PDA

View Full Version : Officials: Kentucky Plane Used Wrong Runway

RitcheyRch
08-27-2006, 10:52 AM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/topstories_story_239083545.html
(CBS) LEXINGTON, Ky. Pilots of the Comair commuter jet that crashed with 50 people aboard near Lexington, Ky., used the wrong runway, CBS News has learned.
Forty-nine of the 50 people aboard were killed. The one survivor, a crewmember, was reported in critical condition.
U.S. officials who requested anonymity told CBS News Correspondent Bob Orr that the pilots apparently used a runway that was too short to accommodate the takeoff of the jet.
The officials said the pilots had made "a critical and fatal mistake."
The plane, Comair Flight 5191, a CRJ-200 regional jet with 47 passengers and three crew members, crashed at 6:07 a.m. Sunday after taking off for Atlanta, said Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration.
The plane was largely intact afterward, but there was a fire following the impact, police said.
A little after 6 a.m., flight controllers gave the pilots clearance to take off from runway 22 and the pilots acknowledged the controllers with a "roger," Orr reports. However, it appears the pilots took off from runway 26, which is only half the size of the 7,000 foot runway 22.
Sources tell Orr the radar tape and debris from the crash site suggest the plane never got airborne, that instead it went off the end of the runway and through a retaining area before settling into the crash site where it seems a significant post-crash fire erupted.
Orr adds that two flights took off from the correct runway (22) just prior to the Comair flight's departure.
Comair President Don Bornhorst confirmed the number of passengers, but gave very few details of the incident during a press conference Sunday morning. He urged victims' relatives to call (800) 801-0088 for more information.
"We are absolutely, totally committed to doing everything humanly possible to determine the cause of this accident," Bornhorst said at a news conference.
He said he could not speculate on the cause or confirm who the survivor was.
"We have no indication at all that this has anything to do with terrorism," said Laura Brown, an FAA spokeswoman.
The crash marks the end of what has been called the "safest period in aviation history" in the United States.
Lexington police spokesman Sean Lawson said investigators were looking into whether the plane took off from the wrong runway.
"The crew had been operating the same airplane for quite some time," Bornhorst said.
The pilot was hired in 1999 and had been a captain since 2004. The First office had been with Comair since 2002, and the flight attendant had been with Comair since 2004.
Bornhorst said the maintenance of the plane was up to date, with routine maintenance as recently as Saturday. Comair purchased that plane in January 2001, and all maintainance was normal as far as the information Comair has now, he said.
The plane had 14,500 flight hours, "consistent with aircraft of that age," Bornhorst said.
The University of Kentucky hospital was treating one survivor, who was in critical condition, spokesman Jay Blanton said. No other survivors have been brought to the hospital, he said.
Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn said the passengers and crew appeared to still be on the plane and the deaths were caused either by the impact or the "hot fire" on board.
"We are going to say a mass prayer before we begin the work of removing the bodies," Ginn said, referring to the chaplains who serve the airport.
A temporary morgue was being set up at the scene and the bodies will be brought to the state medical examiner's office in Frankfort, Ginn said.
He said both flight recorders have been found.
Rose Wilson, who lives near the airport, said she was awakened by the crash.
"I thought it was thunder," she said.
Investigators from the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board were en route to the scene, said Brown of the FAA.
The airport closed for three hours after the crash, but reopened by 9 a.m.
Chaplains at Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport were meeting with family members waiting for their loved ones at the airport, said the Rev. Harold Boyce, an airport chaplain.
White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said President Bush, who is spending a long weekend at his family's summer home on the Maine coast, was being briefed on the crash by aides. The news of it broke while he and his wife, Laura, where at church with the elder Bushes. Perino had no other information about the crash.
Comair is a subsidiary of Delta Air Lines based in the Cincinnati suburb of Erlanger, Ky.
The Bombardier Canadair CRJ-100 is a twin-engine aircraft that can carry up to 50 passengers, according to Delta's Web site.
There has not been a major crash in the United States since Nov. 12, 2001, when American Airlines Flight 587 plunged into a residential neighborhood in Queens, N.Y., killing 265 people, including five on the ground.
On Jan. 8, 2003, an Air Midwest commuter plane crashed on takeoff at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, killing all 21 aboard.
Last December, a seaplane operated by Chalk's Ocean Airways crashed off Miami Beach when its right wing separated from the fuselage shortly after takeoff, killing the 18 passengers and two crew members. That plane, a Grumman G-73 Turbo Mallard, was built in 1947 and modified significantly in 1979.
The NTSB's last record of a CRJ crash was on November 21, 2004, when a China Eastern-Yunnan Airlines Bombardier crashed shortly after takeoff. The 6 crew members and 47 passengers on the CRJ-200 were killed, and there were two fatalities on the ground.
Comair has posted phone numer 1-800-801-0088 for family members or friends seeking information regarding passengers on Flight #5191.
Details on this incident are developing.

Jbb
08-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Very sad ....Complacency has no place in aviation...

SmokinLowriderSS
08-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Geezz,,,, runway 40 degrees off, nobody looked at the compass. yes, crew complacency just got 50+ people killed. Damn sad shame. Shouldn't have happened.

MrsJetDriver
08-27-2006, 02:39 PM
My son and I were sitting in an airport terminal this morning when this news broke. It was hard enough for me to get on the plane, that almost made it impossible.... :(

BajaMike
08-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Isn't it amazing, there has not been a major airline crash since Nov, 2001???
Think about that....air travel, even with all the BS going on about terrorism, has got to be the safest way to travel!!!

RitcheyRch
08-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Pretty amazing.
Isn't it amazing, there has not been a major airline crash since Nov, 2001???
Think about that....air travel, even with all the BS going on about terrorism, has got to be the safest way to travel!!!

mickeyfinn
08-27-2006, 05:04 PM
What is really sad is that fear of an uneducated jury is going to result in an overly large settlement to the families. Those on the plane who have incomes large enough to justify big dollars probably carry life insurance. Those who don't should get a realistic one. Hard stance to take, but making the victims families rich doesn't bring them back and could put a serious hurt on an already troubled industry. Any punitive damages should be put towards compass reading or some other training requirements. You just can't avoid all accidents.....We keep trying to make things idiot proof and then we make better idiots.

gsb_77_xl
08-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Sad news indeed. Mickeyfinn I want to use part of your post as a sig If its ok with you. Shoot me a PM if you dont want me to and Ill remove it.

SMFRiverRat
08-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Very sad ....Complacency has no place in aviation...
Either does crew fatigue. There are a lot of crews out there with less than 8 hours in a hotel room, let alone 8 hours of (minimum rest) sleep. But it's legal so the companies get away with it.
God Bess all on board.

Kachina26
08-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Either does crew fatigue. There are a lot of crews out there with less than 8 hours in a hotel room, let alone 8 hours of (minimum rest) sleep. But it's legal so the companies get away with it.
God Bess all on board.
Same goes for the guys running trains loaded with hazmats and all that good stuff. By the time the van gets you to the hotel, you grab a shower and a bite, maybe unwind a tad, you've burnt 1.5 hours of your 8. Then figure they call you 1.5 hours ahead of your next train, you might get 5 hours sleep tops!

SnakeWrench
08-27-2006, 08:02 PM
What is really sad is that fear of an uneducated jury is going to result in an overly large settlement to the families. Those on the plane who have incomes large enough to justify big dollars probably carry life insurance. Those who don't should get a realistic one. Hard stance to take, but making the victims families rich doesn't bring them back and could put a serious hurt on an already troubled industry. Any punitive damages should be put towards compass reading or some other training requirements. You just can't avoid all accidents.....We keep trying to make things idiot proof and then we make better idiots.
As a pilot, I see a bunch of mistakes here. If the controller gave someone an approval to depart runway 22 and the pilot only answered with "Roger" The controller at that point should have called the pilot on not repeating instructions, Or should have paid close attention to the said aircraft to make sure he was carrying out the instructions exactly as the controller stated. The pilot is supposed to repeat the instructions so the controller knows that the flight crew has them down pat.
In the end, the ultimate responsability is in the pilots hands, BUT, the airport itself is the controllers and the failure to "Control" will become an issue in the future.
Human error is the cause 90% of the time in aircraft accidents, that is why there are redundant systems in place, to keep errors like this to a minimum.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of all the victims, and the one survivor.

ratso
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
As a pilot, I see a bunch of mistakes here. If the controller gave someone an approval to depart runway 22 and the pilot only answered with "Roger" The controller at that point should have called the pilot on not repeating instructions, Or should have paid close attention to the said aircraft to make sure he was carrying out the instructions exactly as the controller stated. The pilot is supposed to repeat the instructions so the controller knows that the flight crew has them down pat.
In the end, the ultimate responsability is in the pilots hands, BUT, the airport itself is the controllers and the failure to "Control" will become an issue in the future.
Human error is the cause 90% of the time in aircraft accidents, that is why there are redundant systems in place, to keep errors like this to a minimum.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of all the victims, and the one survivor.
...maybe the controller was on a coffee break.

skygod73
08-27-2006, 10:40 PM
God Bess all on board.
This is a HUGE problem in commercial aviation. Somehow the idiots at the FAA decided it's safe for us to operate aircraft while on duty for 16 hours, rest for 8 and do it again. My average duty day is 12-14 hours. Our union ALPA did a study showing most of they Pilots surveyed rountinely operate aircraft while feeling fatigued at some point during their bid cycles. Yet the FAA does nothing. If fatigue is a factor in the accident, hopefully these tragic deaths will help change the rules to make aviation safer. It's a credit to all Professional Pilots that we do not see more accidents resulting from fatigue. I'm off my soapbox now.

VanDeano
08-27-2006, 10:48 PM
My son and I were sitting in an airport terminal this morning when this news broke. It was hard enough for me to get on the plane, that almost made it impossible.... :(
If anything I would of been more relaxed. Have you ever heard of 2 commercial planes crashing the same day? Just a thought.

ratso
08-28-2006, 05:30 AM
If anything I would of been more relaxed. Have you ever heard of 2 commercial planes crashing the same day? Just a thought.
9/11

Jbb
08-28-2006, 05:49 AM
This is a HUGE problem in commercial aviation. Somehow the idiots at the FAA decided it's safe for us to operate aircraft while on duty for 16 hours, rest for 8 and do it again. My average duty day is 12-14 hours. Our union ALPA did a study showing most of they Pilots surveyed rountinely operate aircraft while feeling fatigued at some point during their bid cycles. Yet the FAA does nothing. If fatigue is a factor in the accident, hopefully these tragic deaths will help change the rules to make aviation safer. It's a credit to all Professional Pilots that we do not see more accidents resulting from fatigue. I'm off my soapbox now.
Keyword from your statement ...."professional".....a professtonal pilot does not blast off down the wrong runway......tired or not....Not saying you're chosen profession does not have it's issues.......but we all know where the utimate responsibility for the safety of the souls on board....the equipment lies

mandshumphries
08-28-2006, 06:46 AM
There were 3 pilots in that cockpit.

Jbb
08-28-2006, 06:50 AM
There were 3 pilots in that cockpit.
I could be wrong....but I believe that equipment uses ...2 pilots.....1 Flight Attendant...

cjordan
08-28-2006, 09:51 AM
very unfortunate and almost surely will be put entirely on the pilots....The Pilot(s) In Command have the ultimate authority to accept or reject a controllers instructions. As a Private Pilot I have rejected instructions from controllers a few times that I thought were wrong or would put me and my aircraft in danger....The controllers are human and make mistakes just like we all do. In pilot training 101 you verify the runway and heading before taking off...in this case being 40 degrees off your "expected" heading (in a sophisticated jet at that) should have been sounding alarm bells in the pilots minds.....they didn't even have to look at a compass.
A friend of my dads is a 747 Sr. Captain for UPS and regularlly makes his "newer" Co-pilots hand fly ILS approached in IMC conditions....he has told me many times how amazed he is at how "rusty" some of these guys get coming from newer generation planes that will essentially do all their work for them. UPS flys the older -100 and -200 models without the "glass" cockpits some of those get so used to.

MrsJetDriver
08-28-2006, 10:24 AM
You know, someone sitting in the same area said the exact same thing. Still didn't make me feel any better..... you never know...

mandshumphries
08-28-2006, 10:40 AM
The third pilot was in the jump seat.

rrrr
08-28-2006, 10:40 AM
How many times did your instructor tell you to check the compass heading before you roll........and all us kinda thought "Oh bruther".....
A tragic mistake......

cjordan
08-28-2006, 11:09 AM
How many times did your instructor tell you to check the compass heading before you roll........and all us kinda thought "Oh bruther".....
A tragic mistake......
Yours truely.....one thing I have caught by doing a simple runway reference check though was a DG and an HSI failing before take-off. (Insturments didn't agree with runway and then not to compass for the ultimate check, and that was after setting them on run-up) No biggie in my case because I was going VFR those days....but would've grounded me if heading out IFR...