PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive vs. Jet

wolfie
08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm looking at buying a boat and was wanting some input on V-drives vs. Jets.
I've been away from boating for a while and want to buy another one. This time a fun and fast cruiser.
Can you guys give me some pros and cons of V-Drives and jets. I'm looking at a couple of Campbells (v-drives) and Spectras (jets). What are your thoughts.

Hustler
08-23-2006, 04:09 PM
where do you plan on using it?

dmontzsta
08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
There is definately pros and cons to both. Like Hustler said what are your plans.

wolfie
08-23-2006, 04:17 PM
There is definately pros and cons to both. Like Hustler said what are your plans.
There are some close lakes here in Utah and of course lake Powell and Havasu.
The closest one is Utah Lake which is a shallow lake averaging 7-12 ft deep.
Jordanelle, Strawberry, and Deer Creek are also close by. Utah and Strawberry can have the wind kick up in the afternoon.

BA Kurtis
08-23-2006, 04:27 PM
If your running lakes go with the v-drive, both Campbell and Spectra built good boats (old school) but good boats, I love the old Campbell's thats a true classic v-drive. Good luck.

VD CRUISER
08-23-2006, 04:31 PM
You said you wanted a "fast" cruiser. How big of a boat do you want and what do you consider fast?

dmontzsta
08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree, go with the V-Drive for your Lake Cruiser needs. With the bigger boats the prop is more efficient, plus you will be in some deep water, so you dont have to worry about shallow river water.

wolfie
08-23-2006, 04:41 PM
You said you wanted a "fast" cruiser. How big of a boat do you want and what do you consider fast?
looking at 20' - 22'. I guess fast isn't the term. Faster than a Sea Ray.
55-65 would be good for a cruiser. Of course 70-80 would be great but I know that it isn't reasonable. I didn't want the 40-45 mph cuddy look. I'm old school. As a kid growing up, we would go to Havasu in my dads 17' Glasspar
and I always envied the guys in the daycruisers. My favorite was always the Campbell. I loved the sound and the look. But I also want something that my wife and son would enjoy. The kid wants to ski and tube and the wife enjoys cruising. She may want to ski as well.

VD CRUISER
08-23-2006, 05:50 PM
OK, the Spectra 20"/Howard 21" would give you a smoother ride than the Campbell. And 70-80 mph shouldn't be that hard to attain. I'm refering to a V-drive of course. When my Howard was new it would go 80 mph with about 550 hp. With the right setup ,(shaft angle/strut location, 2 blade prop) and a blown 540, 100 mph is possible.

wolfie
08-23-2006, 05:54 PM
OK, the Spectra 20"/Howard 21" would give you a smoother ride than the Campbell. And 70-80 mph shouldn't be that hard to attain. When my Howard was new it would go 80 mph with about 550 hp. With the right setup ,(shaft angle/strut location, 2 blade prop) and a blown 540, 100 mph is possible.
is the Campbell that harsh a ride?

VD CRUISER
08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Some of the Campbell owners will have to comment on that, I just know the bottom on the Campbell's are just about flat, about 5 deg. I believe, compared to 12 deg. on the Spectra/Howard.

wolfie
08-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Some of the Campbell owners will have to comment on that, I just know the bottom on the Campbell's are just about flat, about 5 deg. I believe, compared to 12 deg. on the Spectra/Howard.
10-4, appreciate the advice. I do like the Lines of the Spectra/Howards. I had a line on a couple of Campbells but if that's the case I'll hold out.

ss396
08-23-2006, 07:36 PM
:idea: i have had a jet and it was great running on the rivers in north idaho. i just bought a v-drive and in about a couple of weeks i will have it on the water. looking forward to going to the lake and using half of the gas i did with a jet. you will burn 30 to 40 per cent more fuel with a jet. i feel they have there place. if you want that kind of speed v-drive is the way to go cause it takes more horse power and to get that kind of speed plus some modification to the pump. with a jet you have a choice of either a lot of top speed only or all around with basic pump with mild modifications or stock setup. so if you want the best of both worlds go a v-drive. some of the jet guys will :argue: argue. what ever choice you go enjoy and have fun.

79 Howard
08-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Did Campbell make a 13 degree in there 21 ft.boats? I have a buddy who has a Howard by name but a 5 degree hull and I am just wondering if the guy before him tagged the side with Howard emblems. I guess it doesn't matter ,I would hate to bust his bubble anyway

wolfie
08-23-2006, 07:59 PM
:idea: i have had a jet and it was great running on the rivers in north idaho. i just bought a v-drive and in about a couple of weeks i will have it on the water. looking forward to going to the lake and using half of the gas i did with a jet. you will burn 30 to 40 per cent more fuel with a jet. i feel they have there place. if you want that kind of speed v-drive is the way to go cause it takes more horse power and to get that kind of speed plus some modification to the pump. with a jet you have a choice of either a lot of top speed only or all around with basic pump with mild modifications or stock setup. so if you want the best of both worlds go a v-drive. some of the jet guys will :argue: argue. what ever choice you go enjoy and have fun.
I really appreciate the input. I like the idea of the v-drive. I wasn't sure about the economies of it. I guess that answered it for me.

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
08-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Since you are on the market, you might want to look at my 21 daytona in the spam section, check it out!
Lee

wolfie
08-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Since you are on the market, you might want to look at my 21 daytona in the spam section, check it out!
Lee
I've seen it (actually drooled over it would be more appropriate). Only three problems. I need something that'll seat more (looking for something that'll seat 5-6 people comfortably), it's a little more than my budget allows (the biggest factor), and my insurance company (who also happens to be my wife) won't insure anything thats a flatbottom, hydro, or tunnel hull. I could use another insurance company for the boat but the other two are the more limiting factors.
Whoever does end up buying your boat will be getting an awsome one.

flat broke
08-24-2006, 06:22 AM
Check out this 77 Howard River Cruiser listed in the spam section. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125121&highlight=howard)
For lakes I'd definitely go V'drive over Jet. That's coming from someone who has and continues to dump lots of time into a Spectra 20 with a jet.
Chris

olbiezer
08-24-2006, 06:33 AM
kinda hard to get any other answer to whats better jet or v drive when u ask in a v drive forum ....... :argue: :) :rollside:

wolfie
08-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Check out this 77 Howard River Cruiser listed in the spam section. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125121&highlight=howard)
For lakes I'd definitely go V'drive over Jet. That's coming from someone who has and continues to dump lots of time into a Spectra 20 with a jet.
Chris
I've seen this one. It's very nice and definitly on the list to see. I've got to get out there to look at it.

napabob
08-24-2006, 08:52 AM
For Spectras try:
http://www.spectramarine.com/
Look under the 'CLASSIFIEDS' link.
Good luck,

wolfie
08-24-2006, 08:53 AM
kinda hard to get any other answer to whats better jet or v drive when u ask in a v drive forum ....... :argue: :) :rollside:
I actually got a lot of helpful info. When you ask a v-drive forum you get all the things bad about the jets. Then you ask the jet forum and you get all the bad about v-drives. After that you sift through all the B.S. and come to a good conclusion.
I've also two cousins (Four Q and Nucking Futs, both jet people) that well be looking out for me as well.

VD CRUISER
08-24-2006, 09:10 AM
79 Howard, I don't know about the 13 deg. Campbell,but Howard did make a 5 deg. bottom, it was his GN style hull, 20' long. A few were made with the cruiser style deck. A friend of mine here in Va. has one and its a pretty bad hot rod with a blown 572 . There are some pictures in my gallery .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1410100_1796.JPG

spectras only
08-24-2006, 09:50 AM
My 76 Spectra jet had identical bottom [ 12 degree deadrise] to the 20 Howard . While my best speed was 63 with the jet , my buddy's Howard V-drive did 70-72 with similar power. Both boats would be more comfortable in the chop compared to a Campbell .V-drive is less thirsty at low and mid range compared to a jet.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/penticton19811%20copy.jpg
This is the Howard V-drive>
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/leonards66vette.1.jpg
This is the Spectra jet>
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/rivertrip.jpg

RUSHIN ROULETTE
08-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Something else to think about when it comes to choice of power is what elevation will you be running at in Utah?

mouzer
08-24-2006, 03:33 PM
out of all the boats i would go v-drive and the best deal out there is Rushin Roulettes boat! looks brand new, looks like its wourth $40,000 + dollars! he will make ya a killer deal on it!

MAXIMUS
08-24-2006, 03:42 PM
If you want an old school type of campbell with the cuddy cabin type of deal, then stay the hell away from a jet! A nice v-drive with a transmission would be a sweet set up! Those boats are heavy & wet. 2 things a jet is not user freindly with period. A buddy of mine had a 23' sleekcraft with the cuddy cabin etc... like maybe a late 70's. 460 ford with a jet. Topped out at about 50 mph & 5000 rpm. sucked gas & would hardly pull a skier with full fuel tanks & multi passengers... not fun... :notam:

79 Howard
08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks V.D Crusier, that is my buddy's boat color and all except the H.P. :p :)

wolfie
08-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Something else to think about when it comes to choice of power is what elevation will you be running at in Utah?
We're going to be running mostly between 4500 & 6500 ft. Occasionally Powell and Havasu.

Unchained
08-26-2006, 05:07 AM
I've got one of each so I've got a real valid opinion now.
The jets work best in a tunnel hull and not over 19' hull length.
The cruising rpm and the fuel consumption will always be higher with a jet.
The accelleration is real impressive with big hp. It's a pretty good ski boat but theres a lot of surface water disturbance. Manuvering around the docks is excellent.
My v drive is in a 21' tunnel hull so the handling and ride are excellent.
The boat rides real free and cruises effortlessly at a low rpm with 32% gears and an 11" prop.
I don't know how the ride and handling would be with a v bottom. I can't imagine it could be as good.
The gearbox and driveshafts take up a significant amount of room in the boat, make noise and there's some vibration too. Even if you have a trans there will be no steering in reverse. My boat is an excellent ski boat and gives a huge amount of pull with not much throttle. Hardly any wake at all.
Considering all the factors I've put many times more hours on the 21' tunnel v drive this summer.
The jet is way more of a hot rod but can't take rough water as well.
In rough water the jet wants to get the front slapping where the V drive rides more level.
The fuel consumption of the v drive is the least I've seen in years since I always had jets before.

P-Money
08-26-2006, 05:32 AM
I've got one of each as well (20.5' Cole jet and a 19' v-drive). I wish the Cole was a v-drive.

FOURQ
08-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I've also two cousins (Four Q and Nucking Futs, both jet people) that well be looking out for me as well.
HEY NOW DAVE.... dont throw us under the boat like that ... we are BOAT pepole i wrenced on a K boat and have owned 2 vdrives as well so easy with the JET PEPOLE term... :220v:

wolfie
08-26-2006, 03:31 PM
HEY NOW DAVE.... dont throw us under the boat like that ... we are BOAT pepole i wrenced on a K boat and have owned 2 vdrives as well so easy with the JET PEPOLE term... :220v:
No offence meant. Just that I know that I could get good info especially about jets. Also if you noticed, I did say that you guys were looking out for me so don't be so sensative now......
So since you're in this, give me your opinion....

wolfie
08-26-2006, 03:40 PM
And by the way...how come you're home on your computer...shouldn't you be on the lake or something?????

dmontzsta
08-26-2006, 04:07 PM
And by the way...how come you're home on your computer...shouldn't you be on the lake or something?????
He is on lock down now! :D

wolfie
08-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Uh, ohhh.

FOURQ
08-26-2006, 04:16 PM
had to wait for the granite to get installed this morning .. just got back off the lake....
you want my opinion i say jet cause of the depth of the water you will run in. but hey its your choice and your wallet when you need to replace a messed up prop. a jet you can run in shallow water it draws from 3 feet or less not that i would want to have my pump in less than 3 feet of water it can be done safely.

FOURQ
08-26-2006, 04:17 PM
your ass Don... get that boat of yours done so i can show you how to drive it

wolfie
08-26-2006, 04:19 PM
had to wait for the granite to get installed this morning .. just got back off the lake....
you want my opinion i say jet cause of the depth of the water you will run in. but hey its your choice and your wallet when you need to replace a messed up prop. a jet you can run in shallow water it draws from 3 feet or less not that i would want to have my pump in less than 3 feet of water it can be done safely.
That's why Jill won't let me buy a boat until you put your two cents in.
After 22 years being married, she still don't trust me.

dmontzsta
08-26-2006, 04:22 PM
your ass Don... get that boat of yours done so i can show you how to drive it
Its getting there, but I dont know if I want you to show me how to drive it! ;) "Drive it like you stole it" is how you roll.
Plus, I think once I sit in the seat, it will all come back to me, been driving flatties since 16. :)
Hows business?

FOURQ
08-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Its getting there, but I dont know if I want you to show me how to drive it! ;) "Drive it like you stole it" is how you roll.
Plus, I think once I sit in the seat, it will all come back to me, been driving flatties since 16. :)
Hows business?
ya ya bla bla bla.... i will belive it when its done and i see it on the water..... its going good its pickin up a little i think i billed a little over 10k this month ..ohh and Don i just got off the water and was on it all last weekend so how is that lockdown???? she wants to get the new boat too but we know were the prioritys are.. i have the funds in the bank now but holding on to it for a bit to see if any rainy days come .. im sure you know were im coming from

dmontzsta
08-26-2006, 10:21 PM
ya ya bla bla bla.... i will belive it when its done and i see it on the water..... its going good its pickin up a little i think i billed a little over 10k this month ..ohh and Don i just got off the water and was on it all last weekend so how is that lockdown???? she wants to get the new boat too but we know were the prioritys are.. i have the funds in the bank now but holding on to it for a bit to see if any rainy days come .. im sure you know were im coming from
Glad to hear things are going well for you. Just keep in touch with mouzer, I am sure he will have something for you eventually...
:)

72Hallett
08-27-2006, 03:41 PM
79 Howard, I don't know about the 13 deg. Campbell,but Howard did make a 5 deg. bottom, it was his GN style hull, 20' long. A few were made with the cruiser style deck. A friend of mine here in Va. has one and its a pretty bad hot rod with a blown 572 . There are some pictures in my gallery .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1410100_1796.JPG
VD Cruiser,
Did your friend buy that boat in the last 5 years? If so, I believe my friend to be the previous owner. It is a bad azz boat and if it was my buddy's boat, he took great care of it. He sold it (or one like it) and boat bought a Schiada River Cruiser.

72Hallett
08-27-2006, 04:03 PM
I just recently bought a '79 Howard and will likely be selling my 21' v-drive Hallett less motor. It has some issues with the stringers. I'm trying to decide if I should fix it or sell it as is. I believe the bottom is similar to the Cambells. With 550hp it did about 65. I'll let you know if I decide to sell it.

VD CRUISER
08-27-2006, 04:25 PM
72Hallett,
My friend bought his new in 1983 from Howard Brown. I bought my Howard 21' later the same year.

72Hallett
08-27-2006, 04:36 PM
72Hallett,
My friend bought his new in 1983 from Howard Brown. I bought my Howard 21' later the same year.
Same colors and it was blown. I think his was a bit older than an '83. Loved that boat.

79 Howard
08-27-2006, 05:19 PM
HEY V.D. My friend did buy it about 3 or 4 years ago, He said the seller dropped a 468 with a tunnel ram in it for the sell butt I don't remember his numbers being on the side of gunnel ,could have been though if they were stick ons.. I believe he bought it in orange county