PDA

View Full Version : Isn't about time for Brakes!!!!

SummitKarl
09-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Isn't it about time for Brakes on boats, it's something I always preach to the Hot Roding community. "Make it Stop before you make it Go", now I know there is not much we can do about catastrophic failure at speed or even catching a rail it's the risk we take as boaters. but in this day and age we should be able to invent something to pull a boat off plane and to a stop in a rather short distance. in the same light that NASCAR put vents on the roofs of their cars to stop roll overs and the way INDY car put straps on the wheels to keep them attached in a accident, WE the boating community and industry need to discover the BRAKE PEDAL or at least the E-STOP button.
just my .02
whats yours

pixrthis
09-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Or remember that they don't have them and stop putting ourselves into positions that we need them.

Tom Brown
09-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Brakes would be good but what would be better is larger engines and more speed. :cool:

Ziggy
09-03-2006, 10:29 AM
we have horns instead.... :rolleyes:
Someone smart could figure out something but would it be practical or function well in panic mode?

wsuwrhr
09-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Or remember that they don't have them and stop putting ourselves into positions that we need them.
winner winner winner

MikeF
09-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah, And then we can sue the company that made the boat brakes cause the boat didn't stop quick enough to keep the death from occurring. :skull:
Sorry man. The water is just too unpredictable and when you're travelling at 110mph.....ain't much gonna save you when you hit something else.

hoolign
09-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Well ..That's why i like jet boats..slam it in reverse!! it's been done more than once.

MikeF
09-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Well ..That's why i like jet boats..slam it in reverse!! it's been done more than once.
My friend avoided a sure Tbone at the river in my old boat by doing this. I would say that it works REALLY WELL! :cool:

Sleek-Jet
09-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Nice sentiment, but the safety advances in NASCAR and Indy are both passive systems. The spoilers on the car roofs are actuated by airflow, and of course a strap is a strap.
What you suggest would be a technical nightmare... and if you want to see what would happen if a boat had an emergency stopping system of some sort, watch a video of a seaplane landing with the wheel down on water... either you'd flip the boat and eject the passangers, or simply eject everyone when the boat came to a sudden stop... unless you restrain the passangers...
You'd need accelerometers, actuaters, and a robust enough computer system to live through operating in a marine enviroment.
And honestly, I think if you could pull it off, people would just push their equipment that much harder. An aircraft company decided to put an entire airframe parachute system in all of their products... make things that much safer, after all, now you can lower yourself to the ground if bad things happen... the accident rates for these airplanes is several times higher than a comparable airplane without a chute. Why?? People are pushing themselves and their equipment farther, because, after all, you've got a chute.
.... IMHO...

texsun
09-03-2006, 11:05 AM
And honestly, I think if you could pull it off, people would just push their equipment that much harder. An aircraft company decided to put an entire airframe parachute system in all of their products... make things that much safer, after all, now you can lower yourself to the ground if bad things happen... the accident rates for these airplanes is several times higher than a comparable airplane without a chute. Why?? People are pushing themselves and their equipment farther, because, after all, you've got a chute.
you are suggesting we dont consider safety devices because they give people a sense of security........IMO, that is backwards thinking to the nth degree.
IMO, the only thing lacking in boats now is the ability to stop...........no, you dont need to decelerate any faster (and throw your passengers out) than you do in a car. The depth of a ski or size of a chute could be adjusted easily. What I have seen from most inecperienced and experienced boaters is the failure to judge how to sluff off speed...........great opp for improving safety.

Tom Brown
09-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm going to use your boat as a ramp the next time we boat together.
http://www.classicglastron.com/james-bond-jump-100dpi.JPG

Sleek-Jet
09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
you are suggesting we dont consider safety devices because they give people a sense of security........IMO, that is backwards thinking to the nth degree.
IMO, the only thing lacking in boats now is the ability to stop...........no, you dont need to decelerate any faster (and throw your passengers out) than you do in a car. The depth of a ski or size of a chute could be adjusted easily. What I have seen from most inecperienced and experienced boaters is the failure to judge how to sluff off speed...........great opp for improving safety.
I can show you how people will rely on a mechanical safety devise that's supposed to be there as a back-up only, as a replacemant for judgement...
I took SK's post as saying we need some sort of emergency stopping device...

SummitKarl
09-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Nice sentiment, but the safety advances in NASCAR and Indy are both passive systems. The spoilers on the car roofs are actuated by airflow, and of course a strap is a strap.
What you suggest would be a technical nightmare... and if you want to see what would happen if a boat had an emergency stopping system of some sort, watch a video of a seaplane landing with the wheel down on water... either you'd flip the boat and eject the passangers, or simply eject everyone when the boat came to a sudden stop... unless you restrain the passangers...
You'd need accelerometers, actuaters, and a robust enough computer system to live through operating in a marine enviroment.
.... IMHO...
actually it could be something VERY! simple, like deploy able scoop(s) at the rear of the boat, much like the scoops on a air tanker that skims the water to fill up it's tanks, only the water could be diverted to the outside of the boat, or even more simple 90deg (or more) actuated trim tabs, both things could easily hide under swim steps, or be made to be a swim step :idea:

hoolign
09-03-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm going to use your boat as a ramp the next time we boat together.
http://www.classicglastron.com/james-bond-jump-100dpi.JPG
See the guy at the bottom pointing the gun?? tha's JBB..don't make me let him know your pissing me off :mad: :mad:

SummitKarl
09-03-2006, 11:31 AM
and just when you sucked up a baggie or a few pounds of weeds, is when you need that reverse and it ain't there.....been there and done that :2purples: "hang on this is gona hurt"
or worse Ziggy will remember my wild ride on a 24' Jet "Ranger" that just broke the steering pin at speed, guess what happened, the captian threw it in revese and hit the gas and with the nozzle no longer on the boat, launched us full throttle up the side of a cliff :2purples: :2purples:

Tom Brown
09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Speaking of stopping distance, I can tell you that when I run a small ear chopper and revv it to 9000 RPM, cutting the throttle doesn't do a lot. My boat will skim along for blocks. An A5 chopper isn't much better.
When I run a Trophy, cutting the throttle is like slamming on the brakes. I've slammed the hell out of the steering wheel many times. It decelerates way, way faster than my car could possibly brake.
Lower pitch and bigger blades make a huge effect on how much a prop will drag when you cut the gas.

squirt'nmyload
09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
and just when you sucked up a baggie or a few pounds of weeds, is when you need that reverse and it ain't there
huh????http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/wtf.gif

pixrthis
09-03-2006, 11:37 AM
this works great until the bow of the boat is under water and you're still moving towards whatever it is your trying not to hit. Throwing it into reverse can be fun but I never thought it worked that well as a safety device.

Tom Brown
09-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Jet boats are dangerous. They should be banned.

Sleek-Jet
09-03-2006, 11:39 AM
I've slammed the hell out of the steering wheel many times. It decelerates way, way faster than my car could possibly brake.
Lower pitch and bigger blades make a huge effect on how much a prop will drag when you cut the gas.
Tom illustrates that you're going to need to restrain the boat occupants to prevent injuries from the braking system...

Jbb
09-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Brakes would be good but what would be better is larger engines and more speed. :cool:
Exactly....and not running in packs..

Jbb
09-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Define ...............dangerous....

Jbb
09-03-2006, 11:54 AM
See the guy at the bottom pointing the gun?? tha's JBB..don't make me let him know your pissing me off :mad: :mad:
Brown is ripe for an ass kicking..... :mad:

phebus
09-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I would think that if you put brakes on most of todays hull designs, if you stopped quickly, your wake would swamp the boat.

hoolign
09-03-2006, 12:35 PM
this works great until the bow of the boat is under water and you're still moving towards whatever it is your trying not to hit. Throwing it into reverse can be fun but I never thought it worked that well as a safety device.
Well technicaly ..if the bow of the boat is under water..you have a few other issues..as in a flooded interior and a floating out of his seat driver with very clean teeth. :D Ive hit the brakes in a 18 and in a 23 due to some dipshits on sea doos crossing my path. never put the bow under.maybe just lucky. I think Karl has a great idea. Ive lost power in a jet and it can be quite ..well..exiting!
I personally run with the Tom Brown drag stop metheod! I just put a harness on him and a rope from him top the transom..if I need to stop fast I simply throw a bran muffin out the back and he jumps out to grab it..dragging the boat to a stop...the bitch is him towing me backwards like jaws.

hoolign
09-03-2006, 12:40 PM
huh????http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/wtf.gif
Never had problems with baggies..their always tucked in the glovebox beside the papers :D

Tom Brown
09-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Define ...............dangerous....
OK.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0153.JPG

Jbb
09-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Are you frightened like a schoolgirl.....Tom....?..... :p
Besides....the scary mufflers have long since been removed....

hoolign
09-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Are you frightened like a schoolgirl.....Tom....?..... :p
Besides....the scary mufflers have long since been removed....
TomBelina??

Rexone
09-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I've broken a crank in my Schiada pushing 100. Quite effective in stopping. The ass end of the boat was out of the water on about a 20ยบ angle, put a wall of water over the bow about a foot high, bruised the drivers ribs on the steering wheel through a Lifeline, blew me out of the seat (sitting backwards in a ski race) and separeted the deck from the hull and cracked the hull in the fore area. If it hadn't been a Schiada I might not be around to write this.
Perhaps just a cylinder full of tiny metal pellets mounted on top of the valve cover rigged to inject into the engine in an emergency via a brake pedal. I think it would work and there'd still be a strong incentive to not get into a position where you need to use it. :)

Jbb
09-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Perhaps just a cylinder full of tiny metal pellets mounted on top of the valve cover rigged to inject into the engine in an emergency via a brake pedal. I think it would work and there'd still be a strong incentive to not get into a position where you need to use it. :)
A picture of the new invention...would make a great cover shot for the new catalog!... :p

mickeyfinn
09-04-2006, 01:54 AM
I thought that was what the foot controlled cavitation plate was for. Back out of the gas and give it all the pedal it has. Pretty effective at stopping, Does push the front of the boat down a lot. Might work better for converting from a boat to a submarine.

Cas
09-04-2006, 06:58 AM
you're not shittin! the boat that's just sitting in my driveway is attacking the people walking by all the time! If I go try to move it, the bastard bites me!
It's so damn dangerous, I've been thinking about naming it Winchester after those dangerous unloaded guns in my closet.