PDA

View Full Version : Pics of fuel tank mounting?

DelawareDave
08-25-2006, 08:02 AM
I will be mounting round fuel tanks in my project boat in the near future. After searching here, I found a few mentions of bonding or fiberglassing wood or aluminum to the bottom of the boat. Does anyone have any detailed pics of their installations? I am not drilling holes thru the bottom of the boat under any circumstances. I am not comfortable with that method, even tho a lot of people here do it that way without problems.

TJS
08-25-2006, 08:13 AM
A recent hot boat magazine (June or July 06) showed how to do this with an alum plate that had studs drilled and tapped for the tank mount spacing. The plate had holes drilled in it so the epoxy can flow through this. The plate was mounted in the gunnel with and epoxied in. They say it only raised the tank a little. I guess it depends on how thick the alum plate is. I would not use over 1/4" thick though. I was going to do this with my nordic but it already has holes in the hull.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com

DelawareDave
08-25-2006, 08:50 AM
A recent hot boat magazine (June or July 06) showed how to do this with an alum plate that had studs drilled and tapped for the tank mount spacing. The plate had holes drilled in it so the epoxy can flow through this. The plate was mounted in the gunnel with and epoxied in. They say it only raised the tank a little. I guess it depends on how thick the alum plate is. I would not use over 1/4" thick though. I was going to do this with my nordic but it already has holes in the hull.
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com
I'll have to look. I am pretty sure I have those issues. I just wish I could say the same about the newest one that everyone else seems to have gotten already! :cry:

'75 Miller
08-25-2006, 05:32 PM
I made some platforms out of 3/4" birch ply then glassed 'em in. Used to have 10 gal saddle tanks glassed in & carpeted. The edge of the tank sat on the inside of the hull. My platforms raise the new larger stainless tanks up a bit above the hull & hopefully will distribute the load ok.

'75 Miller
08-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Forgot to mention that I also have two pieces of 1/4" angle that will be welded to the left side of the tank pictured and bolt to the gunnel support. The existing gunnel supports in my boat were in good shape, but to be safe I made pieces to double them up & glassed it all in.
Don't know if this is what you're lookin' for, let me know if you wanna see more pics.
Matt

502 JET
08-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey Dave just take a 1.5-2" piece of aluminum flat stock and drill the holes to match up with your brackets.Use a long bolts with nuts and lock them down on the aluminum plate to form studs.Glass the plates with studs attached onto the floor then mount the tanks.
Do not drill through the hull!!!!!