PDA

View Full Version : Anybody?

Hunter1
08-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Can anybody tell me what degree i am supposed to set my drive shaft to the motor in my Flat Bottom. I just made a set of mounts and i am setting them in the boat, i made them oversized so i can set the degree. i am new at all of this. Thanks. Craig.

GofastRacer
08-23-2006, 07:27 PM
I take it you have a u-joint drive line right???, if so it's typical just keep both angles constant(same on both ends) and anything but dead nuts will be ok, I would recomend putting the motor as low as you can, prevent it from being top heavy!..

Hunter1
08-26-2006, 07:41 PM
So it doesnt need to be perfectly in line or level?

GofastRacer
08-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Correct you can't be dead nuts, but both angles have to be constant!. Get one of those cheapo $5 protractors frome Home Dump, put it on the v-drive and take a reading then put it on the motor, it needs to read the same!..

Rexone
08-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Angle should be 1º to 3º max, I prefer 1 to 2 max. Crankshaft and vdrive shaft should be parallel, just offset a bit vertically. That automatically makes the angle the same at both ends if the shafts are parallel. You can do it with a level and an cheapo angle finder as GFR said pretty easy. Just move the trailer till the shafts (crank and vdrive) are dead nuts level then measure the drive shaft angle and raise or lower motor accordingly to get in the 1-3 degree range. One of those angle finders that is circular with a leveling needle is real handy for measuring the level on the end of the crank since you obviously can't put a level on it.

GofastRacer
08-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Can't beat it for $5.95!.. :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Protractor.jpg