PDA

View Full Version : For pickup truck cargo, when is a red flag needed?

H20 Party Starter
08-29-2006, 07:42 PM
If you have a long board/pipe/whatever in the bed of your truck sticking out what is the rule for length before a red flag is required?? I can't find any vehicle code that referances it.
Does it matter if the tailgate is open or closed, and then is the measurement taken from the tip of the tailgate down, or the rear bumper or rear lights???
I say anything under 36" past your tailgate up is ok....36" over+ needs a red flag. I've heard 18" but I wanted to hear it from an officer or read the code myself. :rollside:

Throttle
08-29-2006, 07:47 PM
I thought it was 18"

Wet Dream
08-29-2006, 07:47 PM
18" is the rule. I believe its from the natural structure of the body, not the bumper or tailgate in the down position.

ratso
08-29-2006, 07:48 PM
I tie a flag on anything extending past the tailgate.

Sotally Tober
08-29-2006, 07:48 PM
I thought it was 48", but what do I know? So if you do have a flag how long can you go?

YeLLowBoaT
08-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I think its after 18, but you can't have it stick out longer then 36. I always put a flag on it unless it sticks out less then 6"s.

squirt'nmyload
08-29-2006, 07:50 PM
i've always attached one on even if it sticks out a bit...better to be safe with all these idiot drivers that don't pay attention, and then would probably sue you if they got hurt and you didn't have one

uvindex
08-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Section 24604. "Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square."

Tom Brown
08-29-2006, 07:51 PM
... or tie it to the door handle when the cab of the truck is 'in use'.

Kilrtoy
08-29-2006, 07:52 PM
I would answer that question , But since im not 830.1PC, im not trained or qualified to answer it .. :boxed:

Cheap Thrills
08-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Section 24604. "Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square."
This is correct 4' .. but seeing how stupid most class C drivers are I would flag anything that hangs out past the tailgate. :D
C.T. :wink:

ratso
08-29-2006, 07:56 PM
... or tie it to the door handle when the cab of the truck is 'in use'.
lmao... :D
Seriously though... I've run into 2X4's or what have you walking around a truck, and they probably weren't much more than a foot or two sticking out.
I get so freakin' mad at my guys around here sometime... they'll take a cherry picker (engine hoist) and get through using it and leave it out in the middle of the floor about eye level... I got a couple bumps on the head from that too...

uvindex
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
I would flag anything that hangs out past the tailgate. :D
C.T. :wink:I'm with you. Just posted that 'cause the original poster wanted to read the code for himself. :)

Wet Dream
08-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I read the same thing, but that pertains to commercial vehicles more than pickup trucks, especially where it states:
Per CVC Section 35410, the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase. The wheelbase of a semitrailer shall be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer.

uvindex
08-29-2006, 08:10 PM
I read the same thing, but that pertains to commercial vehicles more than pickup trucks, especially where it states:
Per CVC Section 35410, the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase. The wheelbase of a semitrailer shall be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer.I'm not following you. :) 24604 says, "Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends..." so why do you think it does not apply to pickup trucks? :)

Cheap Thrills
08-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Per CVC Section 35410, the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase. The wheelbase of a semitrailer shall be considered as the distance between the rearmost axle of the towing vehicle and the rearmost axle of the semitrailer.
I'm not following you. :) 24604 says, "Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends..." so why do you think it does not apply to pickup trucks? :)
These are two different regs. the first 35410 is the MAXIMUM ammount allowed to extend beyond the vehicle. as noted in the words Shall not extend beyond....
The second 24604 is the minimum ammount of overhang which will require a visible marker.

RitcheyRch
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Better safe than sorry

H20 Party Starter
08-29-2006, 08:24 PM
idiot drivers that don't pay attention, and then would probably sue you if they got hurt and you didn't have one[/QUOTE]
DING DING DING WINNER!!!!!!
except my truck was parked, pole extending 36" over closed tail gate, asian dude ON A BICYCLE took himself out (7 stitches). My straight trailer hitch sticks out 18" by itself, my drop hitch 12" He said "the sun was in my eyes"
I haven't been sued yet, but I got an "Attorney's info request" form from the DMV, so obviously he did that to get my name and run a credit report to find out I'm not worth suing.
It happened on private property, no police report, no pictures. I say **** the lawyer bring it on, and 'm going to counter-sue for the dent in my tailgate :crossx:

YeLLowBoaT
08-29-2006, 08:29 PM
I hope you have documentation of all this... pics of the pipe, your tail gate....

Moneypitt
08-29-2006, 08:42 PM
It happened on private property, no police report, no pictures. I say **** the lawyer bring it on, and 'm going to counter-sue for the dent in my tailgate :crossx:[/QUOTE]
Was it in a driveway with the piece sticking over the sidewalk, or a parking lot? Or you own driveway NOT sticking over the walk?..........Was he drunk??? Gee, he sure smelled like alcohol after it happened!!!!..........MP

H20 Party Starter
08-29-2006, 08:45 PM
I hope you have documentation of all this... pics of the pipe, your tail gate....
I could snap pics of some 1" pipe and my tailgate any day I'm in my gagage, my point was, there was NO pics taken when the accident occoured. There is no way to say that he even hit the poles and not my hitch or the bumper while falling.
Most Cabover campers extend 2' or more past the tailgate, all those hitch racks and motorcycle stands for trailer hitchs extend the cargo up to 48" past the taillights. If someone runs into any of those should the owner be liable?
My trucked was parked and I was in my house, this was nothing more than an accident and I hate Ambulance chasing lawyers.

H20 Party Starter
08-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Not near a sidewalk, it was in a row of parking for my complex, basically an alley with parking spaces on one side and garages on the other.
and Oh yes, strong odor of alcohol

Cheap Thrills
08-29-2006, 08:49 PM
If there wasn't an official report taken at the time of the accedent his case would be hard to prove.
I wouldn't sweat it. if the vehicle was on your property when the alleged accedent occured then he was trespassing and more than likely deserved what he got. F'uck em feed em fish heads and rice..

YeLLowBoaT
08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
I am sure he was not give permission to ride his bike on that property... have him arrested for tresspassing.

H20 Party Starter
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks Guys
have a good night :)

Kilrtoy
08-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Section 24604.
is the correct code, but lets not forget this does not negate the fact
24600 and 24603 still apply and lot of people forget this
That mean your tail lights during darkness must be clearly displayed and brake lamps at all times must be clearly visable

Hardly Satisfied
08-30-2006, 08:21 AM
get a larger thuck