PDA

View Full Version : Marriage/Divorce Question

Dave4XTC
08-24-2006, 09:05 PM
If you got married in the Bahamas 6 years ago and never filed any legal papers here in the US are you legally married?

lewiville
08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
If you got married in the Bahamas 6 years ago and never filed any legal papers here in the US are you legally married?
Marriage is all a state of mind until she speeks up.
Keep that Pimp hand strong brotha!

Her454
08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
You waited 6 years to worry about it?

YeLLowBoaT
08-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Sounds like a Q for a lawyer...

Dave4XTC
08-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Not me, my buddy!,
We always teased him that he really wasn't married here.
Now he just found out the wife has been out screwing around with a guy at work and he wants to know if he really is legally married.

Jordy
08-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Don't ask, don't tell, and dont' fukkin' talk about it??? This sounds like a great "Was I drinking that day?" time when it comes to excuses. :D :D :D

Dave4XTC
08-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Sounds like a Q for a lawyer...
I agree but he just found out and called me.
I thought someone here might know

YeLLowBoaT
08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
IMO( which means nohting in a court of law)
He is married. 6 years pretty much says it all for me. now if it had been a short ammount of time, I would say no.

acatitude
08-24-2006, 09:29 PM
6 years 2 weeks whats the difference..... so his wife divorces him from the bahamas, tell him to sell all his shit to a friend and hope he can get it back later

lakewake
08-24-2006, 09:30 PM
If they are both American citizens I believe any marriage is enforcable here in the states.

Mr. Crusader 83
08-24-2006, 09:34 PM
A- NEVER GET MARRIED!!!
B- YOUR A FOOL FOR GETTIN MARRIED!!!
C- IF YOU WAITED 6 YEARS TO WORRY ABOUT IT, YOUR A SUCKA!!!

CBadDad
08-24-2006, 09:48 PM
6 years 2 weeks whats the difference..... so his wife divorces him from the bahamas, tell him to sell all his shit to a friend and hope he can get it back later
Best advice I've ever seen here on HB

C-2
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Hmmm.. I can probably get you a pretty definitive answer, what state are we talking about (where did they live at the time of marriage)?

phebus
08-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Hmmm.. I can probably get you a pretty definitive answer, what state are we talking about (where did they live at the time of marriage)?
In the state of confusion if he got married :)

C-2
08-24-2006, 11:53 PM
In the state of confusion if he got married :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132owned.gif

jimslade
08-25-2006, 04:11 AM
YES :crossx:

OCMerrill
08-25-2006, 04:36 AM
Like others have said, I would part out (everythying) quickly and stuff the money somewhere.

axkiker
08-25-2006, 04:43 AM
I would not think that the marriage is legit unless the marriage licenses etc was filed for in the usa. If that was done once they got back sure it would be legit. I however am not narried (Thank God) so I dont know. Just my thoughts

ratso
08-25-2006, 05:02 AM
I got married in Puerta Vallarta (Mexico) to one of mine. We did our divorce here 7 years later (Oh, she had all the papers still). As far as I know, I'm probably still married in Mexico, but who gives a F#ck... ;)
Getting married abroad is good if you're going to do it a bunch of times because it will "buy you one" if there is a limit on how many times you can get married in your state. :idea:

Desert Rat
08-25-2006, 05:40 AM
If the papers were never filed and he can find and shread them :crossx:

CBadDad
08-25-2006, 06:58 AM
...if there is a limit on how many times you can get married in your state. :idea:
Huh?
Some states limit the number of times you can get married?
Texas must not be one of those... :p

a catered life
08-25-2006, 08:45 AM
scary question cause when i got married my wife just let the papers sit around the house for a few days and when i found them i accidently tried to misplace them behind something.... :idea: now that i think about it thats a bad way to start a marriage which may answer why were divorced now :p

doesitfloat?
08-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Papers mean nothing. I think the "common law" marriage is declared after cohabitating for 5 or 7 years (in Cali). Obviously, whether it's 5 or 7 is very critical in your buddy's situation.
Common law marriage means, for all intents and purposes, you're married no matter where you got married or even IF you got married.
One piece of advice for your buddy: If she doesn't know that he knows, tell him to KEEP HIS COOL and not let her know. It'll give him time to get his sh!t together, hide, protect, etc. Most guys just go berserk and then look back and wished that they had "played" it differently.

C-2
08-25-2006, 09:02 AM
No common law in Cali and Cali is a no-fault state - meaning cheating is not an issue (unless presented to a jury). Cali is also a community property state.
We really need the state. In Cali I believe you are supposed to record foreign marriages since a marriage certificate was not obtained.
But then you have all the secondary issues - like the filing of taxes, mortgages, health insurance, credit cards etc. If not legally mariied, then your buddy has already enjoyed some of the perks of a legal marriage.
Can't have it both ways, I don't think.
--
I'm still LMAO at Phebus' response: state of CONFUSION, lol

Deano
08-25-2006, 09:29 AM
My Grandmother got married in the Bahamas a few years back. It was not legit. She had to get remarried in the states. Im not sure about all the paper work though. His might be legit.
I know a kick ass attorney if he needs the number :crossx: .

doesitfloat?
08-25-2006, 09:39 AM
No common law in Cali and Cali
No kidding? Man, I swear that a friend had to deal with a common law issue years ago in Cali. Oh well, thanks for the correction..

Daytona100
08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
What if you got married in Jamaica. Does the US recognize the marriage when you come back to the states?

doesitfloat?
08-25-2006, 10:22 AM
You're right C-2. Off the net:
THE MYTH: There is a common misperception that if you live together for a certain length of time (seven years is what many people believe), you are common-law married. This is not true anywhere in the United States.
STATES THAT RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE:
Only a few states recognize common law marriages:
Alabama
Colorado
Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
Iowa
Kansas
Montana
New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
Oklahoma (possibly only if created before 11/1/98. Oklahoma's laws and court decisions may be in conflict about whether common law marriages formed in that state after 11/1/98 will be recognized.)
Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Washington, D.C.
IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE THAT DOES RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE: If you live in one of the above states and you "hold yourself out to be married" (by telling the community you are married, calling each other husband and wife, using the same last name, filing joint income tax returns, etc.), you can have a common law marriage (for more information on the specific requirements of each state, see next page). Common law marriage makes you a legally married couple in every way, even though you never obtained a marriage license. If you choose to end your relationship, you must get a divorce, even though you never had a wedding. Legally, common law married couples must play by all the same rules as "regular" married couples. If you live in one of the common law states and don't want your relationship to become a common law marriage, you must be clear that it is your intention not to marry. The attorneys who wrote Living Together (additional information below) recommend an agreement in writing that both partners sign and date: "Jane Smith and John Doe agree as follows: That they've been and plan to continue living together as two free, independent beings and that neither has ever intended to enter into any form of marriage, common law or otherwise."

ratso
08-25-2006, 10:24 AM
What if you got married in Jamaica. Does the US recognize the marriage when you come back to the states?
My ex worked for a law firm... Ours was recognized but she may have had something to do with that. When I got busted I just said "Hey Baby... it's only cheatin' if we're in Mexico..." :D
Let's just say that didn't go over too well... :idea:

ratso
08-25-2006, 10:26 AM
You're right C-2. Off the net:
THE MYTH: There is a common misperception that if you live together for a certain length of time (seven years is what many people believe), you are common-law married. This is not true anywhere in the United States.
STATES THAT RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE:
Only a few states recognize common law marriages:
Alabama
Colorado
Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
Iowa
Kansas
Montana
New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
Oklahoma (possibly only if created before 11/1/98. Oklahoma's laws and court decisions may be in conflict about whether common law marriages formed in that state after 11/1/98 will be recognized.)
Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Washington, D.C.
IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE THAT DOES RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE: If you live in one of the above states and you "hold yourself out to be married" (by telling the community you are married, calling each other husband and wife, using the same last name, filing joint income tax returns, etc.), you can have a common law marriage (for more information on the specific requirements of each state, see next page). Common law marriage makes you a legally married couple in every way, even though you never obtained a marriage license. If you choose to end your relationship, you must get a divorce, even though you never had a wedding. Legally, common law married couples must play by all the same rules as "regular" married couples. If you live in one of the common law states and don't want your relationship to become a common law marriage, you must be clear that it is your intention not to marry. The attorneys who wrote Living Together (additional information below) recommend an agreement in writing that both partners sign and date: "Jane Smith and John Doe agree as follows: That they've been and plan to continue living together as two free, independent beings and that neither has ever intended to enter into any form of marriage, common law or otherwise."
In Alabama that also applies if you are living with your sister...

rivercrazy
08-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Ratso - ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Dave4XTC
08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
He is here in Ca., Like was said before he has enjoyed the perks ie. insurance, taxes, and they refi'ed HIS house and her name is on the mortgage!
I think he is screwed!!!!!!!!!!!

socalUltra22
08-25-2006, 11:50 AM
He is here in Ca., Like was said before he has enjoyed the perks ie. insurance, taxes, and they refi'ed HIS house and her name is on the mortgage!
Your buddy needs to have her sign a quick claim to get her off title asap. Just slip it behind another piece of paper have her sign and find a notary to look the other way and notarize it. Have it recorded and bam no more fake wife on title.

doesitfloat?
08-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Yes, he is.
Another friend of mine let her keep the house as part of the settlement (kids, etc) but didn't insist that she refinance to clear his name from the loan.
Fast forward several years where another dude's living in the house with her and they aren't making payments. They wiped out his credit and he couldn't do anything about it. He just kept begging her to refi but she said no to spite him.
I don't know if there was anything legal that he could've done but the point is obvious in a divorce. Liquidate everything, distribute, cut ties, and move on.

doesitfloat?
08-25-2006, 11:54 AM
I have another friend that sold his $600,000 condo in San Francisco, took the $450,000 in equity and bought a $1.3 mil house on the peninsula and put his girlfriend's name on it? WTF...

Three Days Only
08-25-2006, 11:56 AM
No Matter What, Its Cheaper To Keep Her!!!!!!!!! Lol

cjordan
08-25-2006, 12:38 PM
She must be asking for half......... :cry: :eat:

ratso
08-25-2006, 01:49 PM
She must be asking for half......... :cry: :eat:
...like Jerry Reed said,
They Split It Right Down The Middle... And Gave Her The Better Half

NoCal NoBoat
08-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Can't speak to the legality of the marriage, but I would encourage him to document all the relevant dates - date of the marriage, date of separation, etc.
If it's legal, the length of the marriage (date of marriage to date of separation) determines some important things, i.e. short-term marriage or long-term marriage ? alimony (pay for half the length of the marriage or ???)
Children from the marriage ? Own real estate ? Spend a couple of bucks and consult an attorney.
Don't learn things the hard way, like I did.

RitcheyRch
08-25-2006, 03:20 PM
So true.
No Matter What, Its Cheaper To Keep Her!!!!!!!!! Lol