PDA

View Full Version : Outbound Cargo Ship Hits Vincent Thomas Bridge

RitcheyRch
08-27-2006, 07:55 PM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_239214638.html
An outbound cargo ship hit the Vincent Thomas Bridge Sunday, causing authorities to close the span to traffic while it was inspected for damage.
The ship hit the bridge around 4:45 p.m., said Los Angeles Police Department Officer Mike Lopez.
The bridge was closed at 5:30 p.m., said CHP officer Vince Ramirez.
"Some damage has been found" on the bridge, Ramirez said.
A Caltrans crew was inspecting the bridge.
A multi-vehicle crash occurred on the bridge just Saturday.

3 daytona`s
08-27-2006, 08:34 PM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_239214638.html
An outbound cargo ship hit the Vincent Thomas Bridge Sunday, causing authorities to close the span to traffic while it was inspected for damage.
The ship hit the bridge around 4:45 p.m., said Los Angeles Police Department Officer Mike Lopez.
The bridge was closed at 5:30 p.m., said CHP officer Vince Ramirez.
"Some damage has been found" on the bridge, Ramirez said.
A Caltrans crew was inspecting the bridge.
A multi-vehicle crash occurred on the bridge just Saturday. RitcheyRch news.com I quit watching tv -- I can get complete news coverage here and not waste time on the TV. Good JOB :)

RitcheyRch
08-27-2006, 08:37 PM
LMAO.....glad could be of service :)
RitcheyRch news.com I quit watching tv -- I can get complete news coverage here and not waste time on the TV. Good JOB :)

djunkie
08-27-2006, 08:41 PM
No wonder traffic was so backed up when I was going to work tonight. Lucky I didn't have to go over the bridge today

Kilrtoy
08-27-2006, 08:43 PM
No wonder traffic was so backed up when I was going to work tonight. Lucky I didn't have to go over the bridge today
I heard you were piloting the boat

JetBoatRich
08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
must not have seen it :rolleyes:
how do you miss that bridge :rolleyes:

squirt'nmyload
08-27-2006, 08:58 PM
RitcheyRch news.com I quit watching tv -- I can get complete news coverage here and not waste time on the TV. Good JOB :)
how bout service for phoenix???? lmao

RitcheyRch
08-27-2006, 09:00 PM
LMAO...maybe when I move there in a few years. :)
how bout service for phoenix???? lmao

djunkie
08-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I heard you were piloting the boat
I load and unload them. I don't drive them. :crossx: :crossx:

djunkie
08-27-2006, 09:03 PM
must not have seen it :rolleyes:
how do you miss that bridge :rolleyes:
Have you seen the size of the ships that go under that thing? Most of the time they have to delay the ships until the tide goes down

HavasuSelect
08-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I load and unload them. I don't drive them. :crossx: :crossx:
When's the last time a container fell off?

djunkie
08-27-2006, 09:06 PM
When's the last time a container fell off?
Fell off at sea, or while its at Port?

HavasuSelect
08-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Port.

JetBoatRich
08-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Have you seen the size of the ships that go under that thing? Most of the time they have to delay the ships until the tide goes down
worked in the area for 14 years :rolleyes: from Wilmington to San Pedro, never seen a ship hit the bridge :rolleyes:

djunkie
08-27-2006, 09:12 PM
worked in the area for 14 years :rolleyes: from Wilmington to San Pedro, never seen a ship hit the bridge :rolleyes:
Me either. But I guess theres a first for everything.

djunkie
08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Port.
Its happens from time to time. I don't know when the last one fell. I have been on a couple jobs when it has happened though. 1 time a stack of 5 containers fell off into the water. I saw one get knocked off the ship onto the dock one time too. The worst I saw was a few months ago a hatch cover slid off the ship onto the dock. That was freaky.

HavasuSelect
08-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Its happens from time to time. I don't know when the last one fell. I have been on a couple jobs when it has happened though. 1 time a stack of 5 containers fell off into the water. I saw one get knocked off the ship onto the dock one time too. The worst I saw was a few months ago a hatch cover slid off the ship onto the dock. That was freaky.
Man, that's some wild stuff. I remember I heard one fall off onto the dock a couple years back. It sounded like a sonic boom through the whole town.

djunkie
08-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Man, that's some wild stuff. I remember I heard one fall off onto the dock a couple years back. It sounded like a sonic boom through the whole town.
When they take those big hatch covers off the ship and set them on the dock behind the cranes it shakes the ground pretty good. Just imagine one sliding off the ship and banging around on the crane legs before finally hitting the dock. Lets just say that it freaked out quite a few people. I was out in the yard and didn't see it. But I sure felt it.

HavasuSelect
08-27-2006, 09:30 PM
When they take those big hatch covers off the ship and set them on the dock behind the cranes it shakes the ground pretty good. Just imagine one sliding off the ship and banging around on the crane legs before finally hitting the dock. Lets just say that it freaked out quite a few people. I was out in the yard and didn't see it. But I sure felt it.
Thats quite a drop. I hope nobody got hurt. There's a reason why you guys get paid so well. It's a dangerous job. Any idea of when applications are coming out again. I didn't put in last time but I had a bunch of friends get in cause their parents gave them apps.

djunkie
08-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Thats quite a drop. I hope nobody got hurt. There's a reason why you guys get paid so well. It's a dangerous job. Any idea of when applications are coming out again. I didn't put in last time but I had a bunch of friends get in cause their parents gave them apps.
They had 7 cranes working on that ship at once and no one got hurt thank God.
As for the apps........gonna be a lllooonnnggggg time I think. I got in during the hiring back in 1997. They gave out I think 13,000 apps then. This is the first hiring since and they only selected around 18,000 I think. But yes the ones they gave to union members and casuals were a gaurantee to be drawn.