PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a bad ignition coil??

Gilligan
08-23-2006, 02:15 PM
What were your simptoms. I seem to loose power on one engine after the engines warm up. The power fluctuates too. So far... New Fuel filters on 06. Engines tuned up in 05. I have new plug wires on the way since the current ones are the originals from 1993. :rollside: If it was a fuel problem I would think in would not come and go.

Desert Rat
08-23-2006, 02:41 PM
That is about what the symptoms sound like. A Catered Life had that exact thing happen this year. Motor sounds like a hammered turd!!!

DMOORE
08-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Had it happen in a car. And yes it's pretty much like you described. Worked ok when cool, but once warm-NO GO.
Darrell.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Yea, 3 years ago.
Boat ran great when cool, even after motor warmed up, as long as it was driven easy. Wind her out hard and in anything from 15 secconds to 2 minuites, the coil got hot and would break down. Horrible missfire, but as soon as the revs came down to like 3500, it'd clean up and be fine, till stomped hard again. It got worse, RPM got lower, good work time got shorter, as it colapsed worse & worse.

Gilligan
08-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks!! Sounds like I will replace the ignition coil. :)

Rexone
08-23-2006, 05:42 PM
One thing to be aware of with the round oil filled coils (typical from auto parts store) is that they require vertical or close to vertical mounting. I made this mistake myself on a truck and mounted an MSD standard coil horizontal. It smoked the coil, you could actually see discoloration on the exterior of the coil from the heat. It did run quite awhile though before this failure (like a couple years).
The only MSD coil that can be mounted other than vertical is the high vibration coil, I think its an 8222 which is pretty much all we use now anyway in boat applications. You can mount them any direction you want.
Just some general info that may or may not apply to your problem...

JetBoatRich
08-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Lost one in my old JetBoat. It was only a couple months old, tried everything but that :mad: had your same symptoms. Took it into the shop, they called me before I could get back to the office :rolleyes:

Gilligan
08-23-2006, 05:53 PM
The good engine runs around 4,600 RPM.. The weak engine runs at 4,200 rpm at its best. Then it will fall to 3800 rpm or even as low as 3600 rpm when the problem starts.

JetBoatRich
08-23-2006, 05:55 PM
mine would cut out :yuk: never get up into anygood RPM range :mad:

smilinpirate
08-23-2006, 09:49 PM
I have the same prob and just replaced my ignition coil and still have prob

SmokinLowriderSS
08-24-2006, 02:52 AM
I also recently had a bad missfire on my pickup truck. Finally turned out to be 2 plugs had cracked down the side of the insulation to below the boots and were arcing out there.

Desert Rat
08-24-2006, 05:32 AM
I had a problem a few years ago where the boot on one of the plugs had a small tear in it, I mean like 1/8" and when the motor came up to high RPM the spark would jump out of the boot to the head and effectively kill that plug. Found it when I was troubling shooting it and noticed that when I reved it up I would hear that electrical snap. You could see it in the dark. If you can get the motor on a scope you should be able to see if any cylinders are dropping off.

a catered life
08-24-2006, 08:48 AM
That is about what the symptoms sound like. A Catered Life had that exact thing happen this year. Motor sounds like a hammered turd!!!
yes my hammered turd (wtf is a hammered turd :rolleyes: ) lose power, couldn't plane boat for more that 45 seconds, and finally it just quit and wouldnt start :cry:

LAFD
08-24-2006, 09:00 AM
im having this problem right now with my 460. will run bitchen for about 30 seconds than fall on its face and run like crap. goes back and forth. gunna replace the points in the distributor and the condensor and hopfully that works.

Gilligan
08-24-2006, 12:58 PM
im having this problem right now with my 460. will run bitchen for about 30 seconds than fall on its face and run like crap. goes back and forth. gunna replace the points in the distributor and the condensor and hopfully that works.
Points suck. I would replace replace the distributor or have it chaged over to electronic.

Desert Rat
08-24-2006, 01:19 PM
yes my hammered turd (wtf is a hammered turd :rolleyes: ) lose power, couldn't plane boat for more that 45 seconds, and finally it just quit and wouldnt start :cry:
Easy there big guy.... Just said it sounded like one while the coil was crapping out, :220v: Not that it was one!! Oh and a hammered turd makes a somewhat dull thump :rollside:

ECeptor
08-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Wind her out hard and in anything from 15 secconds to 2 minuites, the coil got hot and would break down. Horrible missfire, but as soon as the revs came down to like 3500, it'd clean up and be fine, till stomped hard again.
I had the same symptoms last year. Changed the coil ($30) and it ran like a champ!

MKEELINE
08-24-2006, 02:20 PM
I had an MSD coil go out and it was like someone turned off the switch.

JetBoatRich
08-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Yours failed had failed by having a crack down the side :yuk:

squirt'nmyload
08-24-2006, 03:05 PM
i had this happen in my 460 and the needle valve in my secondaries was stuck open

LAFD
08-24-2006, 03:11 PM
i had this happen in my 460 and the needle valve in my secondaries was stuck open
i will check this after i upgrade the ignition junk and if it still does it.

squirt'nmyload
08-24-2006, 03:27 PM
not meaning to jack the thread but......is it on a boat??? mine is...i took off my scoop and when i started it, after it would idle perfect for a bit i could see the gas start to pour in the secondaries...i took the bowl off, pulled the needle valve out and there was a metal shaving that was holding the valve open...give it a shot...could be a cheap fix!!!!!!

Pee Dub
08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I had an MSD coil go out and it was like someone turned off the switch.
Same here. Blaster coil had about 20 hours on it. First coil I ever saw that went out with absolutely no warning.

a catered life
08-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Easy there big guy.... Just said it sounded like one while the coil was crapping out, :220v: Not that it was one!! Oh and a hammered turd makes a somewhat dull thump :rollside:
just pucking with you .......now that i think about it it did sound like a fresh hot steaming turd :p

Gilligan
08-25-2006, 03:19 AM
I am with you. After I do the cheap and easy stuff (filters and ignition) I will have the carb rebuilt or buy new ones. I am also curious if the fuel pump is weak. That would probably be the last thing to check.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-25-2006, 04:01 PM
I am with you. After I do the cheap and easy stuff (filters and ignition) I will have the carb rebuilt or buy new ones. I am also curious if the fuel pump is weak. That would probably be the last thing to check.
Cheap and easy: A fuel pressure gauge is a lot cheaper and easier than a carb rebuild kit, especially with labor added, let alone $300 carb.