PDA

View Full Version : Moving to San Diego in '07- where to go boating?

zimm
09-03-2006, 05:12 AM
I'm Navy and moving back to San Diego in 2007. Anyone have a little list of places to go boating? I have a 22' Donzi Classic so I don't think I'll be running to Catalina, but maybe the bay and some local lakes would be great.

jbone
09-03-2006, 08:06 AM
We mostly do the 3.5 hr run out to Yuma AZ and put in at Fishers Landing on the river. Great place to hit the sandbar and hangout.
For local lakes:
Lower Otay-for test and tune only (no water contact).
San Vincente-nice lake to cruise and wake board/ski. Limited water contact, but it is a nice lake.
El Capitan-never been there, but hear it is nice. I believe they also have limited water contact, but allow jet skis in addition to wake boarding and skiing.
There is always Mission Bay and San Diego Bay (the harbor).
In Mission, Ski Beach is okay, but I don't do salt, so others will have to help you there.
I hope you get a good housing allowance to move back to S.D.
J

Legal Chemistry
09-05-2006, 02:54 PM
JBone's list is pretty good and complete (I got info from him months ago)
El Cap: I was there for the first time on Saturday. It does allow lake lice -but in a different area than boats (nice!) Smaller lake, but a nice long arm to travel down (~4 miles)
San Vin: Just as he said: Great place. Fills up fast (8:20 am on Sat is was full) took ~1 hour or so to get on late Sunday afternoon
Mission Bay: crowded, small, but it has fun beaches to daycamp at
SD Bay: Larger and more room, more "stuff" to look at
Otay: Haven't been b/c no water contact
Elisinore: larger, dirtier and 45 minutes away (I normally stay away)
Catalina: You can leave out of HB, LB, or NB and be there in about and hour
Congrats on coming to SD. It is "America's Best" city! Don't forget the sunshine tax -it ain't cheap here!
JBone, how's Yuma -I've never been?? I normally just head to Havi if I'm traveling that far.

jbtrailerjim
09-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Do yourself a favor and just make the trip out to Lake Havasu, Lake Mead, or Lake Mohave. Once you boat on one of those lakes, you'll never want to boat on a local So.Cal. lake again.
So.Cal sucks for boating unless you have something big enough to run in the ocean. Local lakes are small, crowded, and full of lake lice. The four to five hour drive it takes getting to one of those lakes I mentioned sucks. But once you are there on the water you'll realize the drive is worth it.

Badseed
09-06-2006, 02:16 AM
San V is cool but its closing down after next year for a few years to raise up the level.
El Cap is cool if you want to tow it out that narrow a$$ road
I grew up about 5 mins from San V we used to go about 3-4 times a week during season. But I loved going to the lower end of the river so much I moved down there! I live in Yuma now and its only about 3-3.5 hours (towing) from SD.
Something on one else has mentioned yet....if you are into saltwater...
Humphreys by the Bay for free concerts usually some pretty good shows. (Free shows) haha
Good luck!

Legal Chemistry
09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
So.Cal sucks for boating unless you have something big enough to run in the ocean. Local lakes are small, crowded, and full of lake lice.
I hear what your saying... don't get me wrong Havi is the mecca of boating. BUT San Vin limits # of peeps on the lake (IMO never crowded) and NO LAKE LICE. Although I miss the absolute debauchery of Havi, San V beats the 6 hour drive for a quick day on the boat!