PDA

View Full Version : 21 Schiada RC

3 daytona`s
08-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I sure wish I had a dozen sitting around,I think I could sell. :)

djunkie
08-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Its funny, Everyone is trying to sell a DCB and everyone else wants a Schiada. Weird. :crossx: :crossx:

Big Kahunaa
08-30-2006, 07:57 PM
the Schiada isn't some thing you see every day and i think they a cooler

djunkie
08-30-2006, 07:59 PM
I agree 100% :rollside:

blackcloud75
08-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Me Too!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I will get one :rollside:

SFV2RVR
08-30-2006, 08:12 PM
I sure wish I had a dozen sitting around,I think I could sell. :)
I sure wish you did too! because im tryin to buy one! :)

dmontzsta
08-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Schiada is the ultimate cruiser. (period)

franky
08-30-2006, 09:39 PM
I think I will keep mine :)
They are the coolest though, rough is good too. A boat you have to drive!!!

3 daytona`s
08-31-2006, 09:19 AM
I sure wish you did too! because im tryin to buy one! :)
I saw a Knock Out Beautiful one at Needles over the 4th.The guy said if his bride knew what he/they had invested he would die. Have a greay Labor Day everyone :)

DCBDaytona
08-31-2006, 09:27 AM
It's weird...Who would have thought Schiada would have become so desired? I grew up around them and never thought this...and still have mixed emotions about them. I'm very close with four families with newer (post 03) Schiada's, so I get my fix!
Here is what I get to choose from :)
2004 21RT with a 300x (first one)
2004 21RT with 525EFI (3rd one)
2003 21RC with 525EFI (4th one)
2004 24RC with 575SCI (2nd one)
Having been around them so long, I know most of the pros and cons! It's just weird to see how popular they've become....They are the DCB of 2006 on!
Also having my best bud rig for Schiada in the 2002-2004 timeframe help with the enlightenment.

flat broke
08-31-2006, 10:03 AM
It's weird...Who would have thought Schiada would have become so desired? I grew up around them and never thought this...and still have mixed emotions about them. I'm very close with four families with newer (post 03) Schiada's, so I get my fix!
Here is what I get to choose from :)
2004 21RT with a 300x (first one)
2004 21RT with 525EFI (3rd one)
2003 21RC with 525EFI (4th one)
2004 24RC with 575SCI (2nd one)
Having been around them so long, I know most of the pros and cons! It's just weird to see how popular they've become....They are the DCB of 2006 on!
Also having my best bud rig for Schiada in the 2002-2004 timeframe help with the enlightenment.
Are you kidding me? "who would have thought they would have become so desired?" They've been sought after because of their quality and performance since before Dave was lagging clamp ons to the back of Daytonas. To say Schiadas are the DCBs of the post 2006 era is ridiculous. They were the westcoast benchmark for quality long before DCB, and as far as I'm concerned, they still are. But I don't know shit since I don't even own one.
Chris

riverbound
08-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Are you kidding me? "who would have thought they would have become so desired?" They've been sought after because of their quality and performance since before Dave was lagging clamp ons to the back of Daytonas. To say Schiadas are the DCBs of the post 2006 era is ridiculous. They were the westcoast benchmark for quality long before DCB, and as far as I'm concerned, they still are. But I don't know shit since I don't even own one.
Chris
I would agree. as long as I can remember. they have been the benchmark for quality. I cant think of a better all around built boat. DCBs definitely have a lot of bling, but I dont think that the actual quality of build is better than any other boat out there. Dave found a niche and filled it, but I would have to say there are plenty of other boats out there that are better built (and have better hull warranties)

HighVoltage 329
08-31-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm a Hallett man myself but I don't think anyone can question Schiada's build quality. I have raced against them for years and I believe a Hallett Vector can do anything a 21RC can. The RC's get a lot more ink. V-Drives are a different aninal. It's hard to compair 21RC V-Drive to a DCB cat. As far as DCB goes from what I see there quality is right there.

DCBDaytona
08-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Chris
GEEZ. Maybe I know too much? I was in now way knocking Schiada, or comparing them to DCB. It just seems lately, especially on these boards, that a new liking towards Schiada's have come about. Kinda like what happened when everybody loved DCBs on here...2-3 years ago nobody on these boards had DCBs, and that's the point I was making.
You'd be suprised to hear my stories of Lee and Stan :p

DCBDaytona
08-31-2006, 01:21 PM
I would agree. as long as I can remember. they have been the benchmark for quality. I cant think of a better all around built boat. DCBs definitely have a lot of bling, but I dont think that the actual quality of build is better than any other boat out there. Dave found a niche and filled it, but I would have to say there are plenty of other boats out there that are better built (and have better hull warranties)
Once again, I was not knocking the quality of Schiada boats! Have you ever looked at Shiada's closely? Have you ever dealt with Stan or Lee?

mondorally
08-31-2006, 01:32 PM
)
Having been around them so long, I know most of the pros and cons!
I would love to hear the pros & cons. I have no interest in a DCB versus Schiada debate or a Taste Great / Less Filling shouting match.... I just like to know as much as possible about things I own - whether good or bad.
-Justin

andy01
08-31-2006, 01:51 PM
DCB's and Schiada's are two totally different boats. Schiada's run 100 on Parker and are fun to drive, DCB's run 150 on Havasu and are fun to drive........... And really dollar for dollar a DCB is a better value. A new 21 RC is $160,000 plus?? I heard that number at the LA boat show. A new 26' DCB with $160,000 spent will run faster speeds in rougher water and in bigger water, but doesn't turn like a Schiada. One isn't better then the other, one is better if your azz fits that seat better. I think Shiadas are cool boats and probably a blast to drive. I don't think you old school boat guys need to get all hurt over DCB being brought up, Dave builds a hell of a boat as does Lee. Both have a lot of custom harware on them. The DCB is more looks, Lee's boats are more v-drive/user/performance hardware related........
That's my none old boat owning .02
Andy

DCBDaytona
08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
DCB's and Schiada's are two totally different boats. Schiada's run 100 on Parker and are fun to drive, DCB's run 150 on Havasu and are fun to drive........... And really dollar for dollar a DCB is a better value. A new 21 RC is $160,000 plus?? I heard that number at the LA boat show. A new 26' DCB with $160,000 spent will run faster speeds in rougher water and in bigger water, but doesn't turn like a Schiada. One isn't better then the other, one is better if your azz fits that seat better. I think Shiadas are cool boats and probably a blast to drive. I don't think you old school boat guys need to get all hurt over DCB being brought up, Dave builds a hell of a boat as does Lee. Both have a lot of custom harware on them. The DCB is more looks, Lee's boats are more v-drive/user/performance hardware related........
That's my none old boat owning .02
Andy
In 2004, they were nrormally priced. I think my buddy paid $63k for his 2004 21RT light layup with a 300x.

superdave013
08-31-2006, 02:00 PM
In 2004, they were nrormally priced. I think my buddy paid $63k for his 2004 21RT light layup with a 300x.
and if it would have been a v drive with a EFI twin turbo the price would have been double.

DCBDaytona
08-31-2006, 02:07 PM
and if it would have been a v drive with a EFI twin turbo the price would have been double.
Understandable...That too me is rediculous, but it's all motor. Schiada's, themselves, are not that expensive.

superdave013
08-31-2006, 02:13 PM
GEEZ. Maybe I know too much? I was in now way knocking Schiada, or comparing them to DCB. It just seems lately, especially on these boards, that a new liking towards Schiada's have come about. Kinda like what happened when everybody loved DCBs on here...2-3 years ago nobody on these boards had DCBs, and that's the point I was making.
You'd be suprised to hear my stories of Lee and Stan :p
You are reading to much into their posts. Pretty much you take them for granted as you were around them for a lifetime. A lot of us lusted after them back in the day but they were way out of reach. Not that many people were dropping that kind of coin for a v drive cuiser like they cost back then. The outboard version does not apply in this forum.
They are like the '69 camaro. The car we always wanted as a kid and now have the money to do up right. lol Now look at what that did to the price of those cars. Sold new for under 6K and are 7K for a total basket case these days.
At least for me back when I was a kid lusting after Cole / Hondo flatbottoms and Schiada cruisers DCB's Dave was still riding a BMX bike. lol No one is knocking DCB as we all know they are nice. But to most in this forum nothing has the soul of a v drive cruiser with a big inch turbo engine.
Hey Andy, speaking of the better value. Lets wait 25 years and see what boat drops in value the most. If Schiada's stay on track they will hold their value better then just about anything short of a Grand Banks.
You really can't compare the two but I also find it interesting that so many high end cats are for sale and there is not enough good crusiers to go around. Could it be yuppies follow the trends and true v drivers follow their soul? I donno, maybe maybe not.

mondorally
08-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Understandable...That too me is rediculous, but it's all motor. Schiada's, themselves, are not that expensive.
True dat! The rarest Schiada's are the ones with stock power. Most upgrade to at least the blue motors if not one off Brummets/Pfaffs/Teagues, etc. with the corresponding upcharges!
-Justin

mondorally
08-31-2006, 02:18 PM
True dat! The rarest Schiada's are the ones with stock power. Most upgrade to at least the blue motors if not one off Brummets/Pfaffs/Teagues, etc. with the corresponding upcharges!
-Justin
And of course the Gary's beautiful TP motors! Almost forgot one of Hot Boat Forum's most popular engine builders!
-Justin

superdave013
08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
you think? go ask your pal Lee what a blank hull costs these days.
Now you want to talk reduculous, I think outboard power on one of those heavy hulls is reduculous. The boat in your avatar seems like a much better choice for that type of power.
Kinda goes back to that different strokes for different folks thing.

DCBDaytona
08-31-2006, 02:28 PM
you think? go ask your pal Lee what a blank hull costs these days.
Now you want to talk reduculous, I think outboard power on one of those heavy hulls is reduculous. The boat in your avatar seems like a much better choice for that type of power.
Kinda goes back to that different strokes for different folks thing.
I'm afraid to ask! But his demand has gone up huge in the last years, so he's making the right business move. He's got the demand now to drive a higher price.

blackcloud75
08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm afraid to ask! But his demand has gone up huge in the last years, so he's making the right business move. He's got the demand now to drive a higher price.
I am glad I got mine when I did.........14 month turn around in '04....
with this kind of demand..............it'll be like 3.6 years wait time!!!!!!!
Quality Right?

msmeads1
08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
The cost of a new 21RC has been driven up by simple supply and demand.
They only build about 12 to 15 boats a year in total. Only a few 21RC V DRIVE BOATS. The rigging and install takes about 10 months. A custom motor from Carson takes another 10 months.
18 Months later it may be ready for the water.
Cost is a little crazy, but Lee get's it and we pay it? So, it is what it is.
I have never been in a DCB boat so I can not comment. I have been in my 21RC on Havasu with LEE driving when the water was so ruff I thought there was no way we were going to make it? LEE was going at least 100 MPH through it and the boat loved it? That's way people pay what they pay. ( it is kinda stupid though :cry: but I have never been accused of being very bright)
just my 2 cents.

flat broke
08-31-2006, 06:06 PM
DCBDaytona,
I was not knocking DCBs; as they have a great rep as a full bling west coast cat. Andy pretty much hit the nail on the head the different animals deal. I just found it funny that you were talking about them like they were some new trend. But now that I evaluate that sentence I think I see the difference on your perspective vs. mine. When I was a real little tot, my dad used to take me by Schiada every so often back when they were off Western just north of 182 in that tiny little shop. Though my family never owned one, since I've known good from bad in terms of boats, I've lusted over 21RC V'drives. IMHO they are the quintessential river hotrod. Kinda like a full on custom 32 coupe that runs 150, or a 56 shoebox with a huge sleeper NA deal on latemodel underpinnings. Sure they'd get worked over by a Z06 (read DCB) in terms of $/mph etc. But there is something more to them than just performance figures and what you see. In that sense, Schiada has been the cats pajamas since Dave was riding BMX bikes as Superdave put it.
But in a different sense, I now see where you're comming from. All the wannabe performance guys that signed big HELOC checks or otherwise laid down coin to join the club over at DCB are now selling out either due to a changing economic market, or the fact that beacuse Dave sold so many boats, the exclusivity of owning a DCB is no longer there. So now perhaps some of those people will turn to the V'drive cruiser's as the new elite trend. The price of admission and reputation is probably enough to get their attention, but luckily the wait time will probably weed out the guys serious about a performance boat from the ones just looking for the hottest ticket to be seen on. Before Havasu Hangin gets over here and calls me a hater because I brought up the HELOC aspect of DCB's success; I know there are plenty of peeps that paid cash or used conventional boat loans to get their world's best. But no one can deny that the economic environment we were in over the past 5 years made it easier to justify or pull off purchases like big cats, long travel buggies, etc. And that along with DCB's rigging was probably the biggest impetus behind their success.
I got a little off topic, but basically we're just looking at the same situation from two different perspectives. Old boat, new boat, big boat, little boat; it doesn't matter to me. The only thing I hate about any of the above is when there is some wannabe jerkoff at the wheel who is only out on the boat using it as a way to find or host the next party. I can respect the capabilities of different rigs and I don't indescriminately hate on any one type of boat/propulsion system.
The only other thing I'd like to say is that if you have something crappy about the folks at Schiada, say it. I know the company may have had some issues, but I can promise you that if you talk to every owner of every make of boat running the strip, you'll find a horror story or two for each mfg, and that even goes for DCB.
Chris

HM
08-31-2006, 06:20 PM
RiverKid is gonna be all over you like SuperDave on a gay midget. :D

08-31-2006, 06:41 PM
all this talk about schiadas just makes me proud to own one

Riverkid
08-31-2006, 07:49 PM
RiverKid is gonna be all over you like SuperDave on a gay midget. :D
An OB on a RC is pretty ridiculous... Until you build a couple kids, own a couple V drives, and kill a couple motors... I've had a Spectra 20 and Hallett 21 V drive, one carb'd and one TT'd. They were badass and lots of fun. One day I will have my dream RC. Until then, as SD mentions, I'll hold onto my '85 that I helped rig, upholster and later sell, only to have the buyer track me down 17 years later and ask if I want "my" boat back??? My old boss was over here last weekend for my B-day. He owned the Schiada originally, bought as a bare hull from Schiada (I think he traded some seats for it). We ran it to Catalina 17 weekends in a row, and had a blast. An '85 that was rigged in '87. The guy that bought it has a home in Henderson. He put a grand total of 87 hours on it in all that time... It's like a time warp. Old boss walked out in the garage, boat was out there uncovered. I caught him out there a half hour later, still staring at it...
It is a cadillac. Anybody that rides with us can't get over it. Perfect room for the girls and can still get two good skiers double up on slalom skis. Until that day comes, this one will work just fine... :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/2880Catalina05_096_Medium_.jpg
And mine runs, Dave! Just kidding! :)

EZE II
09-04-2006, 05:51 PM
I've owned one DCB and two 21 RCs. they are completly different boats. I thought both were equal in there rigging, customer service and overall quaility. But you cannot compare these boats after that. Different boats with different owners. I personally enjoy driving a 21 v-drive at this point in my life. But if I had a family or friends that were always in my boat with me, then a DCB would work just fine. There are both good boats they just serve different needs.

blackcloud75
09-04-2006, 08:28 PM
............. There are both good boats they just serve different needs.
That is the bottom line!!!!!!!!!!!!!