PDA

View Full Version : Hot Boat Article ?

VD CRUISER
01-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Any body see the informative article on "changing gears" ? I didn't know I should take my V-drive out of the boat to change gears. Also how many of you guys run the "Big" gear on the bottom ?

coolchange
01-13-2006, 06:02 PM
HAHA, seen that before! Guy said his boat didin't "seem right". Went for a ride and thought "maybe?" Sure enough, big gear on the bottom.

superdave013
01-13-2006, 06:15 PM
I have not seen it but I hear the bearing puller is pretty pimp. ;)

VD CRUISER
01-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Yea Dave , good work on the bearing puller, you'll probably have to build another couple thousand of them now. Actually I'm pleased they had an article on V-drives instead of jets. :boxed:

Sangerboy
01-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Also how many of you guys run the "Big" gear on the bottom ?
You mean on purpose? :rolleyes: :redface:

schiada96
01-14-2006, 07:39 AM
You mean on purpose? :rolleyes: :redface:
If you put the big one on top it sure works wonders for engine life.
Hi Greg

Sangerboy
01-14-2006, 07:44 AM
If you put the big one on top it sure works wonders for engine life.
Hi Greg
Hey Jeff, send me your new address, and check your pm's. Greg

superdave013
01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Ok, I just read it. lol
that bearing puller is nothing new. casalle has made those for as long as the quick change v drive has been around. I just flipped the jaws over and cut an extra set on the back side. I guess that means I knocked it off. Shame on me.
I wish I knew they were writing it as the way to do it is leave the v drive in the boat. Put a trash bag under it (from the front) and drop the trailer tongue as low as ya can. crack open the case like they show and all the oil runs right in the bag. No need to remove the drive side case from the mounting plate. Might want to keep an eye on the bolts because the outter ones are fine thread and the ones on the bearing caps are course. Don't forget about the 2 long ones in the center of the cases either.
I donno about that 0.020" of gear lash either but I'll let the experts fill in that part. All I'll say about that is don't F it up because you don't want 12 pounds of gears blowing up that close to your nuts.

olbiezer
01-18-2006, 08:29 PM
All I'll say about that is don't F it up because you don't want 12 pounds of gears blowing up that close to your nuts.
damn dave....u have a way with words lol

GofastRacer
01-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I donno about that 0.020" of gear lash either but I'll let the experts fill in that part. All I'll say about that is don't F it up because you don't want 12 pounds of gears blowing up that close to your nuts.
Well I didn't see that article but it must have been good for a laugh, but .020 backlash is way out of line, .008-.010 max is all that's required!..

Cole Man II
01-18-2006, 09:31 PM
What do you use to measure the gear lash, and where do you take the measurement from (exactly)?
If the gear lash needs to be adjusted where can you get the shims.
Any help.

GofastRacer
01-19-2006, 06:42 AM
What do you use to measure the gear lash, and where do you take the measurement from (exactly)?
If the gear lash needs to be adjusted where can you get the shims.
Any help.
If you don't have the feel for lash then you need to use a dial indicator!.... Lash is controlled by the bottom inner spacer thickness(never seen shims for that)moving the gear back or forward loosens or tightens the lash. For every .005(added or removed)from the spacer is good for .001 lash, but whatever you do to the inner spacer, you have to do the opposite to the outer one to keep the bearing in the same place!.... Hope this helps!...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/217_backlash.jpg

beaverfab
01-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Art those are nice looking shafts. Wander who made them? :rollside:

Cole Man II
01-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Gofastracer,
First off, thank you for your reply.
So the lash is the movement between the gears, or amount of slop. And this can be measured with the dial indicator.
And to adjust the amount of lash you move the lower gear back or forward via the spacers.
So if I know the size of my existing spacers, and the amount of lash I have, I could call my V-Drive guy and order new spacers for my new gears.
Does this sound right?

GofastRacer
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Gofastracer,
First off, thank you for your reply.
So the lash is the movement between the gears, or amount of slop. And this can be measured with the dial indicator.
And to adjust the amount of lash you move the lower gear back or forward via the spacers.
So if I know the size of my existing spacers, and the amount of lash I have, I could call my V-Drive guy and order new spacers for my new gears.
Does this sound right?
Your welcome!...
That is correct, when you check your new gears for lash and if it needs to be corrected, give him the lash you have and the thickness of both spacers and he should be able to set you up, you may not need to change anything though!..

GofastRacer
01-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Art those are nice looking shafts. Wander who made them? :rollside:
I think it was some dude in Texas I do believe!.. :D :D

Rexone
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
I haven't read the article but was advised there's some marginal advice given there specifically on the gear lash and possibly other areas.
Just to clarify, Rex Marine had nothing to do with the writing of the article. They showcased our (SD's) puller in the beginning (which I appreciate, thank you ***boateditor), but that was the extent of our involvement.
I will read through it as soon as time permits.

Schiada76
01-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Art,
Call Hot Boat. Tell you'll write a couple of v-drive tech ARTicles so they can get it right. :D

superdave013
01-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Art,
Call Hot Boat. Tell you'll write a couple of v-drive tech ARTicles so they can get it right. :D
Art did a very nice how to over at AZ Don's site.

Schiada76
01-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Art did a very nice how to over at AZ Don's site.
Printed that, it's in one of my tool boxs :D .

GofastRacer
01-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Wow, is that article in HB that bad??.. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: