PDA

View Full Version : how hot is too hot

robsformula
08-30-2006, 07:02 AM
lost my impeller yesterday on my way out in the river. I noteced that the temp gauge went up to about 210. before I was able to shut it down. Only for about 20 seconds or so. When I was on my way back in (running on the other engine) I decided to start it up again. The engine temp was at 175 when I started it up. I shut it down right away because there was no water coming out. Pulled the impeller out and it was wasted. What temp is to much for an engine and for how long?

Dribble
08-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Keep it under 230 and it should be ok. 260 is where things can start to go bad. Remember when there is no water in the engine (or just steam vapor) The sensor is not going to register the correct temp because it's got nothing to measure, so don't just go by the gauge.

robsformula
08-30-2006, 07:12 AM
I have fresh water cooling also system also, but I did see steam vapor coming out when I shut it down. How could I tell if there is damage?

Dribble
08-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Replace the impeller. Make sure you get all of the pieces out of the water passages, then take it out and run it. You'll know if you did any damage but most likely you didn't.

Jbb
08-30-2006, 02:46 PM
210 is not hot...and in my worthless opinion will cause no damage.....the important thing to do is retrieve the impeller pieces ...

Screaming Pete
08-30-2006, 03:07 PM
becarefull running your motors dry even for a few seconds .......very easy to damage impellers