PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Suggestions / Bearing Photos

PC Rat
08-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Here is a photo of three main bearing halves. You can see the silver particles in the bearings that came from the destroyed rocker arm.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3256main_bearing_post.JPG
The particles did create enough grooves in the crank that it needs to be polished.
I would say that the average size of the particles are about 0.010" and since these particles are in somewhat of a two dimensional form, I assume that they were more three dimensional and would measure smaller before they became imbedded in the bearing.
According to the Wix filter site, the oil filters trap essentially all particles 25 microns and larger. Since 25 microns is 0.001", I question whether these particles grew 10 times as they were flattened or did the filter pass particles more than 25 microns? The oil filter bypass is plugged, I'm using a remote oil cooler and a remote oil filter (Ford filter). Anyone used the Trufilter http://www.trufilter.com/why.htm or something similiar. Is there anything that would have filtered out these particles and prevented the crankshaft damage?
Brian

Rexone
08-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Did the filter you used have a bypass in the filter?

GofastRacer
08-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Also oil goes thru the pump before the filter, better take the pump apart and check it!.. Also you mentioned a Ford filter, those have a bypass since ford don't have a filter adaptor with a bypass like a Chevy!..

PC Rat
08-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Also oil goes thru the pump before the filter, better take the pump apart and check it!.. Also you mentioned a Ford filter, those have a bypass since ford don't have a filter adaptor with a bypass like a Chevy!..
The entire engine is apart to clean it out, and the oil pump will get checked/cleaned. Wix site says the bypass valve setting is 8-11psi (which I believe is differential pressure). How likely is it that the bypass would be open? Oil temp was probably around 120 deg F.
I was going to remove the oil plug on the rear and front of the engine and stick the pressure washer nozzle in to clean it out, will this work?
Brian

GofastRacer
08-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Cleanliness is godliness, wash it all out completely it needs to be surgically clean!.. Depending on what weight oil you're running and rpm it could have been open, 120 deg is cold for oil!..

PC Rat
08-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Oil was 20w-50, rpm was about 3000.
What do the Ford guys do if they don't want the bypass?
Brian

Rexone
08-24-2006, 05:04 PM
The problem with no bypass anywhere is if the filter plugs up (lets say you get water in the oil for some reason, filters don't pass water real good) you will then starve the engine for oil completely, with much worse results than some crap on the bearings. Just something to think about. Bottom line is if something comes apart to the point you have debris in the bearings the engine should really come down and be cleaned thoroughly and repaired anyway. Just because you have the filter catching all the circulating (pumped) oil doesn't mean everything is gonna be ok. Consider the crap going through the oil pump before it gets to the filter and also the contaminated oil being thrown up into the rotating parts, cam etc, just from windage.
The problem you pictured above, while a problem that needs attention, didn't destroy the entire engine from lack of lubrication.

Rexone
08-24-2006, 05:14 PM
I was going to remove the oil plug on the rear and front of the engine and stick the pressure washer nozzle in to clean it out, will this work?
Brian
You really need to get a set of engine oil galley brushes in addition to the washing IMO. Like GFR said, Cleanliness is Godliness when it comes to engines and particles love to hide in oil galley passages and hard to clean places. When I used to build motors it was not uncommon to spend 1-2 hours washing and brushing the block and heads prior to assembly, particularly if something had come apart or machine work had been done (which is normally the case).

GofastRacer
08-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I think I forgot to mention this, the cam bearings are about the worst place for crud to hide since the bearing hole is a lot smaller than the hole in the block. But when the oil flows the crud will flow along with it, not good!..

bubbletop409
08-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Remote oil filter bases are now available that take a Chevy filter rather than the Ford type. Depending on the room you have available you may want to look into replacing your current base with a dual filter base for Chevy filters. Wix makes a two quart truck version filter sold through Napa as part # 1794 GOLD, two of those on a dual base would provide a lot of filtering area, and good flow, while providing peace of mind in a system with no bypass. Be sure to also clean your cooler throughly, or replace it if you are unsure of its status. With no bypass in the system, it is also a good idea to build a little heat in the oil before high rpm operation, good luck on your rebuild. Take the time to clean everything well, it can never be too clean.

PC Rat
08-26-2006, 08:21 AM
What does the inside of an oil cooler consist of? Just wondering what I'm dealing with in trying to clean it out.
Brian

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-01-2006, 12:29 PM
i've seen oil coolers trap all kinds of bad stuff. replace it or flush/back flush it a bunch of times!!bill.