PDA

View Full Version : Jelly Fish vs Jet...Who wins?

jrork
08-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Hmmm, Got a question.
Was out in the salt this weekend (I know, I know), and was ripping thru what Budlight called the speed alley. Running at a nice clip around 56OO following a 38' Fountain.
I noticed as we entered the alley it was full of jelly fish......Frickin things were EVERYWHERE!
So,
1. Does the presence of something that has a consistency somewhat firmer than water (but not by much) add or reduce the amount of thrust a jet can provide?
2. Given that the 38' Fountain was spinning twin big blocks, which did a better job of blending the jelly fish? This is a variation of the classic Prop vs. Jet discussion that I'm not sure anyone else has asked. I know, you can thank me later.
Now someone brighter than me would have watched the tach to see if there was a noticeble change in rpms, but I'm afraid I did not. So, I pose these questions to the all knowing here on the board........
John (aka, Food Processor Pilot)

DMOORE
08-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Having spent Many years in the SEAL teams and running both prop and jets in in jellyfish "infested" waters, I have never seen a boat develop a problem due to them. Never a difference in speed, nor any problems with cooling. Now kelp, thats a whole different story.
Darrell.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-29-2006, 03:03 AM
The jet wins over the 2x BB prop from cool factor. "Airborne Jelly-fish Cloud" roost!! :) :) :)

1978 Rogers
08-29-2006, 06:14 AM
"Airborne Jelly-fish Cloud" roost!! :) :) :)
You are correct. The flesh substance of a jelly fish is slightly lighter than water causing more hang time on the roost.

LAFD
08-29-2006, 07:43 AM
The jet wins over the 2x BB prop from cool factor. "Airborne Jelly-fish Cloud" roost!! :) :) :)
that would be fricken awesome. stupid jelly fish.

Legal Chemistry
08-29-2006, 08:37 AM
You shouldn't have any problem... I've sucked MANY up and spit 'em right back out. Also depending are where you are -they more than likely won't sting.

spectratoad
08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Should have had some peanut butter to go with your jelly fish. :)

Legal Chemistry
08-29-2006, 11:12 AM
okay, now you kow what we're talking about... This is what we normally get here on the lower west coast. Moon Jellies. I remember as kids swimming in the harbours grabbing/crushing/ and throwing these at buddies. BTW, these don't sting
http://www.bipster.net/hawaii/images/26-jellyfish.jpg

Gayleen
08-29-2006, 11:33 AM
John,
Too bad you don't have a real pump with a diverter. (Sorry John, I could help it.) That would have been really cool.
I saw a piece of bark fly about a foot above the roast, that was cool.

DMOORE
08-29-2006, 11:40 AM
When you hit someone in the face with one, it looks like snot.
Darrell.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-29-2006, 01:33 PM
When you hit someone in the face with one, it looks like snot.
Darrell.
Now THAT is worthless without pix. :cry: :cry: :cry:

jrork
08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
I am so proud that this thread has provided nothing but worthless information. Exactly what I was hoping for, no drama, just bull$hit.... :D
The jelly fish in the pics are the same we have here. No sting, nasty, slimy and great fun to throw at your friends.
Wish it wasn't the end of the day when I came across them. Would have been fun to play around in there and seen what I could come up with..

jrork
08-29-2006, 05:29 PM
John,
Too bad you don't have a real pump with a diverter. (Sorry John, I could help it.) That would have been really cool.
I saw a piece of bark fly about a foot above the roast, that was cool.
Gayleen, I may bring one and run it thru your blender on Sunday. See how your squigies taste then....... :yuk:

SmokinLowriderSS
08-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Hmmm, Got a question.
2. Given that the 38' Fountain was spinning twin big blocks, which did a better job of blending the jelly fish? This is a variation of the classic Prop vs. Jet discussion that I'm not sure anyone else has asked. I know, you can thank me later.
John (aka, Food Processor Pilot)
(with a particularly nasal accent ..............reminiscent of Cool Hand Luke)
What we had here ...... was the difference between ............... a Vegomatic (it slices, it dices, it makes THOUSNDS of julienne fries (whatever the he11 a "julienne" fry is)) ..... and a blender, set on Frape'! :idea:
The props would slice and chop nicely, but between the top loader, the impeller, and the bowl vanes, you get a nice, smooth, even, "jelly-shake", airborne, fire-hose, "jelly-shake". :p :rollside: :rollside:

jrork
08-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Solid point Smoke but let me first say that while I am a jet guy, I can certainly see the value in counter rotating props of a twin and the blending ability that they would provide.
Now, the key I guess is for me to find out if the Fountain had props that rotate towards the center of the boat or rotate away from the center.
I recall that there is a bit of a science to which boats run what but if they're rotating towards the center even you can see the quality of the blending they would accomplish.
Still, the thought of a nice roost of frappe'd jelly fish does paint a nice picture (so to speak).

jrork
08-29-2006, 08:03 PM
I hear tell they add about 23 mph's to the top speed buy I'd imagine it depends on what flavor they were.....yeah I know........ :yuk:
Jeez......where's the damn GPS. I could have snapped a picture showing the big numbers speed wise and posted my boat for sale on Ebay.
I can see it now.
"78 Brendella for sale. Way too fast for me. Racing engine with roller pushrods and racing aluminum valves. GPS'd a 1bazillion mph. Serious racers only inquire about this machine. Reserve set at $39,453"
Damn it..... I could have been rich

SmokinLowriderSS
08-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Jeez......where's the damn GPS. I could have snapped a picture showing the big numbers speed wise and posted my boat for sale on Ebay.
I can see it now.
"78 Brendella for sale. Way too fast for me. Racing engine with roller pushrods and racing aluminum valves. GPS'd a 1bazillion mph. Serious racers only inquire about this machine. Reserve set at $39,453"
Damn it..... I could have been rich
Hey, I think I saw that very add on e-bay some time back .... sure looks familiar. You didn't buy it did ya??? :p

jrork
08-30-2006, 05:34 AM
No, but I did bid on it......you price aluminum valves lately?

Pops@Aggressor
08-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Don't Ski Behind this One. it could HURT!

Wicked Performance Boats
08-31-2006, 04:07 PM
John, Sorry it took so long to respond, my computer was down. Clear or white jellyfish[moon jellies] increase speed by 10%, yellow ones 20%, and red ones 28 1/2%! I believe a jet pump which draws off the bottom 6 feet down will purifiy more, but dual beaters will chop them finer! BL

SmokinLowriderSS
08-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Clear or white jellyfish[moon jellies] increase speed by 10%, yellow ones 20%, and red ones 28 1/2%! I believe a jet pump which draws off the bottom 6 feet down will purifiy more, but dual beaters will chop them finer! BL
Damn Wicked, that's great. :cool: Who says there isn't a ton of highly valuable information on squirt-boats here! :crossx:

Wicked Performance Boats
08-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Damn Wicked, that's great. :cool: Who says there isn't a ton of highly valuable information on squirt-boats here! :crossx:
:D

jrork
08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
John, Sorry it took so long to respond, my computer was down. Clear or white jellyfish[moon jellies] increase speed by 10%, yellow ones 20%, and red ones 28 1/2%! I believe a jet pump which draws off the bottom 6 feet down will purifiy more, but dual beaters will chop them finer! BL
Crap! Between the performance adding characteristics of Jellys and the increased bouyancy of the Salt Water, I bet I was running enough numbers to show you highblingingbighittin go fast boys from down south a thing or two. Hell, I might have been able to crack 60mph!

Wicked Performance Boats
08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
You smoke crack at 60mph!!!! Damm yer good. BL

Wicked Performance Boats
08-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Don't forget that the air at sea level is the best. And you can't get any closer that that! BL

jrork
08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
You smoke crack at 60mph!!!! Damm yer good. BL
That hurts. That really hurts Pat.....how could you say such a thing?

jrork
08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Dble Crap! How could I forget the air. Natural supercharging at it's best.
62?

Wicked Performance Boats
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
That hurts. That really hurts Pat.....how could you say such a thing?
Did I say smoking crack? I meant your smokin butt crack! BL

Wicked Performance Boats
09-01-2006, 04:43 AM
this just makes me want to run out and find some jellyfish to see what it looks like in person:crossx::crossx:
Go west young man! { The Pacific ocean } BL

jrork
09-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Did I say smoking crack? I meant your smokin butt crack! BL
Okay, that's better.........thanks

Harley5229
09-13-2006, 05:33 PM
John you should have brought some of these jellyfish for show and tell at Alder Labor Day...maybe we could have thrown them all at eachother lakeside!!!!

malcolm
09-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that could've been fun. ;)

Harley5229
09-13-2006, 06:00 PM
John this is oh so simple to explain...let me try...
If the jellyfish are expelling with the jet at a rate faster than the increase of jellyfish by the prop, then the law of jellyfish osmosis would assume The force per unit area required to prevent the movement of jellyfish from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration would create a jellyfish rooster of greater proportion in the jet than the prop. So you win.
what's so hard to understand????:rollside::confused:

malcolm
09-13-2006, 07:21 PM
:jawdrop:

SmokinLowriderSS
09-14-2006, 02:40 AM
John this is oh so simple to explain...let me try...
If the jellyfish are expelling with the jet at a rate faster than the increase of jellyfish by the prop, then the law of jellyfish osmosis would assume The force per unit area required to prevent the movement of jellyfish from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration would create a jellyfish rooster of greater proportion in the jet than the prop. So you win.
what's so hard to understand????:rollside::confused:
Yep, that pretty much summs it up in a nutshell. :)
I think. :idea: :confused: :confused:
:D

bighead
09-14-2006, 07:47 AM
What about chunks of the jellyfish getting passed into the cooling system of the boat and possibly cooking inside and causing blockage??? I wonder what they taste like........

SmokinLowriderSS
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
What about chunks of the jellyfish getting passed into the cooling system of the boat and possibly cooking inside and causing blockage??? I wonder what they taste like........
Hmmmmmmmmm.......
Could one, install some temporary strainer baskets, over the exhaust outlets, to catch/strain the cooked jellyfish, for the beach dinner later on? :idea: Would they go better with Tortilla chips, Scoops corn chips, or Ruffles? :idea:

Wicked Performance Boats
09-14-2006, 06:18 PM
A bowl of them with beach sand for texture and to fight that slippery side down the throat like a lugee. BL :yuk:

SmokinLowriderSS
09-14-2006, 06:23 PM
So they don't stiffen up like eggs when poached or parboiled eh? Hmmmmmm Was hoping they would ..... :yuk:

Wicked Performance Boats
09-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Naw it's like stringy water. BL

bighead
09-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Man would it be great to be in some jellyfish infested waters where lake lice were dangerously close wake crossing and shoot a nice jellyfish roost all over them, especially the stinging type. I like riding them and have no prob with the responsible riders, just the unsafe idiots.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Yep. The dangerous idiots piss us all off. :mad: :mad:
I don't mind the decent ones.
ARE THERE decently inteligent PWC-ers, or did they all buy boats? :crossx:

Wicked Performance Boats
09-15-2006, 02:47 PM
ARE THERE decently inteligent PWC-ers, or did they all buy boats? Yep, the ones that tow us in when we breakdown!!! BL

rivertard
09-16-2006, 05:18 PM
A bowl of them with beach sand for texture and to fight that slippery side down the throat like a lugee. BL :yuk:JUST ADD PEANUT BUTTER,AND BEER.(rivertard).Its all good. :rollside:

BOOGEYMAN
09-16-2006, 10:05 PM
http://pagentsprogress.com/?p=319
Check out these jelly fish!!!

SmokinLowriderSS
09-17-2006, 02:55 PM
DAMN! You could hit onme of those and wind up airborne! :2purples:

BOOGEYMAN
09-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Thats what I was thinking!!!! That jelly fish would probly win the fight with a jet boat. LOL

ULTRA26 # 1
09-17-2006, 05:28 PM
That was funny, What a sight!

jrork
09-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Jezus! I can't believe this cornball post of mine is still going. Got to admit the visual some of you guys have painted is pretty f***ing funny.
As far as Rivertards suggestion, doesn't everything taste good with peanut butter and beer? I'm pretty sure you'd have all the major food groups covered.....

SmokinLowriderSS
09-18-2006, 03:07 AM
Would the better "match" tho be the Creamy or the Chunky? Jiff or Skippy. Preference?

CARLSON-JET
09-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Jrork, I used to live right next to the Illahee dock back around 82-83. (North side) There were certain times of the year that the 3"-4" jellies would be breading(?) or something. Anyways, the sheer amount of them was a sight to see. 10's of thousands as far as the eye could see. So that being said, at certain times the small squids 6"-8" long would also run and they were just as thick. I wonder how those would look getting shot out the back of a good roost? A little more gristle involved compared to the jellies. and then all that black ink.. would probably look like kool-aid LOL. And yes, This is a hillarious thread. R.B.

jrork
09-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Jrork, I used to live right next to the Illahee dock back around 82-83. (North side) There were certain times of the year that the 3"-4" jellies would be breading(?) or something. Anyways, the sheer amount of them was a sight to see. 10's of thousands as far as the eye could see. So that being said, at certain times the small squids 6"-8" long would also run and they were just as thick. I wonder how those would look getting shot out the back of a good roost? A little more gristle involved compared to the jellies. and then all that black ink.. would probably look like kool-aid LOL. And yes, This is a hillarious thread. R.B.
Hey! I know exactly where you use to live. Nice area. I thought squids only came out in the evening? All my years on the salt I've never seen one though I know lots of folks that go to the Illahee dock at night for squid'n.
Where ya hanging your hat now days?

Wicked Performance Boats
09-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Hey! I know exactly where you use to live. Nice area. I thought squids only came out in the evening? All my years on the salt I've never seen one though I know lots of folks that go to the Illahee dock at night for squid'n.
Where ya hanging your hat now days?
I think I hit a few parties at that house!!! course it was years ago. Budlight

jrork
09-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I remember you there Pat! You had that kickass mullett..... :rollside:

CARLSON-JET
09-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Somebody had a few parties there before we moved in. :220v: In 2 years I still don't think I got rid of all the beer cans from Mt. Bud.
I honestly don't remember what time those darn squid surfaced but it was a freaky sight.
Most folks don't believe me when I tell them my backyard was an underwater national park. It would have been really cool to have something other then a Valco with a 15 Horse to cruise around in. Pops wouldn't let me use his boat after a minor mis-hap at the launch down the road. I must have flipped the pawl on the winch getting to happy. :cry: Those were some good times...

Wicked Performance Boats
09-23-2006, 06:30 AM
I remember you there Pat! You had that kickass mullett..... :rollside:
Thanks John, I used to have all those cool haircuts! Now I'm stuck with a grey and white flattop. Oh well, at least I still got most my hair!! Budlight