PDA

View Full Version : Launch ramps... Lake Pacific

RP2
08-27-2006, 07:15 AM
I know a lot of you guys drop your boats in big blue so I thought I would ask here first. Where is the best place to launch for a cruise around Long Beach/Hunnington. Prefer one with wash down facilities.
This will be the first time in salt... any pointers on clean-up?
Thanks in advance for any help.

andy01
08-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Use the launch ramp that is just in front of the Queen Mary in Long Beach. It's 8 bucks and wash down is free. HB launch has no was down area. If you have a steel trailer then wash it down after you put your boat in and as soon as you pull it out. Wash, rinse and do it again. If you do it right salt will have zero effect on your boat or trailer, if you don't it will show over time. There are polls that stick up out of the water behind the break water, they are yellow watch out for them, and remember a anchored ship could have a chain/cable 40 feet away from it.
Andy

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2006, 07:30 AM
South Shore in Long Beach (near the Queen Mary) is a nice ramp and wash-down rack. It's a pretty short idle out.
I haven't launched at Davies in awhile.
Huntington Harbor doesn't have a wash-down rack, and is pretty tight if you have a bigger boat.
IMO, Back Bay in Newport is probably the best facility, but it has a fairly long idle out of the harbor, and it's kinda far from Long Beach.
Bring a hose, soap, and quarters. I usually rinse the trailer after I get the boat in the water. "Salt Away" (from West Marine) is good insurance- just run it through your motors after you get the boat out.

socaldj1
08-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Is there any prep work that should be done before before launching in salt water. I've been thinking of takeing the family out for a cruise in the harbor just to get out. i was thinking of launching at Newport, because it's the closest. But which launch would have best views? It's only a 21' deck boat and I'm not sure how the family will feel about going out past the break water. Also, best time of the day? Thanks,

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Is there any prep work that should be done before before launching in salt water. I've been thinking of takeing the family out for a cruise in the harbor just to get out. i was thinking of launching at Newport, because it's the closest. But which launch would have best views? It's only a 21' deck boat and I'm not sure how the family will feel about going out past the break water. Also, best time of the day? Thanks,
My prep work usually consists of making sure the cooler is full.
IMO, Newport is the best harbor for cruising around...it's the biggest, and there's lots of scenery and a few resteraunts. People cruise in those Duffy boats all day long.