PDA

View Full Version : Cruiser Time?

Schiada Time
01-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I know I have talked about this before ( this is Hot Rod hallet) but I think this year I am ready to jump into a bigger boat. My girlfriend and her daughter are boating more on Mead now and getting our asses handed to us in my '19 Hallett bubble deck. I have started looking for a suitable cruiser replacement and have a few ides of what I want but the age old question remains-Jet or V-drive? We would still like to boat the river.
These are the boats I am considering:
Spectra 20-Jet
Howard '21 Cruiser- V-Drive
Hallett 18 mini Cruiser-Jet
DiMarco 21 crusier-V-drive
Hallett 21 cruiser-Jet or V-drive
Eliminator 20-Jet or V-drive
I know all these boats are solid built boats but would like to get a few opinions.
By the time I sell my Hallett and show truck my budget will be between $15,000-16,000.
Thanks in advance for your input.

P-Money
01-13-2006, 03:01 PM
What about a Cole 20.5?

Schiada Time
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
there is another one I did not think of.

taxman
01-13-2006, 05:18 PM
check out the kachina on ebay in the jet boats section. It's my friend and is a turn key boat

MudPumper
01-13-2006, 05:28 PM
I know I have talked about this before ( this is Hot Rod hallet) but I think this year I am ready to jump into a bigger boat. My girlfriend and her daughter are boating more on Mead now and getting our asses handed to us in my '19 Hallett bubble deck. I have started looking for a suitable cruiser replacement and have a few ides of what I want but the age old question remains-Jet or V-drive? We would still like to boat the river.
Spectra 20-Jet
I know all these boats are solid built boats but would like to get a few opinions.
By the time I sell my Hallett and show truck my budget will be between $15,000-16,000.
:idea: :idea: :idea: ;)

cyclone
01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Spectra 20-Jet
Your Hallet is all dialed-in so you can just turn the key and go but its highly likely that any of these boats you are looking at purchasing will need work. You prepared to swing wrenches on another boat? Besides that, i can't believe you are going to sell the Red Rocker already. It's a great truck man.

dmontzsta
01-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Dont forget Rayson-Craft or Schiada.

Nucking futs
01-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Or the Southwind 20 with a "FRESH" 468

bigpapasean
01-13-2006, 06:42 PM
also Miller 20 in jet or v drive

mexrunner
01-13-2006, 07:23 PM
or the rogers 20' jet. just thought i'd add one more :rollside:

SPECTRABRENT
01-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Spectra 20-Jet
Travis,
If you are going to be boating @ Lake Mead, I would go with a 24 footer, I have seen a couple of Hallett 24's with a Gale Banks Turbo setup and a Berkeley jet. That way you can boat on the river or the lake.
Brent

flat broke
01-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Trav,
What happend to the Gatorade boat? How bout your buddies twin turbo deal?
I'm with Brent on the bigger is better for Mead, but I know you don't want to be assed out for Blythe/ Aha/ BR / NMP/ Moabi trips either. So I say shorten your list a little. The Howard 21, Spectra 20, Rogers 20, and Dimarco are all pretty much the same boat with different decks depending on which year. For the most part, they are all built about the same. They'll all have a steep enough entry and sufficient weight to beat down light chop, but they are not exactly the smoothest things on a windy afternoon if you're trying to carry the nose.
The Hallet 210, Vector, and Schiada all run a little more deadrise out back and will tend to feel smoother when on plane but probably plow through the same as the other group of boats.
The Dana SW 20 doesn't have the entry that the first two groups have, but it does have a steeper deadrise after the transition, and Ty's seems to ride pretty smooth (for it's size) on top of chop. But it will not plow through stuff like the other boats mentioned. I believe the Cole would be about the same as would the Eliminator sport cruiser. For all of these, I'm talking in Jet form cause I don't know dick about V'drives.
That 18' Hallet is a nice hull, kind of a scaled down 20'er, but would leave you hurtin for space with the woman, and kiddie stuff on board. Even in my 20, I wish I had more storage. If you're open to the 18 Hallet, you should also be open to the 18 Spectra. If Coastguard Steve had his boat for sale still, I'd say look at that, as it's a clean piece, but again its smaller, and I think its pretty hard to find a full stringer Spectra 18, let alone one with a C/G pump. Though with the tight confines of the hull, the setback of a E/F pump isn't exactly a bad thing either.
If you like the 18 Hallet, and wouldn't mind a project, I say you call Squirtin Thunder, see how much he'd let the 18 he bought from Disco go for, re-gel it yourself with some help, and start building it up. If you're going to sell the Red Rocker either way, then sell it for $$ to finish the Hallet less motor and pump. Take your pump and motor out of your bubble, put in a no frills rebuilt JC/JG and Brick stock 460 and move the bubble. This way you have the 18 all together and ready to roll so there is no rush on completion of the new deal. You'll have enough capital to do the new boat right since you'll be recycling a strong motor and pump combo, and you'll know that everything in the boat is done right, cause it's all fresh.
Outside of that, keep in touch with Spectra Brent to see if he knows of any 20s around that are good candidates, and maybe contact Throwerb to see if he still has his Rogers 20. The last time I saw that boat, it was clean, and I think he had it for sale around your price range. The only problem would be the road trip to pick it up, but if it's the right boat for you, it's worth it.
Either way, get something going. Chessmore's got the Howie, Hustler's got the Hustler, Hacker's got the Dana, I've got my clunker, join the cruiser posse. You'll always have an excuse for being slow, will have room to give the lo pro guys' women rides back to camp in comfort, and I see more family orriented trips in the future for us.
BTW, gimme a call this weekend so we can catch up.
Lates,
Chris

throwerb
01-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Trav,
What happend to the Gatorade boat? How bout your buddies twin turbo deal?
I'm with Brent on the bigger is better for Mead, but I know you don't want to be assed out for Blythe/ Aha/ BR / NMP/ Moabi trips either. So I say shorten your list a little. The Howard 21, Spectra 20, Rogers 20, and Dimarco are all pretty much the same boat with different decks depending on which year. For the most part, they are all built about the same. They'll all have a steep enough entry and sufficient weight to beat down light chop, but they are not exactly the smoothest things on a windy afternoon if you're trying to carry the nose.
The Hallet 210, Vector, and Schiada all run a little more deadrise out back and will tend to feel smoother when on plane but probably plow through the same as the other group of boats.
The Dana SW 20 doesn't have the entry that the first two groups have, but it does have a steeper deadrise after the transition, and Ty's seems to ride pretty smooth (for it's size) on top of chop. But it will not plow through stuff like the other boats mentioned. I believe the Cole would be about the same as would the Eliminator sport cruiser. For all of these, I'm talking in Jet form cause I don't know dick about V'drives.
That 18' Hallet is a nice hull, kind of a scaled down 20'er, but would leave you hurtin for space with the woman, and kiddie stuff on board. Even in my 20, I wish I had more storage. If you're open to the 18 Hallet, you should also be open to the 18 Spectra. If Coastguard Steve had his boat for sale still, I'd say look at that, as it's a clean piece, but again its smaller, and I think its pretty hard to find a full stringer Spectra 18, let alone one with a C/G pump. Though with the tight confines of the hull, the setback of a E/F pump isn't exactly a bad thing either.
If you like the 18 Hallet, and wouldn't mind a project, I say you call Squirtin Thunder, see how much he'd let the 18 he bought from Disco go for, re-gel it yourself with some help, and start building it up. If you're going to sell the Red Rocker either way, then sell it for $$ to finish the Hallet less motor and pump. Take your pump and motor out of your bubble, put in a no frills rebuilt JC/JG and Brick stock 460 and move the bubble. This way you have the 18 all together and ready to roll so there is no rush on completion of the new deal. You'll have enough capital to do the new boat right since you'll be recycling a strong motor and pump combo, and you'll know that everything in the boat is done right, cause it's all fresh.
Outside of that, keep in touch with Spectra Brent to see if he knows of any 20s around that are good candidates, and maybe contact Throwerb to see if he still has his Rogers 20. The last time I saw that boat, it was clean, and I think he had it for sale around your price range. The only problem would be the road trip to pick it up, but if it's the right boat for you, it's worth it.
Either way, get something going. Chessmore's got the Howie, Hustler's got the Hustler, Hacker's got the Dana, I've got my clunker, join the cruiser posse. You'll always have an excuse for being slow, will have room to give the lo pro guys' women rides back to camp in comfort, and I see more family orriented trips in the future for us.
BTW, gimme a call this weekend so we can catch up.
Lates,
Chris
Thanks Chris. Looks even better now. New motor, exhaust & trailer. Still for sale.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1807008_5A.JPG

garret
01-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Spectra 20-Jet
Tavis found the perfect boat for you!!!!!
Will fit your style with the quite exhaust and should handle mead.
Will also look good behind Red Rocker and you could keep your license plates of RETROTOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should really consider this one
http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/cf/60/b5_3.JPG

VD CRUISER
01-15-2006, 06:15 PM
I may be biased, but with a boat that big, (21'), I think you would like a V-drive better. Cruising RPM on my 21' Howard is about 2000.

Squirtin Thunder
01-15-2006, 06:21 PM
I will be rerigging the Hallett in the months to come. It will be getting a BBF torque monster and should be running a A3 impeller for max thrust per rpm. We should have a great family cruiser with two seats.

Boater Bill
01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Travis, why aren't you considering an I/O? We made the move late last year to 21 cruiser I/O and couldnt be happier.

Schiada Time
01-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I grew up in an I/O boat and it might sound stupid but I just do not like the look of that big ass drive hanging off the back of the boat. Plus anything I look at is probably going to be newer with an I/o and alot more cash. I still want a classic boat. Right now I am leaning toward a Spectra 20 Jet or the '21 Howard V-drive or 21 Dimarco v-drive. I have always wanted a V-drive and we plan to do a lot more boating on lake mead since my folks have a home there. Decisions, decisions!! I need to sell something first so I guess I should not be in too big a hurry. If the right boat comes along I will figure out a way to get it but I don't want to sell my boat right now since it is dead of winter and I'll take a bath on it. We will see what the next few months brings.

Schiada Time
01-16-2006, 10:55 AM
ThrowerB- Do you have more pics/ Motor/Pump/ Interior/trailer? What is the motor/pump combo? stereo? Condition of Trailer? How much are you asking?

throwerb
01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
ThrowerB- Do you have more pics/ Motor/Pump/ Interior/trailer? What is the motor/pump combo? stereo? Condition of Trailer? How much are you asking?
Here is a link to my gallery here on ***boat. Don't have pics of the new trailer but I could take some. Pump was built by GS marine stage Two blueprint. Motor is a brand new 454 4 bolt w/ rectangle heads and a Wiend tunnel ram, about 550 hp. Also has new lightning headers on it. I also have brand new Red Billet swim steps from dana marine to put on. Stereo is JVC head unit with two fosgate amps and 4 6x9 cerwin vega IT's and a 15 cerwin vega IT sub. Boat has 4 batteries 2 are the huge optimas. Want at least 16k for it, have over 30k in it. Thanks for the interest.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showgallery.php?ppuser=1807&cat=500

Schiada Time
01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
ThrowerB- very nice boat. What year is the hull? Looks like the boat has been completely gone through. Interior is in great shape and I saw the pump is set back which is cool. I am interested and would like to see some pics of the trailer as well when you have a chance. Why are you selling it? Would be hard to replace with something esle as nice. why is it sitting on a v-drive trailer?
travis

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
01-16-2006, 04:56 PM
My Project is still for sale a 1976 21'6" Fresno Daycuiser, can email pictures to anyone interested, just send me an email to;
tintius@comcast.net

throwerb
01-16-2006, 05:18 PM
ThrowerB- very nice boat. What year is the hull? Looks like the boat has been completely gone through. Interior is in great shape and I saw the pump is set back which is cool. I am interested and would like to see some pics of the trailer as well when you have a chance. Why are you selling it? Would be hard to replace with something esle as nice. why is it sitting on a v-drive trailer?
travis
Trailer is the one it came on, maybe to clear the fin on bottom of boat in the middle of hull. I spent 3k a year ago having it rebuilt. Wasn't really trying to sell it now but if someone comes along and wants it I would concider selling it because I don't get to use it much and my daughters want sea-doos. I will take some pics of the trailer and new motor as soon as I get a chance. I see you are not in a huge hurry and that is fine I'm not either. Thanks again.

DeltaSigBoater
01-17-2006, 01:43 AM
The boat is a 1990/91 Rogers, originally built for a retired LAPD officer, who used the boat on Lake Mead.
The interior is original.
I have actually driven the boat several times. Last time was during the summer of ’93 (I was 12).

throwerb
01-17-2006, 04:36 AM
The boat is a 1990/91 Rogers, originally built for a retired LAPD officer, who used the boat on Lake Mead.
The interior is original.
I have actually driven the boat several times. Last time was during the summer of ’93 (I was 12).
1990 Thanks, I guess I skiped that part.

throwerb
01-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Pics of trailer will be up sat.