PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Help!

payloan
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
I just picked up an 8 week old Yellow Lab Last Sunday and although it's really cool looking the little sucker will not stop nipping, especially at my little ones. Does anyone know of a good way to stop this while he is still young? Does anyone know of any good puppy trainers here in the Orange Count area?

The Jerk
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
you have to catch them doing it. try this.
when you see it happen yell or in a firm voice say No so it startles them. let the little one pet the pup while holding the snout. good positive praise then give a treat. might take a while and be frustraighting but shoul get the ball rolling.

OGShocker
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
I just picked up an 8 week old Yellow Lab Last Sunday and although it's really cool looking the little sucker will not stop nipping, especially at my little ones. Does anyone know of a good way to stop this while he is still young? Does anyone know of any good puppy trainers here in the Orange Count area?
Google ROCKS!!!.. :D (http://www.laokay.com/DogTraining_oc.htm)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Bite back! :rollside:

lewiville
08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
my sister in-law has raised several dogs in her life time. When she would get a new dog, one of the things she would do if the dog was doing something like "nipping" she would use a spray bottle to spray it in the snout. Its cools because its instant and you can shoot from the hip :rollside:
Remeber not to use your wipe down solution :)

spectratoad
08-30-2006, 12:57 PM
good positive praise then give a treat.
Just be careful because if after a few times they don't get a treat they will eat the kids.
I have always found though that a shovel across the head will cure nipping at the kids. :p Just kidding
The firm voice when you catch them should do the trick as well as having the kids pet them. Right now it is all about the puppy play and he probably doesn't realize he is biting. :) If that doesn't work refer to the above. :220v:

copterzach
08-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Rub his nose in it and tell him NO!

squirt'nmyload
08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
shock collar???

reDECKulous
08-30-2006, 03:18 PM
bear trap?

Bradman
08-30-2006, 03:20 PM
my sister in-law has raised several dogs in her life time. When she would get a new dog, one of the things she would do if the dog was doing something like "nipping" she would use a spray bottle to spray it in the snout. Its cools because its instant and you can shoot from the hip :rollside:
My sister also did the spray bottle trick, and to my suprise it worked. She would put that spray bottle on her table and those dogs would run for cover.

MrsSigEpMock
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
You can try grabbing his snount and rolling his upper lip under his upper K-9 fange and lightly pressing it so that he is essentially bitting his upper lip. only until he whines a little.
Also, let him know you are the ALPHA, do as they would - lay on the floor with him lower/under you, pinning him, and growl at him. give him the stink eye. and say NO BITING in a very intimidating way. he'll get the point that you do the disciplining around the house. - Chris still has to do this to our 3.5yo yellow male when he starts acting like a jacka$$. (no comments please :p )
The lip thing is good in public because you can make a physical impression on him, with out offending any animal lovers. it's suttle and doesn't hurt the dog, but gets the point accross.

OCMerrill
08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Puppies bite. This is how they learn what stuff is and how far to push it with others. Say no, grab scruff, spray bottles work good, can with pennies (rattle can) can be used.
Being the leader of your small kids is also the instinctual goal. Dominant puppy deal.
Seriously though an 8 week old lab (I have raised several over the years and currently have a 11 mo old up from 7 weeks) is a bumbling ball of nothing thoughts.
Just be patient and this will calm down. Puppy teeth are sharp making it worse.

ms_kitty007
08-30-2006, 08:07 PM
When I have an animal that bites, be it cat OR dog, I've found that flicking them on the nose or snout really does break them. Although the spray bottle does work, you don't always have a bottle handy, and by the time you get it and spray the lil bugger, they have NO IDEA what they are being punished for (just like peeing on the floor - you have to catch them in the act and rub their nose in it), but your flicking fingers are right there!!! If he bites, scruff him and flick him in the nose or snout while saying no firmly. He will eventually associate his biting a person with pain for him.
I've used this on dogs with great success, to where all I have to do is out the fingers in the flicking position when they do bad and they stop right then. I recently used this technique on my purebreed Bengal kitten (they're always a lil on the wild side and she wasn't raised right - she bit A LOT and it hurt like a sumbitch) and while it took a lot of repetition, she learned and is now a very sweet kitten that hardly ever bites hard.
It's just a suggestion, but it does work well. Don't go overboard either - there can be too much flicking!!!

ahhell
08-30-2006, 08:13 PM
My father in law uses the shock collar, the dog used to run off having the time of his life chasing rabbits, squirrels whatever...he'd call the dogs name 2 times and on the 3rd time hit the switch and BAM the dog was at his feet. now all he has to do is call the dog once. :cool:
Same thing with my chocolate female lab...loves to bark, call hewr name and shes done barking after a couple hits of the magic collar, dont put it on high , just enuf to let them know that you are in control
and thats my .02 :rollside:

slowinhavasuskid
08-30-2006, 08:44 PM
We tried this with my Jack Russel and she likes it???? I think she is psyco(sp) anyway so I dont know if it would have ever worked but she just bites at the water and barks!?? Crazy dog. Using a firm voice and saying NO is a good way to get them to stop anything.. :)

Eliminator 4 Life
08-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Puppies bite. This is how they learn what stuff is and how far to push it with others. Say no, grab scruff, spray bottles work good, can with pennies (rattle can) can be used.
Being the leader of your small kids is also the instinctual goal. Dominant puppy deal.
Seriously though an 8 week old lab (I have raised several over the years and currently have a 11 mo old up from 7 weeks) is a bumbling ball of nothing thoughts.
Just be patient and this will calm down. Puppy teeth are sharp making it worse.
best answer yet :cool: