PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass vs. Gunite pools

TCN
09-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Has anybody had to make this choice and if so why did you choose the way you did. We are getting similar quotes for each type but want to make the right choice. Also, does anybody have any experience dealing with the city about getting a gas line brought to the house from either next door or across the street? We were never given the option when we bought our house but our neighbors have it and I have heard conflicting stories about the city doing it for free to a certain point or fee's that are involved. Thanks in advance. Nick

lakewake
09-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Screw the gas and go with solar heating unless you are putting in a hot tub .

TCN
09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Screw the gas and go with solar heating unless you are putting in a hot tub .
We are doing a pool/jacuzzi combo.

Mr. Crusader 83
09-01-2006, 06:13 PM
my parents put a pool in at the house in havasu. they used gunite. not sure why. i think they were told that it last longer.

Sanger D
09-01-2006, 08:38 PM
gunite is good for building odd shaped custom pools but if you find the shape and color of a glass tub then buy it!!!!!I've built pools for over 20 years and glass is cheaper tomaintain,less chemicals,glass does'nt grow most algaes.no replastering and tile repair is easier and cheaper.If you spend alot of time in it ,youll see that the gless pool will not tear your feet up like gunite.You just need to find a good installer,they are wayyy cheaper to install,the dealer will work with you if you act like you already know that glass pools go in faster and cheaper to build,they are not the same cost to install.hope this helps..............................San Juan builds a good tub.

slotracer
09-02-2006, 05:35 AM
my parents had a glass pool in their house. when we moved to the valley we had a gunite pool put in our house i had forgotten about the glass pools. if i could redo it i would go glass. easier to maintain.

SHOTKALLIN
09-02-2006, 10:28 AM
i never knew about glass pools being a good thing??? I thought they were a step above a doughboy??? who knew?

Mrs 2LKHVSU
09-02-2006, 07:47 PM
We have found that we enjoy friends pools made of fiberglass OR gunite both the same. Thanks for asking, we hope this information will help you decide. :D

jbone
09-03-2006, 04:35 AM
We had the fiberglass pool when I was a kid. Like said, it was very easy to mantain the chemicals. All I ever had to add was chlorine. Nothing else. Something about the pool being a neutral ph. The pool is now 26 years old
with no problems.
I would do a fiberglass again. It think they are a lot cheaper too.
J

TCN
09-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Thanks everyone. Fiberglass it is. Nick

hava life
09-03-2006, 03:11 PM
We've had our glass pool for over 2 yrs. now and I have no complaints at all. San Juan pools did the install in about 3 weeks.http://www.fototime.com/9AFF32D1EE2AFD2/standard.jpg

TCN
09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
We've had our glass pool for over 2 yrs. now and I have no complaints at all. San Juan pools did the install in about 3 weeks.http://www.fototime.com/9AFF32D1EE2AFD2/standard.jpg
That looks like the same pool we want. It is a San Juan but I can't remember the model right now. What do you use to heat your jacuzzi? Gas, propane, electric?

phebus
09-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Nick,I'm in the process on getting bids on gunite pools, and was wondering how fiberglass compared. Approx how much is that San Juan pool with spa? Do they do saltwater systems?
I'm going to have to do my research, I was set on a gunite pool until this thread came up, and the picture of the last pool really got my interest up. Beautifull.

TCHB
09-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Nick my next door neighbor in Havasu has a glass pool and it is 31 years old and still looks great.

Ion
09-03-2006, 04:01 PM
I've been here almost 7 years and my gunnite / plaster pool began to blister 3 years ago, making it necessary to do underwater plaster patches during the season! The pool's probably around 15 years old, but all plaster pools will eventually blister with the poor water quality and extreme heat. If I had to build another, fiberglass would be my choice!

TCN
09-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Nick,I'm in the process on getting bids on gunite pools, and was wondering how fiberglass compared. Approx how much is that San Juan pool with spa? Do they do saltwater systems?
I'm going to have to do my research, I was set on a gunite pool until this thread came up, and the picture of the last pool really got my interest up. Beautifull.
32,200 for that pool with a chlorine system. That is with spa heater, fiber optic lights, 3' of cool deck and a few other things. Let's go in together and get a multi pool deal???? It is painted on the dirt in our back yard right now if you want to take a look at the size.

CBadDad
09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
I might be a little late too this party, but my fiberglass pool was installed in the early 70's (previos owners). The pump has been changed but the pool itself looks great and I'll echo what everybody else said, it is easy to maintain.
Let us know when the pool party is. :cool:

phebus
09-03-2006, 07:51 PM
32,200 for that pool with a chlorine system. That is with spa heater, fiber optic lights, 3' of cool deck and a few other things. Let's go in together and get a multi pool deal???? It is painted on the dirt in our back yard right now if you want to take a look at the size.
Wow, I'm looking at about 10k more for gunite, but that is saltwater, with a 24" raised spa.

TCN
09-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Wow, I'm looking at about 10k more for gunite, but that is saltwater, with a 24" raised spa.
The saltwater is about 1,200 more and they have some pretty cool built in water fall options on some of the glass pools that would simulate the raised spa. Think about it. We are doing it for sure as soon as we win the powerball or super lotto so I will keep you posted.

phebus
09-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I wonder if we would have any leverage on a two pool deal?

phebus
09-03-2006, 08:01 PM
What company in town are you dealing with?

Havasu1986
09-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm in for 3

TCN
09-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I mentioned another friend of mine who is interested and they said they would throw in the lights and vacuum thing for free. If we went together and did 2 completes I am sure we would be looking at a few G's each. The company is Colorado River Pools and the type of pool is a San Juan. Go to San Juan Pools.com and you can check it out. The guy I have been talking to is Ralph Wilbur and the # is 928-453-1540.

TCN
09-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm in for 3
Bobby are you really interested??????????????

phebus
09-03-2006, 08:21 PM
The pool I was getting bids on was a gunite 15'x30', 7" conversation area with a table, 6' deep with a 7x8' 24" raised spa, pebble tech, saltwater, remote system, color changing light, pop up cleaning system with 3' concrete around pool. Whew!! The bids were right around 42K.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Ballers :crossx: :cool: :p

phebus
09-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Ballers :crossx: :cool: :p
No, I'm in debt up to my neck :D But. I'll have fun right till my grave :rollside:

TCN
09-03-2006, 08:33 PM
The pool I was getting bids on was a gunite 15'x30', 7" conversation area with a table, 6' deep with a 7x8' 24" raised spa, pebble tech, saltwater, remote system, color changing light, pop up cleaning system with 3' concrete around pool. Whew!! The bids were right around 42K.
This pool is 35' x 15' with a baja step and several bench seats. Changing color lights, 3' of cool deck concrete, chlorine system, pool cleaning shark, and a few other things.

djunkie
09-04-2006, 02:17 AM
HMMMMMM :idea: :idea: :idea:

hava life
09-04-2006, 01:05 PM
The spa is gas and I had them do the decking a little different. I put 1' on one side and had them put the extra sq.' on the entry side of the pool. We are real happy with the pool and the fiberglass does not bother your feet, it is real smooth. the pool cost about 29,000 at the time and I did get prices on gunite but they were around 42,000 for basicaly the same typye with a spa. The pool comes with 3' of decking and the lights. I have no complaints with the way our pool turned out for the price. I would of liked to have a bigger pool but this fit well in the yard and was the design I wanted. We had a waterfall line put in and it is on saltwater,http://www.fototime.com/861D08A8BB6B96D/standard.jpg

Bling Bling
09-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Don't do the in floor cleaning system. That's a good price. Call me and we can meet next weekend and I can show you the pool Island pool and I did for my house in Havasu. I will also go over with you what you need to do for equipment. My opinion on Fiberglass, Pebble looks alot more high end then Fiberglass shells, as well as a fiberglass finish. Glass is easier to take care of, just depends on the look your going after. I still can't belive you have not hit me up yet about this. :D

TCN
09-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the awesome pictures. I sent a pm to you about you pool.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Sweet looking pool.....

hava life
09-04-2006, 02:19 PM
we put the pool in around 2 years ago and I am almost done doing the rear yard landscaping and patio. Today I hooked up the tv in the patio area and then enjoyed the pool. The worst thing about doing the work yourself is that I have not had much time to go out on the boat :mad: Between work, the yard, and our new store, Scraps.We have only had the boat out about 4 times this year.

TCN
09-04-2006, 03:29 PM
we put the pool in around 2 years ago and I am almost done doing the rear yard landscaping and patio. Today I hooked up the tv in the patio area and then enjoyed the pool. The worst thing about doing the work yourself is that I have not had much time to go out on the boat :mad: Between work, the yard, and our new store, Scraps.We have only had the boat out about 4 times this year.
What kind of store is Scraps?

hava life
09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
It's a pet store in Lake havasu by Shooters. It's across the street from the new condos in the channel.

phebus
09-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Don't do the in floor cleaning system. That's a good price. Call me and we can meet next weekend and I can show you the pool Island pool and I did for my house in Havasu. I will also go over with you what you need to do for equipment. My opinion on Fiberglass, Pebble looks alot more high end then Fiberglass shells, as well as a fiberglass finish. Glass is easier to take care of, just depends on the look your going after. I still can't belive you have not hit me up yet about this. :D
Oh, I was planning on picking your brain, Rocky gave me your number, I just wanted to educate myself a little before contacting you.
Rick

slowinhavasu
09-04-2006, 08:12 PM
The spa is gas and I had them do the decking a little different. I put 1' on one side and had them put the extra sq.' on the entry side of the pool. We are real happy with the pool and the fiberglass does not bother your feet, it is real smooth. the pool cost about 29,000 at the time and I did get prices on gunite but they were around 42,000 for basicaly the same typye with a spa. The pool comes with 3' of decking and the lights. I have no complaints with the way our pool turned out for the price. I would of liked to have a bigger pool but this fit well in the yard and was the design I wanted. We had a waterfall line put in and it is on saltwater,http://www.fototime.com/861D08A8BB6B96D/standard.jpg
Back yard looks great, what a change from when you bought it...I did notice that boat hasn't moved much......
Mike Vanrooy....gunite...he is the sh*t here in Havasu...on time ...top notch...great customer service.......

blackcloud75
09-04-2006, 08:13 PM
It's a pet store in Lake havasu by Shooters. It's across the street from the new condos in the channel.
Next to Cha Bones and shooters....I think