PDA

View Full Version : So who has the Right Of Way?

Her454
08-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Here's the situation. Anyone familiar with Lake Pardee Dam, built in the 1920's? It has two bridges the span the top of it. Both are very narrow bridges since it was originally built in the time of the Model A etc. Only a few years ago did we get a traffic light across one of the bridges since it was getting too narrow to manuever two cars through safely. Its now a green light only pass. The other bridge is still two lane but still very narrow. You can see over this bridge to the other side so you obviously know if someone is ON or getting ready to cross it. I've been driving both of these bridges for 20 years now and the general rule is that if you see someone already on the bridge and they are bigger than you, then you let them pass as a courtesy and dont try and squeeze through. If its a smaller car and there is room then its a safe pass. TONIGHT tho, Im crossing the bridge and I am more than half way across. (DID I mention that ANY bridge scares the bejeeeeezus out of me no matter how much I cross it?) A guy in a big Dodge truck pulling an RV starts out across it. Now, even in my Nissan Maxima I know there is a snowballs chance in hell that we both can squeeze through that bridge. He keeps coming and of course I have to stop. We are at a standstill. I wouldnt want to back that biatch of a trailer up and off the bridge to let someone through, but then again I would have waited................. SO, I have to back up almost the entire fuc'ng bridge to let him proceed through. Guy was about 70 or so and I was pretty pissed but all I could think of was my grandpa as he smiled and waved to me as he passed :mad: WHO HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY IN THIS SITUATION? Doesn't happen very often but it sucks when it does and courtesy gets the best of me but I'd like to know the actual law?

Jordy
08-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I believe the "Bigger Than Rule" takes effect in this case.
That rule clearly states that right of way is determined in one of 3 ways:
1.) Bigger than.
2.) Faster than.
3.) More expensive than.
However, a recent amendment was recently added that states that if a woman is behind the wheel of one vehicle and a man is behind the wheel of the other, the man definately has the right of way because he'll be down the road before she's done fixing her lipstick and entering the area with right of way in question. :D :D :D
Any questions? :D

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I am not sure T but it sounds like if you were on the bridge first and almost halfway there before the other guy came on you should have the right of way.
Something else that scares ya, huh? :)

Jordy
08-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Something else that scares ya, huh? :)
She is kind of a big fraidy cat huh??? Guess I shouldn't tell her that the snakes they found in the movie theater watching the snakes on a plane were only a few miles from my house as that might guarantee that she always flakes. :D :D :D

DILLIGAF
08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
She is kind of a big fraidy cat huh??? Guess I shouldn't tell her that the snakes they found in the movie theater watching the snakes on a plane were only a few miles from my house as that might guarantee that she always flakes. :D :D :D
I probably would not mention that to her Jordy...SSSSSHHHHHH!

Cheap Thrills
08-23-2006, 06:33 PM
On a single lane/narrow bridge it's common courtesy to yield to the vehicle already on the bridge.
most people here treat them like a 4 way stop although we don't have the traffic problems you west enders do.
Another view on it is look at what you said. 70 year old man in a big Dodge pulling the travel trailer from hell. He probably was on vacation and not familiar with the area and was paying more attention to his wife Gertrude bitch about the AC being too F'in cold than the bridge he was about to cross. I'm sure he was quite grateful for you backing out instead of going all road rage on his ass.
C.T. :wink:

Jordy
08-23-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm sure he was quite grateful for you backing out instead of going all road rage on his ass.
Who said she didn't do both at the same time??? I'm sure that gentleman will NEVER make the same mistake again!!! :D :D :D

HocusPocus
08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
even though i think you had the right away in this situation, you did the right thing in not making a big stink about it. i have seen too many people fly into a rage over the smallest of things. you gotta pick your battles. :)

Cheap Thrills
08-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Who said she didn't do both at the same time??? I'm sure that gentleman will NEVER make the same mistake again!!! :D :D :D
If he saw her lips moving he probably thought she was on one of those new fangled hands free cellular tele phones. and how unfortunate it was for her to be in an accedent that left her with only one finger on that hand to wave with :D
But I bet he was too pre occupied with the AC controlls to notice.
C.T. :wink:

Her454
08-24-2006, 06:25 AM
LOL you guys are too much. NO Jordy, once I saw Gramps I didnt go "all Road Rage" & shiat. However if had been someone younger he'd a been backin that trailer up LOL.
Yes that spillway is near Comanche, runs in the lake actually and you can see Comanche from the top of it.

Wet Dream
08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
You had the original right of way as you were on the bridge. In any other circumstance, he would have the right of way since he was towing an object and not required to back up.

Wet Dream
08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
There is a ROW law about uphill/downhill too. I'll have to look that up.

Wet Dream
08-24-2006, 08:05 AM
When two vehicles meet on a steep road where neither can pass, the vehicle facing downhill must yield the right of way by backing up until the vehicle going uphill can pass. The vehicle facing downhill has the greater amount of control when backing.

Jordy
08-24-2006, 08:13 AM
NO Jordy, once I saw Gramps I didnt go "all Road Rage" & shiat.
From the Official Her454 Translator:
I was waving the gun, flipping him off, and screaming at the top of my lungs until I realized he was old and probably couldn't see or hear me anyway and would probably run me over due to lack of vision. :D :D :D

Her454
08-24-2006, 08:42 AM
From the Official Her454 Translator:
I was waving the gun, flipping him off, and screaming at the top of my lungs until I realized he was old and probably couldn't see or hear me anyway and would probably run me over due to lack of vision. :D :D :D
LOL, no but I was cussing him until I could see he was old. Actually felt guilty about it too. Its not like he was some fat biatch trying to hold a parking spot at Christmas time that deserved getting her ass kicked.

Jordy
08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
I see those anger managment classes have really paid off big dividends!!! :D :D :D

Her454
08-24-2006, 08:58 AM
I see those anger managment classes have really paid off big dividends!!! :D :D :D
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Damn Jordy, thats the last time I tell you a secret. :mad: :rollside:

Jordy
08-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Damn Jordy, thats the last time I tell you a secret. :mad: :rollside:
Like anyone takes me seriously around this place and I know lots, and I mean LOTS of your secrets. :D :D :D
Besides, I told you long ago, don't tell me any secrets, I drink. :D :D :D

YeLLowBoaT
08-24-2006, 11:22 AM
See i would have put it in park and turned if off til that fooker backed that thing up. You ALWAYS yeild to some 1 already crossing.

Ziggy
08-24-2006, 11:49 AM
While driving the road to Hana on Maui I would race the opposing traffic to the one lane bridges :D :D :D haha, me first :p
You obviously had the right of way but it seems you answered your question well before you posted it..he was old and unfamiliar most likely. You did the right thing for my mom and dad ;)

roostwear
08-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Since Gramps wasn't going anywhere, I would have taken the opportunity to help out my fellow man with a little driving etiquette lesson. Shut off the engine, and saunter on over to his truck and mention that perhaps his eyeglass prescription needs updating. If that's not the case, then I'd be happy to guide him BACK off the bridge.
Give, give, give.... never take.

DILLIGAF
08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
While driving the road to Hana on Maui I would race the opposing traffic to the one lane bridges :D :D :D haha, me first :p
You obviously had the right of way but it seems you answered your question well before you posted it..he was old and unfamiliar most likely. You did the right thing for my mom and dad ;)
I did that ride on a Harley. Got a little hairy at times with those tourist buses flying around

ratso
08-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Here's the situation. Anyone familiar with Lake Pardee Dam, built in the 1920's? It has two bridges the span the top of it. Both are very narrow bridges since it was originally built in the time of the Model A etc. Only a few years ago did we get a traffic light across one of the bridges since it was getting too narrow to manuever two cars through safely. Its now a green light only pass. The other bridge is still two lane but still very narrow. You can see over this bridge to the other side so you obviously know if someone is ON or getting ready to cross it. I've been driving both of these bridges for 20 years now and the general rule is that if you see someone already on the bridge and they are bigger than you, then you let them pass as a courtesy and dont try and squeeze through. If its a smaller car and there is room then its a safe pass. TONIGHT tho, Im crossing the bridge and I am more than half way across. (DID I mention that ANY bridge scares the bejeeeeezus out of me no matter how much I cross it?) A guy in a big Dodge truck pulling an RV starts out across it. Now, even in my Nissan Maxima I know there is a snowballs chance in hell that we both can squeeze through that bridge. He keeps coming and of course I have to stop. We are at a standstill. I wouldnt want to back that biatch of a trailer up and off the bridge to let someone through, but then again I would have waited................. SO, I have to back up almost the entire fuc'ng bridge to let him proceed through. Guy was about 70 or so and I was pretty pissed but all I could think of was my grandpa as he smiled and waved to me as he passed :mad: WHO HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY IN THIS SITUATION? Doesn't happen very often but it sucks when it does and courtesy gets the best of me but I'd like to know the actual law?
Depends a lot on what race he is... :boxingguy :D