PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex q?

doesitfloat?
08-31-2006, 06:41 PM
After waking up the other morning and seeing a fat stranger in the mirror, I've decided to get back into shape (or atleast arrest the startling transformation that my body is going through).
My question is: Are bowflex systems any good or are they just another gimmick? (Tony Little comes to mind)
Back when I was in shape some 2, 3 (okay 15) years ago, I was always a free weight kind of guy. Not much nautilus machinery for me.
But since my 1000 lb club days are long behind me AND because I have limited space, I am considering a Bowflex. Any thoughts?
...and before any of you Jane Fonda/Denise Austin types start spouting off: I KNOW I HAVE TO EAT BETTER AND WORK CARDIO, TOO.

voodoomedman
08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
After waking up the other morning and seeing a fat stranger in the mirror, I've decided to get back into shape (or atleast arrest the startling transformation that my body is going through).
My question is: Are bowflex systems any good or are they just another gimmick? (Tony Little comes to mind)
Back when I was in shape some 2, 3 (okay 15) years ago, I was always a free weight kind of guy. Not much nautilus machinery for me.
But since my 1000 lb club days are long behind me AND because I have limited space, I am considering a Bowflex. Any thoughts?
...and before any of you Jane Fonda/Denise Austin types start spouting off: I KNOW I HAVE TO EAT BETTER AND WORK CARDIO, TOO.
I want one. They seem more like a real thing than a regular gimmick. We'll use machines at the gym so the bowflex is the same thing but you just attach the right to the resistance bars instead of the weight and save a bunch of space. Not like some stupid machine that is chintzy and doesn't really work anything but your pocketbook and claims that you'll be ripped by only working out 8 minutes a day.

Tom Brown
08-31-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not a big Bowflex fan, I prefer free weights, but a buddy of mine has a Bowflex and I can see that it would provide everything you would need for a pretty solid strength training program.
Personally, however, I prefer going to the gym. In the summer I lift at home and ride my bike. In the winter (8 months of the year), I go to the gym. They've got more equipment than I would want to own, I've got some buds down there who kick my ass when I don't sweat as much as I should, and there is often a cute blonde pony tail to follow around the running track.

Beer-30
08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Everyone is different, but I myself had a SoloFlex years ago. Never used it. If I am in "working out" mode, I choose the gym. Having a bunch of other peeps around, doing the same thing, is motivational. You see people you want to be like / and people you don't want to be like. I go to a gym that is on my route to work. So, it is not a wasted trip to go. I go either before or after work.
Always helps to have someone else to go with that has your same goal.
A friend of mine has a BowFlex and likes it. But he goes to the gym, too.

voodoomedman
08-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Everyone is different, but I myself had a SoloFlex years ago. Never used it. If I am in "working out" mode, I choose the gym. Having a bunch of other peeps around, doing the same thing, is motivational. You see people you want to be like / and people you don't want to be like. I go to a gym that is on my route to work. So, it is not a wasted trip to go. I go either before or after work.
Always helps to have someone else to go with that has your same goal.
Depends on the person. My wife is way more motivated then I am. We cannot go to the gym anymore because of starting a family but she still runs everyday and works out with dumbells and stuff. I just bought her an elliptical and she is on it everyday and when we get a bowflex or the like she will use that everday too no doubt. I on the otherhand am on and off. I would rather get exercise by playing some ball or something fun like that.

cc239badlands
08-31-2006, 06:55 PM
I have been using a workout called crossfit. it's high impact low duration workouts using free weights, push ups, pull ups, situps, etc. I have been using it for 2 months and it's the best shape iv'e been in since my 20's. The website is www.crossfit.com and you do the work out of the day. It kicks your ass.
Good luck fat boy! :)

eman1625
08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Try the selec tech free weights. We like them because they are adjustable and the wify can use them as well. They were not that expensive either...maybe $350. I have had them for about a year and no problems.

doesitfloat?
08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
I agree with you guys...I am more "pushed" to work harder at the gym but because I am a contractor, I have major scheduling issues getting to the gym consistently. Also, often times, I have thousands of dollars of equipment in my truck that I can't leave in the parking lot...hence the bowflex idea.
I also forgot to ask: If you DO like the Bowflex, what model? I didn't know that there are so many different models until I just went to their website. I think that there's a pretty good used market also.

doesitfloat?
08-31-2006, 07:00 PM
I have been using a workout called crossfit. it's high impact low duration workouts using free weights, push ups, pull ups, situps, etc. I have been using it for 2 months and it's the best shape iv'e been in since my 20's. The website is www.crossfit.com and you do the work out of the day. It kicks your ass.
Good luck fat boy! :)
Is that to motivate me or just to piss me off???!!! :yuk: :rollside: lol
I'll check that site out. Thanks.

doesitfloat?
08-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Try the selec tech free weights. We like them because they are adjustable and the wify can use them as well. They were not that expensive either...maybe $350. I have had them for about a year and no problems.
Yeah, those are cool. But don't they only go to 50lbs?

cc322
08-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Go to the book store and buy Body For Life it is a great book, not only does it give you a work out routine, but it gives you a diet plan as well. And most can be done with a flat bench and dumbells. Way cheaper then a Bowflex.
http://www.bodyforlife.com/

cc239badlands
08-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Too motivate, of course.

doesitfloat?
08-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Go to the book store and buy Body For Life it is a great book, not only does it give you a work out routine, but it gives you a diet plan as well. And most can be done with a flat bench and dumbells. Way cheaper then a Bowflex.
http://www.bodyforlife.com/
Wife already has it...very good book.
I don't have the room for the bench and db's. I have had that set up before (twice) and I'm looking for something more compact as I hated walking "around" the bench and db's all the time. A good bench, squat rack, and db rack will take up a lot of space OR you're having to put it all away everytime you lift.

RitcheyRch
08-31-2006, 07:29 PM
If you want a Bowflex or Soloflex dont buy them from the TV special. Look in the recycler since there are numerous of each one in there for about $100-150

Pheelin Phroggy
08-31-2006, 07:54 PM
we have had a Boxflex Utilimate and a Bowflex Treadclimber for about 1yr We work at 3-5 time a week in the A,M, at home, for about 90 minutes.(set up with a wall mount tv, trust me, nothing treadcliming at max spead to Full Metal Jacket to keep you motivated. He: lost approx 53lbs She lost 10: (she didnt have 50 to loose) but toned really nice. Combined with a high protein, high greenary diet, we love it, Just determine your goal, devlelop the program, and stick to it. Our gm is in our house,and we feed pff each other when needed, good luck! We feel great, and are stilworking on iot to get even better.
You have to religiosly use what you buy for results,a be ready for it to take awhile, most of us take 10 years putting it on, on expect off in 3 weeks (just doesnt work that way took us a year)---- so Good Luck

Tom Brown
08-31-2006, 07:58 PM
PP, how has the sex been since you started working out?