PDA

View Full Version : Port Deposit Boat Accident

sunkisst
09-04-2006, 05:12 AM
I just saw this on the news. Speedboats were racing .One dead .Any more? Who knows more?

Moneypitt
09-04-2006, 07:29 AM
I just saw this on the news. Speedboats were racing .One dead .Any more? Who knows more?
Jersey speed skiff crash. There is a complete story somewhere here on the boards.....MP
Story at boatracingfacts.com in general discussion forum......

Moneypitt
09-04-2006, 03:15 PM
This is from BRF web site.......
John Howe
Team Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just found this over on the Jersey Skiff website.
I truly regret having to post this. However, word is going around, so I very reluctantly must report the sad news as I know it. Paul Sohn, of the Sohn Jersey Speed Skiff Racing Family, out of Grasonville, MD, had a terrible accident while participating in a race at Port Deposit, MD earlier today. Initial reports as they have been relayed to me indicate that the boat, JS-57 "Jumpin' Jack Flash", owned and driven by Paul, crashed and broke the bow off causing the boat to sink rapidly. Paul's son TJ, who was riding in the boat, released himself as the boat sank, but apparently Paul was unable to escape as the boat sank. As of this writing, the boat and driver have not been located.
I will post more info as I receive it.
From myself and my family, our prayers and deepest sympathy go out to the Sohn family; Kim, Brittany, Tiffany, and TJ.

sunkisst
09-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Truly sorry to hear these news.I wish the family the best.Being a competitor,in powereboat competion,I feel .There are no words that can

737jetmech
09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
We were watching the races and saw the accident happen. Also watched as the remains of the boat sank.Really put a lump in my throat.What started as a great day with friends on the water turn into a very somber afternoon.
Seeing this stuff makes you think about are love for boating and running at speed. Be Save out there guys and gals!
They still haven't been able to find remains the boat or the missing racer.
Very sad ... news

737jetmech
09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Divers found the boat and driver on Tuesday around 11:00 .

Sked
09-08-2006, 06:54 AM
The Jersey Speed Skiff Class is soliciting donations to help out the family of Paul Sohn, the skiff racer who was killed during a race in Port Deposit, MD. last weekend. Paul was a great guy but he was not a wealthy man financially speaking. He and his family sacrificed a lot in order to participate in the sport they loved. He leaves behind a wife and three children all of whom participated with him and were regulars at all our races. His son and two daughters all took their turns racing in the boat with their dad and his wife drove the tow vehicle and handle logistics for their team. The nicest of people.
Any contributions to help out our brother's family would ease the burden of Paul's untimely death and would be greatly appreciated. If you are inclined to make a donation, please click the link below. Thank You
Make a donation to the Sohn Family (http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/sohn_family_fund.htm)
All donations go to a non profit, tax free bank account set up exclusively for Paul's Family.