PDA

View Full Version : Blown gas or alky which is

Blown 472
01-13-2006, 05:58 PM
harder on the engine?

Nucking futs
01-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Gas is cut and dry, Alky is alot more maitnence, but worth the extra power. You will burn twice as much too.

Blown 472
01-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Gas is cut and dry, Alky is alot more maitnence, but worth the extra power. You will burn twice as much too.
Like what kind of maint??

Infomaniac
01-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Gas is harder. It burns faster and hotter.

BUSBY
01-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Like what kind of maint??
More oil changes ... change it every trip ... and you'll have no problems ...
Also, you have to flush your fuel system out ... I drain everything and spray lines/barrel valve/shut off down w/ WD40 ...
It's worth it for the power increase you'll obtain IMO ... plus it's a lot easier to tune than gas.

VD CRUISER
01-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Was talking to a car guy two days ago and he mentioned a system where he could switch over to gas and run the motor for a while to flush the alcohol out of the system . Would that work? I'm sure it would be pretty fat, but would it run long enough to flush itself out ?

Infomaniac
01-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Yea it would work but it wont run for a while on the gas LOL
It will run momentarily and get so rich it will die or if you throttle it, it will spit spudder and black smoke up everything.
But it helps.

Morg
01-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Gas is harder. It burns faster and hotter.
Good point.
There is a certain alky burner that I have personaly seen run a whole season & not one oil change or flush out the fuel system.
I was at his shop & saw the oil & watched him flush the fuel system for the winter. The fittings & lines were clean, no gel no sugar
No bs

Blown 472
01-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the info every one.
Mind if we talk combos for a bit? I am looking at doing a 440 mopar, with iron heads, steel crank, alum rods, flat tappet cam with ductile rockers, 6:71 with a bird. 727 or glide behind it and looking to get into the 10's with a 3800 lb car.

Doin' Time
01-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Mind if we talk combos for a bit? I am looking at doing a 440 mopar, with iron heads, steel crank, alum rods, flat tappet cam with ductile rockers, 6:71 with a bird. 727 or glide behind it and looking to get into the 10's with a 3800 lb car.
anything blown and injected should easily run in the tens.....you should have no prob with power,now with traction,thats a different story!
try calling mopar engines west,1-510-797-9536 ask for dave or angie,they know a combo that will work!,,tell them rich bandy sent ya.

Infomaniac
01-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Good point.
There is a certain alky burner that I have personaly seen run a whole season & not one oil change or flush out the fuel system.
I was at his shop & saw the oil & watched him flush the fuel system for the winter. The fittings & lines were clean, no gel no sugar
No bs
Were you with me all season? LOL
I ran the same oil and did not flush mine. Did not get it going until early July but ran it the remainder of the season.
If I run the boat once or twice a week I dont bother flushing.
I will hit the shut off valve and let the carbs run out and WD-40 into the float needle seats. Only because they are dry and need a little help. Even when I had it injected I did not flush all the time and after 3 seasons there was no sign of alcohol damage.
Yea ran lube in the alcohol

steve d
01-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Were you with me all season? LOL
I ran the same oil and did not flush mine. Did not get it going until early July but ran it the remainder of the season.
If I run the boat once or twice a week I dont bother flushing.
I will hit the shut off valve and let the carbs run out and WD-40 into the float needle seats. Only because they are dry and need a little help. Even when I had it injected I did not flush all the time and after 3 seasons there was no sign of alcohol damage.
Yea ran lube in the alcohol
Was this for top end lube? We used to run what they called oil of murbain ---Bought it at the local speed fuel shop.--That was 35 years ago. Don't think they sell it anymore....Any synthetics out there?....Steve

Morg
01-14-2006, 09:21 AM
My new combo will be a mild blown alky.
Back to the original question, the alky is much more forgiving on the tune up. Which in turn helps heat issues.
I would think alky is softer on the top end of the motor.
My thinking would be the bottom end just cares about horse power & rpm for the amount of stress applied.

Morg
01-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Here is what Bob runs. http://www.lubricationdynamics.com/techfuel.html
It was found by accident.
There are sceptics. I have seen it first hand. It works

Fiat48
01-14-2006, 10:09 AM
You'll have to make about 720 hp to run 10.0's in a 3800 lb car. High 10's would take about 540 hp. Forget the glide as you'll need 3 gears for something this heavy.

Blown 472
01-14-2006, 02:38 PM
You'll have to make about 720 hp to run 10.0's in a 3800 lb car. High 10's would take about 540 hp. Forget the glide as you'll need 3 gears for something this heavy.
Cool beans that shouldn't be hard to do on alky as I was hitting the 600's with gas and carbs. I will run the 727 then too. Thanks for all the info yall.

steve d
01-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Here is what Bob runs. http://www.lubricationdynamics.com/techfuel.html
It was found by accident.
There are sceptics. I have seen it first hand. It works
Really interesting. Thanks----I'm very skeptical about "Marvel Mystery Oil"--gotta believe at this point in time there is some thing out there that is bullet proof...Steve