PDA

View Full Version : new boat, water in oil

sstjet
08-23-2006, 05:51 PM
I recently bought a 78 sleekcraft sst jet. It has a 427 chevy with a b&m megablower. I only brought it out a couple times and the most recent time I noticed some water in the oil. This same outing I noticed the water valve for the headers was stuck open at Idle. I believe it is possible for the water to be sucked back into the motor, but enough to really polute the oil. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

BOOGEYMAN
08-23-2006, 06:15 PM
If your water is on full at idle then that very weill could be it or it could also be a simple as a leaky intake gasket. Any pics of the new ride??

sstjet
08-23-2006, 06:34 PM
I hope you are right I am going to change the oil and shut the water off to the headers and see what happens. As for picture I tried to post them but the file it too big. I believe it is the same exact boat as the one on your profile color and all.

MikeF
08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
He is also saying.....snug up the intake manifold bolts a little. :)
That is a leaking type of area that can go right into the block/oil.

BOOGEYMAN
08-23-2006, 07:45 PM
I hope it all works out for ya!!! I run a 502 with a berk and am going blown this winter so I would love to see your boat!!! You can e-mail them to me a www.kustomfabb@hotmail.com
Travis.

sstjet
09-03-2006, 05:38 PM
took the boat out today with the water shut off to the headers, but still ended up with water in my oil. I am tearing her down this weekend to see if it pushed out a head gasket. Hopefully It did, I dont really want to have to put new heads on it or find a new block. Any more thoughts or suggestions on this? Thanks.

centerhill condor
09-03-2006, 05:53 PM
do you have a cooling water pressure regulator? does your engine run hot enough to "boil off" any residual water? This is a fairly common complaint that doesn't usually warrant an engine tearedown...how 'bout a compression test? and maybe a low pressure leak down test of the cooling system before we break out the new gaskets? You've got a very nice rig there...and I'm onboard with the safe over sorry protocol..but a little detective work may save you a lot of mechanical work!
anyhow best of luck! keep us posted.

sstjet
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't have any pressure regulator on the cooling system. Since I bought this boat with what was supposed to be like 450 hrs on the motor I figured I should just tear it down anyway. It is down to the short block now, and still now sign of where the water could be coming from. Intake gaskets looked sealed properly. Head gaskets where fine. Block is actually O-ringed. What next? Any more suggestions?

jeffroe
09-06-2006, 02:20 PM
is it this bad? not sure but i might have a small water leak :mad:

sstjet
09-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Not quite that bad Jeffroe, but none the less the oil is that same color. However I am at a loss for how the water is getting in there. Any more help or suggestions please!!!

Duane HTP
09-06-2006, 04:55 PM
On a BBC, it's not the head gaskets! LOOK AT THE INTAKE GASKET!!!
If you do replace the intake gasket, put silicone on both sides of the gasket around the water holes in the end, and be sure to retorque the intake bolts several times after the motor has been run and cooled off. Also, look at your PM's.

jeffroe
09-06-2006, 05:06 PM
duane HTP i bought my boat used with a jet-a-way already in it, and i can't say enough good things about it :cool: thanks for all the hard work you must have put in to this product!!!!!!

Duane HTP
09-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Thank You.

olbiezer
09-07-2006, 03:59 AM
i had water in my oil a few years ago.as it turned out the heads had cracked..but it was so small u had to be looking for it to see where the little spider water tracks had cracked..... :) :rollside:

sstjet
09-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I am hoping to pull the whole motor and have it checked out. However $ is tight (big suprise) I am going to have an experieced car guy/ engine builder take a look before I get too crazy.