PDA

View Full Version : Batteries??

OutCole'd
01-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Question. My batteries are 2 years old, and after two seasons are junk and i'm getting ready to replace them. They are standard Intersate wet cell batteries.
Do the gell batteries last any longer? If I switch to these, I am going to need new battery boxes, right? How often are you replacing the gell batteries?
I only have two batteries, but I do not hang at the sand bar with the stereo cranked for 8 hours and they have never been a problem.

gmocnik
01-13-2006, 09:11 AM
bill...
i am sure you will get all sorts of response to this question, so heres my two cents....trust me, thats all its worth....
whether they need it or not, i replace my batteries every two years...batteries usually fail catastrophicaly and at the worst possible time so it's just good insurance. i only have two also. i use an intersate deep cycle ($80) and a west marine 1000 "starting" battery ($90). have had great luck with both of those...
now all the guys with 26 6 volt and 14 optima blue /yellow/pink tops with billitt battery boxes (made from a "splashed" design) all run in series/parrallel with the 2000 watt honda generators can chime in....
gm

Phat Matt
01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
bill...
i am sure you will get all sorts of response to this question, so heres my two cents....trust me, thats all its worth....
whether they need it or not, i replace my batteries every two years...batteries usually fail catastrophicaly and at the worst possible time so it's just good insurance. i only have two also. i use an intersate deep cycle ($80) and a west marine 1000 "starting" battery ($90). have had great luck with both of those...
now all the guys with 26 6 volt and 14 optima blue /yellow/pink tops with billitt battery boxes (made from a "splashed" design) all run in series/parrallel with the 2000 watt honda generators can chime in....
gm
ok :D

Stoneman
01-13-2006, 09:24 AM
I have to talk to the wife, she is the battery expert. Will get back to you! :rollside:

Phat Matt
01-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Hey Bill, I was thinking, this weekend when you are working on the boat you should put some molding on it to make it a little different than the others. :)

Phat Matt
01-13-2006, 09:28 AM
To answer your question, I have always used Optimas. If you keep them topped off and maintained you should get more than two years out of them.

Tom Brown
01-13-2006, 09:31 AM
The Optima in my car is 8 years old. Even at 40 degrees below zero, it hits the starter as hard as I remember it cranking when the battery was new.
I think an AGM battery will last a bit longer than a wet cell as long as your regulator is working properly and you don't cook it with too much voltage. With an AGM, there is no way to replenish the water if you boil it off.
... so I think the Optima is an excellent choice. Walmart sells them at a great price. It would be tough to go wrong.
If you want more power and are willing to spend a little more, Odyssey makes a large format AGM battery that has a lot of power. It would probably make for a cleaner install than a bunch of Optimas or other small batteries. It doesn't sound like you need a lot of power reserve, though.
I run a single red top Optima in my boat. It's just a cranking battery. It's a few years old and I assume it will put in another decade or more before it needs refreshing.
- Tom

OutCole'd
01-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey Bill, I was thinking, this weekend when you are working on the boat you should put some molding on it to make it a little different than the others. :)
Are you making fun of me because I put that Oak hardwood flooring in my boat?

Tom Brown
01-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Here are some quotes from this battery FAQ. (http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#AGM,%20or%20Absorbed%20Glass%20Mat %20Batteries)
"A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM between the plates."
"Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost."
"AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes. Not everyone needs these features."

BigBlockBaja
01-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Im running an Optima Yellow Top in my truck and had the strereo on for hours, Jl500 amp and mtx 2oowatt, Truck fired right up no problems.

Phat Matt
01-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Are you making fun of me because I put that Oak hardwood flooring in my boat?
Not at all. I think of you as an innovator. :)

dirty old man
01-13-2006, 09:53 AM
This comes up every few months or so, but the very best insurance you can buy for youself, especially in hot dry climates, is gel filled batteries. I had a pair last for 7 years at Lake Mead and they were stronger when I sold the boat than when new. Don't risk a failure, go gel for sure

cdog
01-13-2006, 10:17 AM
You can get the optima blue tops at costco. Mine work great.

prozach
01-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Spend the extra money and go with Odyssey. They are military batteries and have worked great.

Rexone
01-13-2006, 11:53 AM
I used to go through batteries every year or two as well. It got frustrating and expensive with multiple batteries in multiple boats. Then I started storing them in the down time with Battery Tenders (NOT trickle chargers) and now they last 5-7 years. The down time sulfation (standard plate batteries) is what kills em off when not in use for long periods and allowed to discharge and sit dead or low.
I also use Optimas now with great results and use the Battery Tenders on them as well. No problems experienced.

OutCole'd
01-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Stupid question.
So the boat is in Havi and I forget what it looks like it's been so long since I have seen it. Will I need new battery boxes if I use the optima's or another style battery?

Tom Brown
01-13-2006, 11:59 AM
...Then I started storing them in the down time with Battery Tenders (NOT trickle chargers) and now they last 5-7 years. The down time sulfation (standard plate batteries) is what kills em off when not in use for long periods and allowed to discharge and sit dead or low.
:cool:

Quality Time
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
You can get "standard" size gel batteries at places like west marine. They are not optimas, but gel none the less. You would not need to change out your boxes. I them on my last boat, no problems.

NashvilleBound
01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I have an American battery account on the West Coast. If one is by you I can give you the account info and the prices are WAY below wholesale...... You WILL be happy I guarantee it. FYI: You will need to pay for them at the store. This is about the only thing I dont make shitt on.;)

Jbb
01-13-2006, 05:17 PM
The Optima in my car is 8 years old. Even at 40 degrees below zero, it hits the starter as hard as I remember it cranking when the battery was new.
I think an AGM battery will last a bit longer than a wet cell as long as your regulator is working properly and you don't cook it with too much voltage. With an AGM, there is no way to replenish the water if you boil it off.
... so I think the Optima is an excellent choice. Walmart sells them at a great price. It would be tough to go wrong.
If you want more power and are willing to spend a little more, Odyssey makes a large format AGM battery that has a lot of power. It would probably make for a cleaner install than a bunch of Optimas or other small batteries. It doesn't sound like you need a lot of power reserve, though.
I run a single red top Optima in my boat. It's just a cranking battery. It's a few years old and I assume it will put in another decade or more before it needs refreshing.
- Tom
Just how "hard".....can a Maxima starter hit..... :p

Panic Button
01-14-2006, 12:15 AM
If you buy your Optima's at Costco, you can get new ones every year for free. They have no way of testing them, just bring them back and they give you new ones

FREIND OF AA AND TA
01-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Are you guys finding that you have to put a charger on a night with the optimas? Will your boats power charge them good enough?

Forkin' Crazy
01-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Interstate Batteries (IBSA) is one of the biggest rip offs in the battery industry. I have been round and round with them on the local level and the corporate level..... Interstate is NOT a good company... Ever seen an honest company have a corporate chaplain?
http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/about_us/chaplaincy/chaplaincy.asp
Optima, mine is on its 4rth year.
I hear Odyssey batteries are the shit! http://www.batterymart.com/c-odyssey.html

2Driver
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
If you buy your Optima's at Costco, you can get new ones every year for free. They have no way of testing them, just bring them back and they give you new ones
Just don't try that with a box of Trojans :D

THOR
01-14-2006, 10:26 AM
What exactly is a "battery tender"? I have heard of these before. How do they differ from a trickle charger?

THOR
01-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Where can I get one?

Rexone
01-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Where can I get one?
We have them.

wanna B V
01-14-2006, 11:22 AM
I use a battery minder. Its the next step up from the tender. Its totally automatic and you can leave it on all the time. Try these guys, great price and quick delivery.. http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=306

Beer-30
01-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Battery Minder, Battery Tender, pretty much same thing. Those are still loose, and have to be secured/unhooked prior to battle and after.
I'm going with something like this:
http://www.dualpro.com/images/pxldxlseries.gif
The most technologically advanced entry level chargers ever offered. Now anglers can enjoy a quality charger that meets their fishing needs at prices they can afford. Features include temperature compensation, reverse polarity protection and full shut-off. Completely waterproof design makes this a great choice for the weekend angler, runabout boats, sail boats and long term storage. Lower charge rate (5 amps per bank) requires only a few hours extra hours to charge vs our 10 amp Pro Series Chargers.
Several brands, this is just one, haven't decided which one to mount yet.

gmocnik
01-14-2006, 12:54 PM
i forgot to add to my first post that as always...opinions are like assholes...everybody has one...
Hey, the 1970s called, they want their batteries back.

Beer-30
01-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Everybody's situation is different. Your batteries wouldn't keep my stereo going for 15 minutes. It's not opinion that I need more batteries of a more extreme duty nature than you, unless it's your opinion that electrical theory suspends itself onboard a boat. ;)
I also don't like liquid batteries in my rides. I am tired of 7yr Delco batteries leaking at the post and killing cables. As soon as I see my new GM batts start to leak (about 1 yr), I pull them and put in an Optima. The one in the truck went 5 years almost to the date. The one in my '57, which sits most of the time is 7 yrs old and I just went and started it a few minutes ago. No leaks, no mess, excellent shelf life. I will run nothing less than Optima, Stinger, any of the gel or AGM are great in my book.

phebus
01-14-2006, 02:01 PM
unless it's your opinion that electrical theory suspends itself onboard a boat. ;)
All theory, and common sense goes out the window when your talking "boat":rollside:

Red Horse
01-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Bill, I have one of those hi tech chargers. Mine is not installed because of the ability of my boat to get everything wet. I have a dedicated place in my garage, keep it there and about wed or so I throw it on the battery if I am going the lake that weekend. I then throw my fluke on it, check voltage after charge then a few hours later. If it is out of parameters I used to take the battery out of my S-10 just in case!!! You can also get a battery condition meter from west marine. They can get pretty hi tech and pricey such as this one
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/232816/10001/694/118/9
But there are others.
I am pretty cognicent of my battery as I only have one and it would be hard to jump start because of location and the way I have been charging has worked well for me. Contact KC, he prolly invented something for what you want :boxed: :cool:

Riverkid
01-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I used to go through batteries every year or two as well. It got frustrating and expensive with multiple batteries in multiple boats. Then I started storing them in the down time with Battery Tenders (NOT trickle chargers) and now they last 5-7 years. The down time sulfation (standard plate batteries) is what kills em off when not in use for long periods and allowed to discharge and sit dead or low.
I also use Optimas now with great results and use the Battery Tenders on them as well. No problems experienced.
There you go, good advice right there. Every app. is different, but so long as the batteriezs are charged correctly (and various battery designs require quite different charge rates, as mentioned) they last a long time (if not overdischarged). At a min you should be recharging stored batteries every month. They do sulfate if allowed to sit. Think of sulfation like a car hood in the dez. The paint oxidizes, as the lead plates will. It then gets really hard for the electro-chem reaction to occur as it should. You have to use a good charger to break that sulfation down and the battery to function correctly.
I've been in the battery biz for a long time. The number 1 killer of batteries is poor recharging practices. Buy a good charger, follow the instructions, and you won't be hauling batteries in and out every season or two...
Is it summer yet?