys that will be doing some major work on my house this weekend. Was going to BBQ some Tri-Tip and cook up some shrimp.
The only way I've ever cooked the shrimp is just saute' it in butter and garlic..........and suggestions?
A Catered Affair is the one to talk to. He will have some good ideas.
Where you at when a lady needs some help ACL?
:)

Riverless
08-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Looks like some good ones here...
Shrimp Recipes (http://www.fishermansexpress.com/shrimprecipes.html)
My personal favorite would have to be the Creamy Fettucine with Shrimp.

bohica
08-23-2006, 02:25 PM
For a big dinner, I'd do a shrimp boil. Look up recipes on the internet. Really easy to do, tastes great and best for large groups.
Basically throw corn on the cob, onions, keilbasa, red potatoes, large shrimp and some shrimp boil seasoning in a large pot, boil it up, pour out the water and dump on a large table lined with paper towels. Serve with mustard and coacktail suace.

lucky
08-23-2006, 02:26 PM
keep it simple -- melt some butter , some salt , and basil , squeeze lemons ( as hard as you would squeeze a mans testicals ) and make a foil Pouch and cook em "

Her454
08-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Im gettin hungry, keep em coming guys! Thanks...........................

GHT
08-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Marinate them for a day in your choice of Marinate (sp?) for a day then make Shrimp Kabobs..... Skew a nice choice of vegie with it.
Also, wrap the shrimp in bacon and put it on the grill.. YUM,,, YUM...

Powerquestboy
08-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Marinade for a day in Tequila and lime juice. Skewer them and grill'em. I like to baste with the left over tequila and lime to keep them moist. Great with Tri Tip

chub
08-23-2006, 02:59 PM
For a big dinner, I'd do a shrimp boil. Look up recipes on the internet. Really easy to do, tastes great and best for large groups.
Basically throw corn on the cob, onions, keilbasa, red potatoes, large shrimp and some shrimp boil seasoning in a large pot, boil it up, pour out the water and dump on a large table lined with paper towels. Serve with mustard and coacktail suace.
Are you at the river?
I'd try and give you the wifes Korean/Chinese version but.....I just don't know what it is. Bohica digs it though.
Oh yeah, the above works well, I've had it.
Sorry I couldn't help more.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-23-2006, 03:10 PM
http://southernfood.about.com/od/shrimprecipes/

RitcheyRch
08-23-2006, 03:46 PM
I love that movie.
i had a friend named bubba, and he died down der by the river that day and he was going to be my shrimpin boat capn and his momma said there was over one hundred and fifty ways to cook shrimp !!!!! you could saute' them, broil them, bbq them, make shrimp gumbo, shrimp kabob's, fry them :) that's all i got to say about that - forrest

Phat Matt
08-23-2006, 04:25 PM
I like to throw them in a bag of Ponzu sauce and then throw them on the BBQ.

Jordy
08-23-2006, 04:56 PM
ROTFLMAO! Thanks Keys, but Im lookin fer sumthin more sp'cfic. :rollside:
Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
Bettah??? :D

Devilman
08-23-2006, 05:02 PM
If the shrimp are big, split them about an inch back. Put a slice of jalapeno & a piece of cheese (cubed cheese works great), wrap with bacon, throw it on the grill for a few minutes, flip 'em pretty often, for about 7-8 minutes or so, depending on how hot your fire is.... Good stuff. Or if you want it quick & easy, either lemon pepper or steak seasoning works good too.
Shrimp boil is good too, I did one Saturday, using the Zataran's seasoning. Worked dammmmm good.
Good luck, although, its hard to screw up shrimp..... :rollside:

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
lol

Her454
08-23-2006, 06:19 PM
You should make a song outta that Jordy :rollside:

robk
08-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I usually sautee in butter, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. But if you're looking for something different, try marinading them for a while in a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, chopped fresh thyme, and a tiny bit of chopped fresh mint. Then just stick 'em on the grill on medium and baste with the leftover marinade.
Rob

Sotally Tober
08-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I second the cheese wrapped in bacon. I usually use jack cheese. Very good. That is how I always BBQ them. Have never tried it with a jalepeno. But sounds good. Just really watch while on the grill as the bacon is so greasy and flares up.

C-2
08-23-2006, 09:02 PM
You're pretty much there already.
Simply take salted butter, minced garlic (fresh, if not the bottled kind is ok), fresh cracked black pepper and a few pinches of parsley flakes, heat in a small bowl or even coffee cup in the micro for about 1-2 minutes.
Throw the shrimp on the grill and cook until white. Then baste them in the garlic butter while on the grill. Only baste at the end cuz you're gonna get flare-ups, which adds to the flavor. No salt at anytime since the butter has plenty. Keep an eye on them since butter will burn quick.
It's surprisingly simple - and always turnkey good.
Personally I don't like to get all crazy fancy with shrimp since it takes away from their flavor.
Ever notice how bacon wrapped anything tastes like......well, bacon.
Know whadda I mean?

THATJEFFGUY
08-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Whatever you do with em, just don't forget the Old Bay seasoning..and lots of it !!

BajaMike
08-23-2006, 10:34 PM
I used to live in New Orleans and my next door neighbor Vickie used to make what they call BBQ shrimp, but it's really broiled not BBQed....this is close to her recipe.... :idea:
4 pounds of raw brown shrimp
1 cup of butter
1 cup of olive oil
1 cup of chili sauce
3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons of garlic
2 teaspoons of parsley
2 teaspoons of oregano
2 teaspoons of cayenne
1 teaspoons of Tabasco sauce
3 tablespoons of liquid smoke
1 tablespoon of KSP
1. Add all ingredients together, except shrimp. Combine over double boiler and whisk until butter melts. Do not overheat or boil. Set aside.
2. Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
3. Toss shrimp in sauce to coat. Spread shrimp evenly over small sheet pans* and roast (I would broil it) for 6 to 8 minutes, or until shrimp are heated through and slightly charred.
* Be sure shrimp are in a single layer and not stacked on top of each other.
This is the BBQ style shrimp that is famous in New Orleans and very, very good. It's something like what they serve as an appetizer at Ruth's Chris Steak house (which started in New Orleans).
Get some french bread and dip it in the sause as you eat the shrimp!
:boxed:

CBadDad
08-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I usually like the simple recipes.
Saute'd in butter n garlic is hard to go wrong.
In the summer, on the BBQ basted with butter n garlic like C-2 does.
But if you wanna get fancy, New Orleans BBQ shrimp is da best. I have Baja Mike's recipe on a fridge magnet I got in the Big Easy a few years ago and use it a couple of times a year. Do it!
Oh ya, Titties & Beer's sounds good...especially the cold beer part. :cool:

a catered life
08-24-2006, 09:30 AM
while that recipe sounds good i dont believe in overpowering my food the oil and butter and chili sauce scared me :220v: but it may be really good for shrimp .....since you already going to bbq some tri tip melt a 1/2 cu butter, add the juice of one lemon, add some garlic powder and onion powder and a dash of tabascco and any cajun seasonings wipe together pour over shrimp marinade for 2-3 hours, skrewer them, and grill..... :p

DILLIGAF
08-24-2006, 09:31 AM
while that recipe sounds good i dont believe in overpowering my food the oil and butter and chili sauce scared me :220v: but it may be really good for shrimp .....since you already going to bbq some tri tip melt a 1/2 cu butter, add the juice of one lemon, add some garlic powder and onion powder and a dash of tabascco and any cajun seasonings wipe together pour over shrimp marinade for 2-3 hours, skrewer them, and grill..... :p
Its about time......lol

a catered life
08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Its about time......lol
lmao :p been on vacation for this week so i dont turn the computer on much

Her454
08-24-2006, 09:52 AM
I usually like the simple recipes.
Saute'd in butter n garlic is hard to go wrong.
In the summer, on the BBQ basted with butter n garlic like C-2 does.
But if you wanna get fancy, New Orleans BBQ shrimp is da best. I have Baja Mike's recipe on a fridge magnet I got in the Big Easy a few years ago and use it a couple of times a year. Do it!
Oh ya, Titties & Beer's sounds good...especially the cold beer part. :cool:
Both of these sound good so Im making up two separate batches of shrimp..... indecision sucks LOL. :rollside:
Thanks!

DILLIGAF
08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
T...If it were me I would go with the easier one. Since you are already cooking the tri-tip might as well grill it like ACL suggested. I am sure it will come out very good.

Her454
08-24-2006, 09:58 AM
T...If it were me I would go with the easier one. Since you are already cooking the tri-tip might as well grill it like ACL suggested. I am sure it will come out very good.
I guess they wont know what they are missing hu? :rollside:

DILLIGAF
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I guess they wont know what they are missing hu? :rollside:
I would eat anything you would cook just like they will. They will appreciate it and love it. If not throw their asses right out.

Her454
08-24-2006, 10:33 AM
If not throw their asses right out.
As soon as they finish the work LOL. I'm kinda worried tho, I cooked OLDSQUIRT my specialty, MotherLode Lasagna - he finished the work on my boat and I haven't seen him since. That was almost 2 years ago :( He must've realllly thought I made it with possum. :rollside:

DILLIGAF
08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
As soon as they finish the work LOL
Opppps...forgot about that. Maybe you should feed them AFTER the work is done
Well, if your meal kills them AFTERWARDS...you won't get a bill either
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

lucky
08-24-2006, 12:46 PM
hell - just marinate it in tequilla - it will taste good - going down ?

Old Texan
08-24-2006, 01:31 PM
If the shrimp are big, split them about an inch back. Put a slice of jalapeno & a piece of cheese (cubed cheese works great), wrap with bacon, throw it on the grill for a few minutes, flip 'em pretty often, for about 7-8 minutes or so, depending on how hot your fire is.... Good stuff. Or if you want it quick & easy, either lemon pepper or steak seasoning works good too.
Shrimp boil is good too, I did one Saturday, using the Zataran's seasoning. Worked dammmmm good.
Good luck, although, its hard to screw up shrimp..... :rollside:
As a fellow Texan I attest to this being one of the best ways to fix shrimp. Called Shrimp Brochette.
My experience by fire, excuse the cliche, is to use pepper jack or monterrey jack cheese. I also have found that rather than using a direct fire grill, I put them on "The Pit". Here in Texas "The Pit" is a well seasoned BBQ smoker pit made of heavy wall steel pipe with a firebox on one end feeding heat and smoke to slow cook brisket, ribs, chicken, sausage etc. The advantage is the bacon seals the shrimp from absorbing to much smoky tast while slow cooking the bacon through and keeping the cheese from melting onto the fire.
I use a pretty wide slice of fresh Jalepeno which is seeded and deveined. The shrimp is also deveined and butterflyed leaving the tail and last shell joint. Jalepeno and cheese inserted in the split shrimp and secured with a toothpick or multiples on a skewer.
Baste intially with a butter, lime or lemo juice, garlic baste. No need to marinate as the flavors of the ingredients are what is going to make it delicious. Baste a couple times during cooking.
The key to shrimp is to not overcook. On a "pit" @ 250-275 deg you should have everything just right in 30-45 minutes. Open gas or charcoal 8-10.
As a side, serve some shrimp slaw. Cole slaw with generous portions of chopped boiled shrimp mixed in and chiiled overnight.
Cocktail sauce is Ketchup, lemon juice, worshteshire(sp), and horseradishe (sp) premixed and chilled.

a catered life
08-24-2006, 07:52 PM
screw the shrimp lets talk about old texans avator :p yum i take some of that with some butter :rollside:

lucky
08-25-2006, 05:58 AM
screw the shrimp lets talk about old texans avator :p yum i take some of that with some butter :rollside:
where do you think we get the shrimp infused smell from?

truksnboats
08-25-2006, 07:33 AM
marinate shrimp in coconut milk, lime juice and garlic for 30 min. 2 min each side on med-low heat on bbq and you are good to go.

Old Texan
08-25-2006, 07:39 AM
where do you think we get the shrimp infused smell from?
That would be a new "Tony Snatchere'" seasoning line. :p
http://www.tonychachere.com/

Devilman
08-25-2006, 07:52 AM
LOL, nice.....
Also, on that bacon wrap deal, I've recently heard you can pre-cook the bacon a little, seperately before you wrap the shrimp & throw 'em on the grill. Eliminates alot of the bacon grease dripping on the coals & such... Haven't tried that myself. Definitely got me thinking about another pit though, with a firebox.... :cool:

lucky
08-25-2006, 08:15 AM
so this weekend - I'm cooking for my friends ( house warming for my extended family :) Grilled Tuna steaks(from my fishing trip in san diego ) , with olive oil and a touch of balsamic viniger , lemon up the- yeng yang and a dash of salt on. and then top it with some parsley - and lemon zest and a touch of lime . a greek salad ( don't get excited roland ) which will include articokes quartered - flame rosted red and orange bell peppers - olives served over shreaded lettuce with a vinigerette dressing , bread( fresh bread -cibatta ) dippers ( with a varity of dipping options ) last but not least a Potato salad - made with olive oil ( mayo would kill it ) and some frest oregeno - touch of lemon ( its the theme ) and some special spices -- most importantly -- wine - shit load of wine -- did i mention every one thinks your a great chief when they are drunker than hell - lmao -

a catered life
08-25-2006, 08:40 AM
lmao

NoCal NoBoat
08-25-2006, 08:57 AM
These went over big at our last Super Bowl party
Tequila shrimp a la Cabo Wabo
Peel and de-vein your shrimp (16-20 count)
Have ready 6 minced garlic cloves, 1 bunch chopped cilantro, salt and pepper,
2 oz tequila (Sammy recommends Cabo Wabo, but you make the call...), 1 diced jalapeno, and 4 limes.
Salt and pepper the shrimp. Add all of the shrimp to a medium hot frying pan,
keep the pan moving and the shrimp will be cooked enough in 2 - 3 minutes.
Remove shrimp from the pan and add a little oil and 1/2 cup of butter, the chopped garlic, the cilantro, and the diced jalapeno. Cook about 3 minutes, until the garlic is just cooked through. Add back the shrimp and squeeze the limes into the pan, then add the 2 oz of tequila.
THIS WILL FLAME UP SO BE CAREFUL !!
Let the flame die down, and whisk in a piece of butter to finish the sauce.
Enjoy !!!

a catered life
08-28-2006, 04:33 PM
how did the dinner go and what did you finally end up cooking

Her454
08-28-2006, 05:51 PM
how did the dinner go and what did you finally end up cooking
MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm ended up using your recipe and one that CharityCase gave me........... split it up and they were both awsome!
Thanks for the recipes, I appreciate all of them! :) :)