PDA

View Full Version : Safe Boating Lesson - the hard way

LHC30Victory
01-13-2006, 04:13 PM
This guy has no sense, no lifejackets (that fit him) and no kill switch:
What an IDIOT!
Coast Guard: Missing boater found clinging to buoy
A 59-year-old man whose boat arrived in Catalina with no one aboard was found clinging to a buoy about a mile from the Port of Los Angeles.
According to a Coast Guard, Craig McCabe was found by boaters aboard a pleasure craft.
McCabe told rescuers he fell overboard off Palos Verdes and swam to the buoy outside the Port of Los Angeles.
McCabe's body temperature was reportedly 90 degrees when he arrived at St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach.
The water temperature was about 58 degrees.
McCabe fell overboard and tried to grab a little dinghy the boat was towing, but was unsuccessful.
He was then able to grab hold of some drift wood and held onto until coming close to the buoy.
Five boats, four from the county's Baywatch and one from the Coast Guard, searched a large area from mid-channel between Catalina and the mainland, and off the coast between Marina del Rey and Palos Verdes.
A Coast Guard C-130 and three helicopters were also used in the search from the air.

DeltaSigBoater
01-13-2006, 04:17 PM
When did this happen?

Ziggy
01-13-2006, 04:27 PM
I saw it on the news yesterday, the boat ran aground on Catalina, made it all the way accross w/o him.

JetBoatRich
01-13-2006, 04:29 PM
I saw it on the news yesterday, the boat ran aground on Catalina, made it all the way accross w/o him.
need to train the boat better :rolleyes: should have turned around and picked him up :cry:

MudPumper
01-13-2006, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=LHC30Victory]This guy has no sense, no lifejackets (that fit him) and no kill switch:
What an IDIOT!
The guy was on a yacht. Don't know anybody that wears a life jacket and a kill switch while cruising on their yacht.

Riverkid
01-13-2006, 05:15 PM
It was a 65'er. Ran aground on the island. Once the guy fell overboard (he was back on the swimstep fooling with the dinghy tow line) the autopilot kept it on course. It just didn't throttle back... :p

Infomaniac
01-13-2006, 05:24 PM
need to train the boat better :rolleyes: should have turned around and picked him up :cry:
He was prolly too cold to whistle for it to turn around.

Infomaniac
01-13-2006, 05:25 PM
He should have taken some sweeties with him so he didnt have to fool around with his dingy. DUH !!

superdave013
01-13-2006, 05:27 PM
[B][SIZE=3]
Five boats, four from the county's Baywatch and one from the Coast Guard, searched a large area from mid-channel between Catalina and the mainland, and off the coast between Marina del Rey and Palos Verdes.
A Coast Guard C-130 and three helicopters were also used in the search from the air.
I wonder how much his bill for all of that is going to be?

Riverkid
01-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Huge.
Way more than salvage/repairs to the yacht.

LHC30Victory
01-13-2006, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=LHC30Victory]This guy has no sense, no lifejackets (that fit him) and no kill switch:
What an IDIOT!
The guy was on a yacht. Don't know anybody that wears a life jacket and a kill switch while cruising on their yacht.
Well, when you are alone on a moving vessel fooling around in a area where you MAY fall overboard, I think it would be appropriate...Of course that is hindsight now isn't it :rolleyes:

LUVNLIFE
01-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Good thing that it hit the island. That should be a good lesson not to go out like that by yourself.

LHC30Victory
01-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Turns out the East Coast boaters have these "Lanyard" issues as well:
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 13, 2006
The Coast Guard was searching this evening for an Atlantis developer who vanished from his boat on his way home from the Bahamas.
James Trindade, 54, was reported missing Thursday night after friends journeying home with him in separate boats realized he never made it back to Palm Beach County.
The U.S. Coast Guard launched a search and discovered Trindade's 38-foot Donzi early Friday morning circling in the water 38 miles east of St. Lucie County. No one was on board.
A salvage crew took the boat to the Coast Guard's Fort Pierce station. Search crews continued scouring the waters Friday afternoon and evening, according to a Coast Guard spokeswoman.
"We're still out there searching," Coast Guard Petty Officer Gretchen Eddy said. "Right now we're still hoping to find him."

LHC30Victory
01-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Just read a follow up. The Coast Guard thinks that there was a problem with one of the O/b's and he was tinkering with it and fell overboard.....Just speculation I guess..
and don't pirates take the boat????

LHC30Victory
01-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Maybe after they took it, pirates got them.
No Kidding? Boy that east coast is getting to be more dangerous than running a jet ski in the Desert Storm Poker Run :rolleyes:

LHC30Victory
01-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Isn't that like almost all west coast deaths are from.... Nah, I won't say it. I will probably piss someone off I dont intend to.
I would much rather know when I do it.