View Full Version : Tahoe Labor day

sleekcraft78
08-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Buddies and I are talking about going. He has a Flatbottom that he wants to take. Would it be safe? I heard there are some pretty big swells up there.

bubbletop409
08-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Tahoe can be great, or it can be an ocean. All depends on the wind and weather. A low freeboard flatbottom with no splash shield around the stern could be scary on a rough day, especially if you are far from your trailer. Also very limited docking facilities, most boats are bouy moored when not in use. Launch fees are a little steep also, average around 30 for a round trip, and gas on the water is $ 4.50 + for regular unleaded. All that being said, we just spent a week in the Tahoe Keys, in a 3 bedroom condo and had a great time, lake was fairly calm the whole time, and weather was great. If the wind does come up, the Cali side is usually better, due to wind direction. Snug Harbor has a great beach and launch ramp, Beacon has good food, drinks, and music, Tahoe City has courtesy bouy mooring, and many shops and places to eat, Emerald Bay is beautiful, and the waterfall above the Viking home was flowing like I have never seen before. Have fun and be cautious if you take that flatty.

sleekcraft78
08-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Sounds like we may leave that one home. I've heard it's a beautiful lake. Our cabin is in Markleeville, so we'll stay there. It's only about a 40min ride. Thanks for the info.

Poker Runs West
08-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Join in the photo shoot we are doing Sunday Sept. 3 if you like. Look for the thread here.