PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a problem?

Snowboat
10-13-2001, 12:32 PM
I can never get my v drive to get above 130 degrees, after a run. Most of the time she runs about 100 degrees. The sender is in the intake manifold. The feel of the block tells me the guage is fairly accurate. There is .010" clearance with forged blower pistons. Is this too cold and will it cause damage? Thanks.

DANS66STEVENS
10-13-2001, 11:26 PM
I would say you want to run 160 to 180. I run no thermostat at all and my temp is 160.Will it hurt the motor? Your motor is tolerenced to run 180 by running it colder you may cause damage. I know I woudn't take a car that was at 130 deg. and run it real hard. Why don't you just ad a 160 thermostat?

LeE ss13
10-14-2001, 07:18 AM
To quote a MotorCraft service bulletin, " ..at 100 degree oil temperature, engine wear is 8 times greater". Oil is designed to lubricate hot. It you've ever pulled the head off a six cylinder that has been running without the thermostat for many miles, the front cylinders have the most taper (wear) because that's where the cold water hits first. Heat it up.
------
LeE ss13

Snowboat
10-14-2001, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the replies Larry and Dan. Larry, I have used your advice several times in the past with success. Dan, I don't have a spot for a thermostat in the blower manifold. Larry, the hoses go into the front of the blower manifold on each side. The snout is in the way. How do I heat it up, put in some kind of thermostatically operated bypass on the outlet? There will be ice on the lake in four weeks. Thanks, Ken.

DANS66STEVENS
10-16-2001, 01:58 PM
Well I have seen a thermostat that goes inline on a Model A Ford. The only thing is im not sure what tempeture it runs at. It just slides inside the hose.
You could always add a ball valve on the water supply line after the pump. I wonder if your gauge is wacky? You running in ICE CUBES???? Where you from? You will also make more horsepower with a higher temp.

Bluefin
10-22-2001, 06:15 PM
Hey Snowboat, My temp stays around 130 degrees unless I run it wide open for a while then shut it down. Then it gets upto 200 or so. I was checking the timing one time while standing on the cav. plate and the hot water from the motor hit me on both ankles. Let me tell you the water was well above 130 degrees. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif I know what a scalded cat feels like. Mike

ratman
10-22-2001, 06:41 PM
at one time i thought i had a problem with my temperature at a 130 degrees. i have a cam driven water pump(v drive setup). i installed a thermostat in my tunnel ram manafold. the back pressure ruined the impeller in the water pump. neovain or kuhl water pumps do not like back pressure. water temperature between 130 and 200 degrees on your motor wont hurt it a bit.

superdave013
10-22-2001, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by ratman:
at one time i thought i had a problem with my temperature at a 130 degrees. i have a cam driven water pump(v drive setup). i installed a thermostat in my tunnel ram manafold. the back pressure ruined the impeller in the water pump. neovain or kuhl water pumps do not like back pressure. water temperature between 130 and 200 degrees on your motor wont hurt it a bit.
You did not use the correct kind of t-stat. The ones for marine use have a bypass so your pump will never be dead headed. The kits that Rex or Eddie marine sell work killer. My boat did not have one but I will be putting one on soon.

Snowboat
10-23-2001, 07:30 AM
Dans66stevens. I run in Northeast Wyoming, V drive capital of the world. Anyhoo, I thought I would post a reply that came back to me from the Az don site. Larry said that he runs his engine cooling off of one pump outlet and the the other one goes to dump. This sounds best if you don't have, or want, a thermostat. Plus, I can restict the engine side and open the other side up. If I can make heat in the engine on Wed or Thurs, I'll let you all know. Snowboat

PipesClean
10-23-2001, 03:39 PM
Hey Snowboat, I grew up spending my summers up there, where do you run at?.....DeSmitt???

Snowboat
10-23-2001, 05:05 PM
Lake Desmet is too cold and rough. We keep a fifth wheel at Keyhole. When I get my noise down to 87 db, 90' off the exhaust outlet, I'll go back to Tongue River in Montana. Noise Cops are very strict there. With big flowmasters on I can almost get there. Gonna try slip in's with the flowmasters and maybe I can get down that low. It would help if I could get the idle down but 1,000 rpm, in gear, is as low as I can get it.

Bluefin
10-24-2001, 03:52 PM
Hey Snowboat, You mentioned running Flowmaster mufflers. What Flowmaster muffler are you using. Do you have Bassetts? Is there any trouble running water through them? Mike

Snowboat
10-24-2001, 05:50 PM
The idea to use Flowmasters came from Le ss13. They are double ugly and ruin the lines of beautiful boats. However, they have their place. I figure that the lakes of the nation will eventually be ruled by trolling motors. They are 4" flowmaster 40 series with 45 degree extensions, canted towards the centerline of the wake. There is a 3/16" hole drilled in the low point of the muffler so the residual water can drain out. Four stainless steel band muffler clamps are used to clamp the mufflers to the headers and the extensions to the mufflers. Then I made a saddle and used long worm drive clamps to hold the mufflers to that. There are two pieces of 3/8 all thread, using coupling nuts, as the nuts for the band clamps, that tie the two muffs together, so they don't wobble on the trailer going down the road. This may not have been necessary but I overkill everything. A 3/8 rod, welded to the saddle and welded on the other end to a split collar, which captures a fabbed bronze bushing, which goes around the cav control rod. This gave me a db of 93 at 1,300 rpm, with a cammed up supercharged 460 Chevy on the trailer with a hose. The meter was held one meter from the outlet at 90'. I intend to try the Bassett slip in's, in conjunction with the Flowmasters to see if I can comply with the Montana noise cops. Wyoming has no laws. Further research in the next few days. Bear in mind this is ugly but may be necessary for Boatcops.

126driver
10-24-2001, 06:49 PM
Hey Snowboat,
I agree with the looks of the mufflers. They're butt-ugly. Had to run them a few times back in the day at Long Beach Marine Stadium too.
Check out this link: http://www.wannaberacing.com/boat.html
I'm acquainted with this guy somewhat, never seen the mufflers in person, but he says they look ok and work good. I have no idea what they are, (he says FLowmasters?) but maybe you can drop him a line.
Scott