PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system install???

Ironman
08-28-2006, 05:04 AM
New to the board here and have a new jet boat project. I've bought a new crate motor for my boat and need to know what exactly needs to be done to run in fresh water. Do I need a sea water pump? regular water pump? Don't want to make any mistakes and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

fujimo
08-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Do a search for cooling systems.There's a been alot of threads on this, or post this in just jets where there is alot more traffic. most jets take the water from the pump to the front of the engine and then out the thermostat housing to the exhaust if you have thru transom log exhaust. roy

Ironman
08-30-2006, 06:39 PM
I've got the water manifolds and thru transom exhaust. I was just wondering do people hook a sea pump to the pump water supply or is the pressure from the pump good enough to feed the system?

SmokinLowriderSS
08-31-2006, 02:41 AM
There is way more water pressure from the jet pump than needed to feed the engine cooling system. This is why there is a controll valve back at the pump. Don't ever run it wide open, it kills intake (and sometimes head) gaskets and fills the engine up with water. No circulation pump required.
The pump is plumbed to a "T" fitting.
The "T" fitting is plumbed to the 2 lower or inboard fittings on the front of the logs manifolds.
The other fitting on the manifolds is plumbed to the front of the engine where the water pump belongs. 2 small fittings on a BB Chevy, a cover plate on a Ford or Olds.
The thermostat housing is the exit which is plumbed to the "snails" exhaust risers (on the bottom) at the back, just before your outlets in the transom.
Headers (water jacketed) are different, and simpler.
Water INJECTED headers are different, and more complicated.
The site I had bookmarked isn't coming up online currently which had good diagrams. They are laying arround here on other threads about this too.

centerhill condor
08-31-2006, 11:43 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17198&stc=1
this is for through transom pipes...OT are a bit more/less complicated depending on your perspective. I run/recommend a pressure relief valve off the pump as the cooling water source. good luck..crate motor sounds fun!
CC

Roaddogg 4040
08-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Good picture, I think that will help a lot of people... Would love to know how to draw those types of dealeos...
Steve

GofastRacer
08-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Would love to know how to draw those types of dealeos...
Steve
Hey Steve, just have a 12 pack be surprised what you can draw, LOL... :D

Ironman
08-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks, appreciate the good info. :rollside:

67weimann
08-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey Steve, just have a 12 pack be surprised what you can draw, LOL... :D
at least you'll think you can draw some good sh!t. As long as it looks good to you, who cares... :crossx:

GofastRacer
08-31-2006, 07:43 PM
at least you'll think you can draw some good sh!t. As long as it looks good to you, who cares... :crossx:
Yeah no shit huh, LMAO!.. :D

centerhill condor
09-01-2006, 03:46 AM
glad to help! I lifted this pic several months ago and get to put it up regularly..have a good one!