PDA

View Full Version : Chemotherapy and what to expect

Boozer
08-25-2006, 12:15 PM
My grandmother was recently diagnosed with severe cervical cancer. She now has to undergo 3 weeks of chemotherapy and radiation. She is on a chemo drip 24 hours a day. I have never known anyone that has gone through chemo and I would like to know what to expect and what to look out for. My grandfather is taking care of her but he is elderly and so I plan to stay with her as much as possible while she undergoes the chemo to provide emotional support and also be there for her if anything happens.

voodoomedman
08-25-2006, 12:29 PM
My grandmother was recently diagnosed with severe cervical cancer. She now has to undergo 3 weeks of chemotherapy and radiation. She is on a chemo drip 24 hours a day. I have never known anyone that has gone through chemo and I would like to know what to expect and what to look out for. My grandfather is taking care of her but he is elderly and so I plan to stay with her as much as possible while she undergoes the chemo to provide emotional support and also be there for her if anything happens.
My MIL went through Breast Cancer. Not a 24 hour drip though. At the minimum expect constant naseua, no energy, basically just lay there and do nothing till the stuff wears off. Good luck and prayers to your grandmother.

doesitfloat?
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
This is hard for me to write since you and she are probably full of hope.
My grandmother had colon cancer at 62 which spread. At that point, she still wanted to fight so she did the chemo and it basically took the 4-6 months that she had left and made her nausious, tired, and bedridden.
I wish that she had enjoyed her remaining days...but that's with hindsight.
That was her situation. Hopefully, yours is more isolated and treatable.
In her case, it was 1 week of chemo (very uncomfortable), 2 weeks of nausea and general sickness, and the 4th week she'd start to feel a little better then start over again.
Good luck to her, you, and the family.

Ryphraph
08-25-2006, 12:45 PM
It depends a lot on the actual drugs that are being used. There are many different drugs and all will have different side effects from very mild to extreme. There a lot of terrific drugs to help fight the side effects now as well. Be sure that she lets the doc know what she is going through and they will do everything they can to make her feel as good as possible.
My wife had chemo and it was hard but she got through it OK.
Ryph

Sleek316
08-25-2006, 12:49 PM
My Mother age 80 is going through this, she is as tough as they come. I hear that drinking Gatorade helps replace electrolytes distroyed by the Chemo. My mother says she doesn't notice an improvement but I heard this from a good trusted source so hopefully it will help in your cases

centerhill condor
08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
one word... HELL!
watched my MIL go crazy on the stuff..

squirt'nmyload
08-25-2006, 01:34 PM
my mom survived colon cancer....she had chemo drip for 1 week at a time every other week for months. she kept herself in great spirits and got throught it ok. now it is all gone and she said she feels like a kid again, living her life to the fullest. we hope everything turns out great for your grandmother. our thoughts are with you and your family.

cc322
08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
My grandmother was diagnosed with the same thing a few years ago, first they did surgey, and then all the chemo and stuff. The Docs said he would give her two years from the operation. And that was about as long as she lasted. It is a very hiddeous diease and I miss her so much we were very close. I hope your situation finds better results. But be strong for her and keep the faith. The chemo will be hard on her, some days worse then others. My grandmother was 83 when she passed. I fill fortunate I was able to spend alot of time with her.

Tom Brown
08-25-2006, 02:28 PM
The chemo she is likely to get isn't too bad, as chemo goes, particularly in the doses she will be taking. She will end up carrying around a small device about the size of a baby bottle. It's not a big encumbrance. Still, chemo isn't a load of laughs and the older a person is, the tougher it is on their system.
Try to stay positive. It sounds like she's had a good life and could well continue that life for some time. Either way, enjoy her and the time she has. Life is something to be celebrated.
You and your family have my very best wishes, Boozer. :)

Cheap Thrills
08-25-2006, 02:43 PM
I've had a couple of family members have to go through the chemo treatments. you can expect pretty much what everyone has stated so far. Have them prescribe her some "Marinol" It will help with the nausia and the other adverse side effects of Chemo therapy :)
C.T. :wink:

Debbolas
08-25-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry Boozer, our prayers are with your grammy:(
My neighbor Chuck, has brain cancer and chemo and surgery and his hair has just grown back:)