PDA

View Full Version : Partial Succuss (I think)

77CobraJet455
08-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Being new to jet boats this last year has been a learning experience. Also the fact that I am still in college and have very little time to get the boat on the water much less work on it right now. Anyway now that I have turned the oil to milkshake every time out (4) and replaced the blown intake gasket and put a pressure regulator in the water intake line. This last time out I got the water turned down to the engine (idle temp 210, running temp 170) and to the headers. Results: the oil level never rose but the oil turned to a very mild brownish color. I am desperately hoping that this is due to not being able to get all of the previously contaminated oil out of the pan. Is that a legitimate possibility or am I still looking at a potential problem to solve. And does anybody have a better way of draining the oil than running the drain line out the drain hole of the boat?
Just a note that this is an Olds 455, with a 9 quart oil pan, medium to hot build on the engine, and the proper oiling modifications were made.

V1800J
08-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Yes, there was probaly alot of sludge left in the block. You should drain that oil, change the filter and run it again. If the problem is fixed the oil should look better. Being that the end of boating season is getting near, you want to get all the moisure out of the block (the oil should look normal)so it doesn't rust during the off season.
Draining the oil is a pain. I personally don't have a great way to do it.

V1800J
08-29-2006, 08:00 AM
I was also wondering if you have a pressure gauge mounted on the block and if so what was the pressure getting up to.
P.S. also use thread sealer on your head and intake bolts.

Taylorman
08-29-2006, 08:18 AM
P.S. also use thread sealer on your head and intake bolts.
Just curious as to the purpose of this? 455 head bolt don't go into the water jackets.

V1800J
08-29-2006, 09:03 AM
BRAIN FART!!! Haven't worked on a OLDS for 2 or 3 seasons now.

77CobraJet455
08-29-2006, 10:29 AM
No I dont have a pressure gauge mounted on the block. I do now have the pressure regulator (bypass) valve set to 17lbs. I will defiantly be getting the boat back on the water for Labor Day weekend. And yes I do hope that the oil cleans up this time around. If for some reason it doesn’t, is there some way to at least partially flush the contaminated oil out, maybe with diesel??

Taylorman
08-29-2006, 10:41 AM
I have heard of people filling the oil pan with diesel and running for a short time to flush out the sludge. Never did it my self.

El Prosecutor
08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
. . .does anybody have a better way of draining the oil than running the drain line out the drain hole of the boat?
I have one of these:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252drain_kit.jpg
But if you don't like those go to the Salvation Army and buy a small used Shop-Vac. I used one out of necessity before I got the pigtail dealie and it actually worked great.
Like on many boats my drain plug is so hard to reach that the hose deal is worth it just so I don't have to go through the contortions required to reach the drain plug any more. There was less than one inch between the original plug and the bottom of the bilge.

R.A.D.man
08-29-2006, 01:26 PM
On my Olds, I have the bypass regulator set so that my peak water pressure in the block is 15psi. Since I did that, no more milkshake. While underway, I am usually around 6 psi at 3500 RPM. It is at full throttle where the pressure spikes. Set the gauge up so you or a passenger can see it while underway and test/set it from there. Good chance you just did not get all the water out with one oil change. I have a puke tank on my setup also, you would be suprised at how much condensation moisture can get in there too. It collects in the puke tank and at first I thought it was just too much water, could be 6 ounces in a day if the boat sat for a while. Running at full temp for a long time will help vaporize it out too. Good luck.

ERV JR
08-29-2006, 01:30 PM
You Can Fill The Motor With Diesel Then Drain It And Repeat It A Few Times,if U Have An Oil Pumo Primer U Can Use It To Run The Diesel Through The Motor Then Drain,then Fill With Oil Prime It And Drain It,then Fill It Up And See How She Works

SmokinLowriderSS
08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
I have one of these:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252drain_kit.jpg
But if you don't like those go to the Salvation Army and buy a small used Shop-Vac. I used one out of necessity before I got the pigtail dealie and it actually worked great.
Like on many boats my drain plug is so hard to reach that the hose deal is worth it just so I don't have to go through the contortions required to reach the drain plug any more. There was less than one inch between the original plug and the bottom of the bilge.
Those drain hoses are the best thing in the boat world, right next to divertors. I am forever glad my Taylor came with one installed.
I think the oil should clean up now that the water problem is settled. I would use an oil rinse treatment tho personally, even tho I also have heard of folks using diesel as a "running-rinse". Something you would put in perhaps just before you drive it tha 1/2 mile or so to the trailer, and than drain hot once you get home.