PDA

View Full Version : What makes a circle boat?

CP Dad
08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Just a dumb question by a v-drive newbie, all my experience is in the jet boat world. I'd love to change gears and take on a flat bottom project. I though about buying a cole, canyon, hondo, or one of those and restore it but I must say, I was impressed as hell at Phoenix when the circle's came out. What is the diff in hull/drive/etc between a circle and a conventional flat or runner bottom? I can only assume that a flat in drag set up probably doesn't like to turn very well. We have a place near the water in Needles and it seems a circle boat would be alot of fun and probably handle the water alot better than a conventional flat bottom. I have no desire to kill myself in 120+ mph hot rod at the river, but going 80 or 90 and then turning and coming out of it at the same speed seems like fun. Any help and or pics between the differece would be great. Also, anybody know if the cole cash boat sold?

mouzer
08-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Was;nt sold last week when he inquired about my circle boat!give me your email and i will send pics of the SS63 !!

CP Dad
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Mouzer, I think I met you in Long Beach. Nice boat, but I can't do a black boat. At least not at the river........... I'm sure somebody will snag it though.

mouzer
08-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Not a problem,not pushing the selling thang! had the trailer painted and i am picking up new tires and chrome rims and the engine is now black instead of dull orange. looking alot cleaner! it comes out in the boattrader thurs. but like i said now i dont want to really sell it. im dying to run over to elsinore city ramp and cruise it around on the mid week glass but im off again pending back surgery.(workmans comp) could be lurking w/camara! i could take the pain but they might not understand! :cry:

Moose
08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
I just got off the phone with Barret and the Cole Cash boat is still for sale.
Very nice boat and a steal for what he's asking!.
Moose

lucky
08-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I just got off the phone with Barret and the Cole Cash boat is still for sale.
Very nice boat and a steal for what he's asking!.
Moose
bingo -- that is a nice boat

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Not a problem,not pushing the selling thang! had the trailer painted and i am picking up new tires and chrome rims and the engine is now black instead of dull orange. looking alot cleaner! it comes out in the boattrader thurs. but like i said now i dont want to really sell it. im dying to run over to elsinore city ramp and cruise it around on the mid week glass but im off again pending back surgery.(workmans comp) could be lurking w/camara! i could take the pain but they might not understand! :cry:
Let me know when Mouzer, I'll hot lap it for ya! :cool:

mouzer
08-28-2006, 12:11 PM
id let ya too!

wsuwrhr
08-28-2006, 12:12 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63Dscf0020-med.jpg
Someone is sniffing out mouzer trying to sell his circleboat aready.
Brian

wsuwrhr
08-28-2006, 12:13 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63Tonyairedout.jpg

mouzer
08-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Mouzer, I think I met you in Long Beach. Nice boat, but I can't do a black boat. At least not at the river........... I'm sure somebody will snag it though.excuse my rudeness! i do remember talking to ya at longbeach! it was nice meeting you!!!!

mbrown2
08-28-2006, 02:29 PM
So what's diff between a circle racer and flattie? Looks to be COG differences, bottom, seat placement?

Wildchild80
08-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Just a dumb question by a v-drive newbie, all my experience is in the jet boat world. I'd love to change gears and take on a flat bottom project. I though about buying a cole, canyon, hondo, or one of those and restore it but I must say, I was impressed as hell at Phoenix when the circle's came out. What is the diff in hull/drive/etc between a circle and a conventional flat or runner bottom? I can only assume that a flat in drag set up probably doesn't like to turn very well. We have a place near the water in Needles and it seems a circle boat would be alot of fun and probably handle the water alot better than a conventional flat bottom. I have no desire to kill myself in 120+ mph hot rod at the river, but going 80 or 90 and then turning and coming out of it at the same speed seems like fun. Any help and or pics between the differece would be great. Also, anybody know if the cole cash boat sold?
There is a boat out of chicago comlpete with or without engine and he will deliver it to California if you want I believe he is asking 10k no engine delivered. PM mefor more detail

gnRacer98
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
So what's diff between a circle racer and flattie? Looks to be COG differences, bottom, seat placement?
Circle racer = true flatbottom with bottom sculpting for enhanced performance.
Drag racer = air entrapment bottom (IE: runner bottom) to "fly" straight for maximum speed.
For pleasure use the circle racer would likely be more adaptable, but please for your safety and those around you don't try to imitate what you see on a race course on a public waterway.

wfoflat
08-28-2006, 03:52 PM
does anyone know how to get in contact with the owner of cole cash . I pm him and no reply.

NUTHIN
09-03-2006, 06:38 AM
its still in my garage..
waiting for someone to buy it!!

LeE ss13
09-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Circle racer = true flatbottom with bottom sculpting for enhanced performance.
Drag racer = air entrapment bottom (IE: runner bottom) to "fly" straight for maximum speed.
For pleasure use the circle racer would likely be more adaptable, but please for your safety and those around you don't try to imitate what you see on a race course on a public waterway.
For a more detailed description of what the bottom of an SS, PS, or K Runabout can and can not be, check out pages 34 thru 37 of the APBA 2006 Inboard Rules are under Rule 49, Inboard Runabout Classes. It is a .pdf file.
APBA 2006 Inboard Rules (http://www.goboatracing.net/downloads/inboard%208.5%20x%2011.pdf#search=%22APBA%202006%2 0Inboard%20Rules%22)

Moneypitt
09-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Don't forget the seat is different. Kinda wraps around the hips, and there is an indentation in the bottom to hold the huge sacks those drivers have!!!!!MP

CircleJerk
09-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Don't forget the seat is different. Kinda wraps around the hips, and there is an indentation in the bottom to hold the huge sacks those drivers have!!!!!MP
Mines soiled also.....but I wont sell like Mouzer cause he's scared!

lilrick
09-04-2006, 08:01 AM
I would imagine that a circle boat would need to be a heavier lay-up to take the abuse. I believe the hardware may be a little different as far as the cav plate adjustments and motor placement. There has not been a very technical feed back from the "racers" on this subject. I'm starting to believe that there are some phonies on this Farkin' site!!

dmontzsta
09-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Circle Boats are usually driven off the front of the motor, with a RH prop, in order to take advantage of the engine torque/rotation. They also have drop thru hardware (turn fins, strut). They also use a trailing edge rudder. The hulls are different than your average ski flat and/or runnerbottom.

DUCKY
09-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I think a shorter list would be what are the similarities!
They are both flat bottom type boats of approx the same size with similar engines and parts, but that's about it.
The bottom design is the first major difference followed by the motor, v-drive and strut placement, strut angle, fin design and location, rudder differences, and the engine and shaft rotation, not to mention the strategic placement of support in a circle boat that you won't find in a drag boat.
It's very true that a circle boat make a much better "lake flat" than a drag boat.
I think my brother still has the SS-33 boat up for sale with or without motor. He goes by Serious Issues Racing here on the boards.

fc-pilot
09-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Here is some info of the SS-33
SS-33 (http://www.wannaberacing.net/wyou.html)
Paul

CP Dad
09-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the info guys. That 33 boat looks sweet. I might just hold off a little because of a new construction project at the river (Needles). I've been footing hot boats for a while (since I was about 15), so I know not to get in the seat of circle boat and run a course through the skiers and jet skis on Memorial Day weekend. I wish all the other knuckle heads out there did........ Our place is in Needles and we prefer mid week when we're usually the only boat on the water. Like I said, all of my seat time has been in a jet so it would be a huge learning curve anyway. I love the looks of the CC boat, but that's a bit much motor for learning the handling of a flattie. Oh, and don't any of you say, "You don't have to put the throttle all the way on the floor!" We all know that's BS, by the end of the day I'd be crackin it open just like all of us!!!!!!!!!! I would love to get the boat and send the motor to another project so I could start out with a nice little 468 or something. Anybody lookin for a power plant?????

Norseman
09-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys. That 33 boat looks sweet. I might just hold off a little because of a new construction project at the river (Needles). I've been footing hot boats for a while (since I was about 15), so I know not to get in the seat of circle boat and run a course through the skiers and jet skis on Memorial Day weekend. I wish all the other knuckle heads out there did........ Our place is in Needles and we prefer mid week when we're usually the only boat on the water. Like I said, all of my seat time has been in a jet so it would be a huge learning curve anyway. I love the looks of the CC boat, but that's a bit much motor for learning the handling of a flattie. Oh, and don't any of you say, "You don't have to put the throttle all the way on the floor!" We all know that's BS, by the end of the day I'd be crackin it open just like all of us!!!!!!!!!! I would love to get the boat and send the motor to another project so I could start out with a nice little 468 or something. Anybody lookin for a power plant?????
You could buy it, and put a small block in it, and run SE. I've been told it's a good way to get started in circle boats!! :)

dossangers
09-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Circle boats are the shiznit ALL OTHERS ARE FOR PUSSY'S!lol&LMAO!!! We will be down tearing up NEEDLES SOON!! :rollside: :boxed: :rollside: :boxed:

CircleJerk
09-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Hi Wayne, well, I would somewhat agree, but use other words not so blunt! It has been the biggest rush in my lifetime! Hey, did you get my fingerprints off your cav hardware? sorry about the bubble gum, it was too big to swallow!

dossangers
09-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi Wayne, well, I would somewhat agree, but use other words not so blunt! It has been the biggest rush in my lifetime! Hey, did you get my fingerprints off your cav hardware? sorry about the bubble gum, it was too big to swallow!I was gonna use DRAGFAG!!LOL!

CP Dad
09-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Dossangers, where do you guys stay in Needles? I know there are quite a few of you circle guys that go to Needles Marina and I'd love to come down and watch the show. We're a little ways up river just past Sofa King's. There is some great water between us and Needles. It's great to see some of the real river hot rods coming to the river and not just a bunch of real estate loan brokers that have never been in a boat that signed the paper work on their 35 ft offshore boat that they insist on running at the river.