PDA

View Full Version : any help this mon am ?

bergen
08-28-2006, 09:43 AM
im having problems with chargeing system, my old alternator was bad,
so i changed it with some advice i got in here, i went to napa auto parts and got a alternator and the plug kit so i was changeing to a 1 wire deal, i got the part #'s from an old thread in here, took off old alt and put on new one
pluged in new plug kit and wired it straight 2 battery, no go, no out put from alternator went back to napa got another alternator and plug kit installed alternator plugged in 1 wire deal wired it straight to battery same thing no out put from alternator, have ford 460 engine any one know what i am doing wrong, thanks for the help, these are the napa part #'s for alternator and plug kit
213-4011 alternator
20-01-9030 plug kit

Oldsquirt
08-28-2006, 10:26 AM
How are you judging that it isn't charging? If you are using the ammeter on your dash, then the problem is that you connected alternator output to the battery. With an ammeter, you need to have the output connected to the same point as the standard alternator. This is because the ammeter is a "series" device. In order to show charging output, the output MUST run through it BEFORE going back to the battery. If you have a voltmeter in the dash, then you CAN run the output straight to a B+ connection point(best choice being the starter solenoid).
Something else to remember, one-wire alternators typically need to turn to about 1500 rpm before they "turn-on".

460 jus getn it
08-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I have seen that those wire kits dont work worth a fock. Go to autozone and get the on wire alt. DL7140M, i have my wire from the alt running to the wire block and from there one wire going to the battery.

abraman1326
08-28-2006, 10:47 AM
When I was at Napa Auto a couple weeks ago, they told me that the 1 wire conversion didn't work on the 460's. Thank you for posting the part #'s. I'll take those back down to them and have them order it up for me. If I may ask, what did you spend on the set up? My Alternator is shot as well...
BRA

bergen
08-28-2006, 11:37 AM
How are you judging that it isn't charging? If you are using the ammeter on your dash, then the problem is that you connected alternator output to the battery. With an ammeter, you need to have the output connected to the same point as the standard alternator. This is because the ammeter is a "series" device. In order to show charging output, the output MUST run through it BEFORE going back to the battery. If you have a voltmeter in the dash, then you CAN run the output straight to a B+ connection point(best choice being the starter solenoid).
Something else to remember, one-wire alternators typically need to turn to about 1500 rpm before they "turn-on".
hello old squirt, i do have a volt meter in the dash, when i got the info on here j/j i thought it was explained that i could just plug and go, so i went from plug kit straight to battery, had a freind check with meter with boat running and battery fully charged, only get 12 volts even when rev up engine,
hell i even had him put his meter on just the 1 wire from new alt shows no out put, i am stumped. thanks bergen

bergen
08-28-2006, 11:42 AM
When I was at Napa Auto a couple weeks ago, they told me that the 1 wire conversion didn't work on the 460's. Thank you for posting the part #'s. I'll take those back down to them and have them order it up for me. If I may ask, what did you spend on the set up? My Alternator is shot as well...
BRA
the alternator and the plug kit was under 70 bucks, but dont ask me if it works because i am the last person on this planet to give electrical advice,
bergen

abraman1326
08-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I was actually a little pissed b/c I had seen on here Napa had the conversion kit, but the dim whit in the store said that there wasn't one for the 460. Thanks again...
BRA

bergen
08-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the info. I was actually a little pissed b/c I had seen on here Napa had the conversion kit, but the dim whit in the store said that there wasn't one for the 460. Thanks again...
BRA
i don't think i have mine dialed in yet so don't hold me to it if you try this and it dont work, the alternator did bolt right up, but as far as wiring it i think i'm in the de da dee club, bergen

BRAWNY
08-28-2006, 02:29 PM
hey bergen--having the same alt. as you,i've experienced the same problem
(not charging)on the trailer for a quick start,put the boat in the water,start the motor and stab the throttle once and all is good(charging).
it just needs to be energized. good luck brawny

abraman1326
08-29-2006, 09:41 AM
I have a single wire on there now, so I'd imagine it would be a lot easier beings I am not changing anything...
BRA

Oldsquirt
08-29-2006, 10:02 AM
.....hell i even had him put his meter on just the 1 wire from new alt shows no out put, i am stumped. thanks bergen
Did he get any voltage reading at this point? Should read battery voltage with engine off and charging voltage when running. If he had no voltage reading(zero volts), then there is an open between the alt and battery.