PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Selection??? Scat or Pro-Line

Hotcrusader76
10-28-2002, 06:07 PM
I am trying to select a crankshaft for my Merlin motor project. I have already been recommended a model and brand, but what are the popular opinions out there? Forged of course...

West Coast Dave
10-28-2002, 06:11 PM
We've used both a Scat and a Cola in our 8,000 rpm small block, had no real problems w/ either, but our crank grinder liked the finish much better on the Cola. We are going to check into a Crower or Callies next compared to the Cola. Good Luck in whichever one.

Craig
10-28-2002, 06:12 PM
A bunch of us use Larry's Speed & Marine for motors. He always uses the Scat or Lunati cranks for 90% of his work.
Craig

GofastRacer
10-28-2002, 06:34 PM
Crower, Callies, Cola and Lunati are top notch cranks!, as far as Scat goes, I've heard horror stories about them, I heard they are not USA made???!..Again, this is what I been told!!, just to be aware!..... eek!

565edge
10-28-2002, 06:45 PM
The best bang for your buck is the callies dragonslayer!

Hotcrusader76
10-28-2002, 06:52 PM
Aren't the Cola's heavier than the Callies or Lunati?

Clown
10-28-2002, 08:26 PM
Bryant!!

DogHouse
10-28-2002, 09:37 PM
I have a 4.5" Scat crank in my motor. It's at around 100 hrs by now, just keeps goin' round and round... No problems yet and the price was right. My motor doesn't see much over 6k rpm and is not blown so I didn't need the absolute strongest piece out there. Best choice will just depend on your application. WWW.FLATLANDERRACING.COM (http://WWW.FLATLANDERRACING.COM) has some very good prices in case you're interested.
-brian

Hotcrusader76
10-29-2002, 04:41 AM
DogHouse:
I have a 4.5" Scat crank in my motor. It's at around 100 hrs by now, just keeps goin' round and round... No problems yet and the price was right. My motor doesn't see much over 6k rpm and is not blown so I didn't need the absolute strongest piece out there. Best choice will just depend on your application. WWW.FLATLANDERRACING.COM (http://WWW.FLATLANDERRACING.COM) has some very good prices in case you're interested.
-brianYeah I find that Flatlanders cranks are the cheapest, but his blocks are more on the pricey side! But my budget venture isn't over yet. :D

DogHouse
10-29-2002, 07:50 AM
Hotcrusader76:
Yeah I find that Flatlanders cranks are the cheapest, but his blocks are more on the pricey side! But my budget venture isn't over yet. :D Really, which blocks are you looking at? I've been thinking of stepping up to a Big-M and Flatlander's prices are a hundred or two under Summit. If you know of a better source please let me know, 'cause these things ain't cheap! I'm pulling the motor out tomorrow to troubleshoot an internal water leak... If it turns out to be the block then I'll be shopping too!
-brian

565edge
10-29-2002, 06:19 PM
I used the merlin pro-block for my motor,310#'s,the block is a heavy mo fo,i would suggest the new dart big m's,they are lighter and dont need as much machine work,my new merlin needed to be line honed and decked.

Hotcrusader76
10-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Yeah...I have been throwing around whether to get the Merlin or Dart....Weight is obviously a concern to me...thanks....I will dig further on this info...

Rexone
10-29-2002, 08:32 PM
If you guys need Merlin stuff let me know. We can usually beat the catalog houses on blocks and heads.

DogHouse
10-29-2002, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty sold on the Dart. Besides the light weight, it also has a some nice features that the Merlin II doesn't, for about the same price. Best part is that it'll swing a 4.5" crank & steel rods without grinding (or so they claim). I also like the idea of the front oil crossover to eliminate the leakage around the distributor shaft.
Rexone, any chance you guys will start carrying Dart products?
-brian

565edge
10-29-2002, 09:24 PM
DogHouse:
I'm pretty sold on the Dart. Besides the light weight, it also has a some nice features that the Merlin II doesn't, for about the same price. Best part is that it'll swing a 4.5" crank & steel rods without grinding (or so they claim). I also like the idea of the front oil crossover to eliminate the leakage around the distributor shaft.
-brianA friend of mine had to do alot of clearincing to clear a 4.5 stroke crank with a dart block.He might of had aluminum rods?

565edge
10-29-2002, 09:27 PM
I can get the real merlin pro-blocks for $1900.not merlin 2 but the real deal,i bought mine for $1800,and he uped his price $100 bucks,my buddy bought one for $1900 from him.let me know?

Rexone
10-29-2002, 09:30 PM
DogHouse:
-brianDon't have plans for Dart at this time but we never say never on stuff like this.

DogHouse
10-29-2002, 09:31 PM
Yeah aluminum rods need a ton more clearance than steel. Either that or the Dart marketing dept is FOS! I haven't used one yet so I don't know for sure. Guess I'll find out one of these days...
-brian

Hotcrusader76
10-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Thanks to everyones insight, I think my gut instinct has pushed me towards a Scat crank. Sometimes it's the experience that wins me over, but then again it can be the knowledge. But after investigating somethings about the Companies who manufacture them...I have made my choice...
Thanks guys! More to follow

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 08:11 PM
Hotcrusader76:
I am trying to select a crankshaft for my Merlin motor project. I have already been recommended a model and brand, but what are the popular opinions out there? Forged of course...What's the motor for Ty? Same hull of different? HOW ARE YOU!?

Hotcrusader76
10-30-2002, 08:14 PM
78Eliminator:
Hotcrusader76:
I am trying to select a crankshaft for my Merlin motor project. I have already been recommended a model and brand, but what are the popular opinions out there? Forged of course...What's the motor for Ty? Same hull of different? HOW ARE YOU!?Chillin' :D
Hull???? Hmmm not to sure yet...Ultra or DCB. Might keep the Crusader and detune her for Julie.
Just bought a place in Santee.....Starting the shop out in Lakeside area with "Diversified Metal Craft"
Other than that.....staying busy!

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 08:16 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Hull???? Hmmm not to sure yet...Ultra or DCB. Might keep the Crusader and detune her for Julie.
Just bought a place in Santee.....Starting the shop out in Lakeside area with "Diversified Metal Craft"
Other than that.....staying busy!Cool. I was wondering what you're up to with that shit. I am redoing my jet up in Cotsa Mesa soon. You never got to take a ride in the daytona after I got everything straight and it runs really nice now. We should do a martinez run some time. Anyway, did you get the valve spring thing sorted out with the HC or not? Glad you're doing well. I have been receiving a bunch of e-mails regarding your business but I'm sure you already knew that :)
[ October 30, 2002, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Hotcrusader76
10-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Emails? Your not selling the Bosch Platinums to my customers are you...LOL

Hotcrusader76
10-30-2002, 09:00 PM
Yeah Justin...you still owe that ride and last final tune. I bet you a case a beer that I can squeeze some more MPH out of her for ya! :p

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 09:02 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Emails? Your not selling the Bosch Platinums to my customers are you...LOL**** no. I'm glad you're doing well.