PDA

View Full Version : boat law question............

Badburn
08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Maybe theres a boat cop guy out there somewhere, here goes.
10 foot inflatable hardbottom raft with a 15 horse outboard, being driven at night, on the sacramento river(california). What are the lighting requirements?

Boatcop
08-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Power driven vessel of that length needs combination red/green bow lights (visible for 1 mile) and a white light showing 360 degrees. (visible for 2 miles).
Red light showing from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees off the port (left) side and green light showing from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees off the starboard (right) side.

Kindsvater Flat
08-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Power driven vessel of that length needs combination red/green bow lights (visible for 1 mile) and a white light showing 360 degrees. (visible for 2 miles).
Red light showing from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees off the port (left) side and green light showing from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees off the starboard (right) side.
Actually we prefer a good Q-Beam for night poaching in the NorCal. Night vision works good also. The deer on the river bottoms up here that feed on the farmlands get huge.

Badburn
08-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the input. Not to disagree, 'cause I said the same thing you did, But, is there any kind of boat that only requires a white light? The know-it-alls at the river are trying to convince me that I only need a white light on my dinghy.
Arent there some different rules for boats under 15 Hp, or maybe boats used for ship to shore purposes?

Boatcop
08-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the input. Not to disagree, 'cause I said the same thing you did, But, is there any kind of boat that only requires a white light? The know-it-alls at the river are trying to convince me that I only need a white light on my dinghy.
Arent there some different rules for boats under 15 Hp, or maybe boats used for ship to shore purposes?
A manually powered boat (canoe, kayak, rowboat, etc) with NO mechanical means of propulsion does not need to be continually lighted, but must show a white light (flashlight/lantern) when other boats are nearby in sufficient time to allow those boats to alter course to avoid a collision.
A manually powered boat is pretty much the only thing that is always the "Stand-On" vessel, meaning other boats must "Give Way" to it.
There are no horsepower cut-offs when it comes to lighting. A vessel powered by machinery is a vessel powered by machinery. Whether it's an electric trolling motor, or 1,000 HP blown Hemi, lights would be the same, determined solely by the boat's length.
At least as far as we (recreational boaters) are concerned. There are literally dozens of various lighting combinations for trawlers, minesweepers, dredges, boats with tows over XXX feet, submarines, etc.
But those are mostly operating on major commercial rivers (Mississippi, Delaware, Missouri, etc) or off-shore. I usually just tell people, if you see something big with a lot of lights on it, get the fock out of the way and stay the fock out of the way.

YeLLowBoaT
08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
But those are mostly operating on major commercial rivers (Mississippi, Delaware, Missouri, etc) or off-shore. I usually just tell people, if you see something big with a lot of lights on it, get the fock out of the way and stay the fock out of the way.
I'll agree with that :crossx:

Badburn
08-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Thanks boat cop. :)

NICE PAIR
08-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Maybe theres a boat cop guy out there somewhere, here goes.
10 foot inflatable hardbottom raft with a 15 horse outboard, being driven at night, on the sacramento river(california). What are the lighting requirements? We're starting to see a lot of brainless nite operation in the delta. hows things Bb?

Wet Dream
08-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Try coming across a coal barge at night. The silent ship wreck. There are about 8 barges, 2 rows of 4, sometimes more. All pushed by a single tugboat with lights. The front of the barges make little noise, but it takes over a mile to stop the monemtum after it rolls over your boat. This is just one, operating the Pittsburgh region, including WV.
Imagine a bunch of them tied together.
http://www.tstarinc.com/union/urr/images/barge-5a.jpg

Dave C
08-24-2006, 07:29 AM
is there a speed limit after dark?

Boatcop
08-24-2006, 11:24 AM
is there a speed limit after dark?
Just like during the day.
"Reasonable and prudent, taking into consideration all hazards that may be present."