PDA

View Full Version : Garage flooring

phebus
01-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I would like to trick out the garage floor in Havasu, and need opinions of what works and looks best.
Epoxy, tile, etc.

Rexone
01-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Whatever you choose I'd get something resistant to dog pee. :wink:

Squirtin Thunder
01-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Rick I would contact Tom (Dilligaf) he has a very brite custom floor at his place here. And it looks cool too.

Red Horse
01-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Commerical grade VCT (vinyl composition tile) would stand up to alot of abuse and you can checker it and make murals out of the stuff (time consuming). Possibilities are endless. Drawbacks. Need to do it on a CLEAN floor, like shorty after construction, before the first spilled oil type thing and the weather is a factor. Glue needs to be water resistant at best and freeze thaw stable. This of course depends on where you plan on doing this. You also might want to start the tile about a 1/2 inch back from garage door rough opening. Especcially if you have a raised garage floor.
Epoxy is durable and easy to apply but you are limited to about 10 colors.
Paint and you will do it again. Thats if you USE your garage like I use mine.

2Driver
01-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Expoxied our 3 car. Came out very nice and easy to clean. I'm real happy.
If it is an exiting garage it is all about prep. I had to have a few areas ground down in addition to the acid etch. Be sure to put some non-slip in the Epoxy, when it's wet it is like elephant snot. I don't need to slip with the old L4 and L5 screwed together. :cry:

phebus
01-14-2006, 04:21 PM
I hear ya. I have the L4, L5, and S1 screwed together. :cry:

Daytona19
01-14-2006, 04:53 PM
RACE DECK... I LOVE mine and they are great to work with. Try racedeck.com

Woodster
01-14-2006, 05:08 PM
If you decide to do Epoxy, make sure they prep your floor by diamond grinding it. Ive seen alot of failures do to just using the acid etch method..Prep is the key to your floor lasting a long time and not peeling up. Let me know if u have any other questions about it. :rollside:

Riverkid
01-14-2006, 05:15 PM
We had a gray colored epoxy done in our garage 4+ years ago here in Corona by a custom vendor. It has really held up well, given the wife's hot tires in and out every day, the boat trailer plus a buggy and all the parts that get slid across it... It's almost 850 square feet.
Do as mentioned, and add some type of non skid. You can't walk through my garage with wet feet without some serious gymnastics. I'm still kinda waiting for the Expedition to be in the living room some rainy night when the wife comes in hot...
Not to mention what it does to the dog...

djunkie
01-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Ours is expoxied. If the insurance hadn't paid for it then I would not have done it. Its already starting to peel in spots. I'd go with the vinyl tiles.

tahitijet
01-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I hear ya. I have the L4, L5, and S1 screwed together. :cry:
I can relate. I have the same. if your not going to weld and cut or try and use jackstands on the floor a nice VCT is cheap and easy to mix and match for a design or pattern like the others have said. It's also fairly easy to replace if needed.

Woodster
01-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Ours is expoxied. If the insurance hadn't paid for it then I would not have done it. Its already starting to peel in spots. I'd go with the vinyl tiles.
Thats my point about the prep..I have garages that are 6 yrs old and still holding up great..Its all in the prep

mickeyfinn
01-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Pricey, but stonhard epoxy is the shit.Get the broadcast finish for skid resistance. Stonhard will only sell to approved installers. Runs up the price some, but prep is done right. We use it in our plant. Nothing like it.
Stonhard (http://www.stonhard.com/)

Riverkid
01-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm serious about that one. She drives like the proverbial Bat Out Of Heck... :) I asked her to back it in so the girls don't door ding up the boat or the buggy. Seems to have slown her down somewhat... :D :D
Don't know how the twins don't come home carsick every day... I can't ride shotgun in that thing, always reaching for the pass side brake pedal...

Riverkid
01-14-2006, 06:44 PM
You first. What's your email addy again? :D :D :D
Just sold the old biz and started up a new one. We'll see you guys out at Parker a lot this season. I'm tired of my employees having all the fun! :)

Brooski
01-14-2006, 07:15 PM
You should know though, vinyl flooring in a garage is not allowed per the Universal Building Code. All garage flooring must be non-flammable. Vinyl is considered flammable. In case you were not aware. Good luck.

tahitijet
01-14-2006, 07:18 PM
You should know though, vinyl flooring in a garage is not allowed per the Universal Building Code. All garage flooring must be non-flammable. Vinyl is considered flammable. In case you were not aware. Good luck.
VCT isn't flamable.. We used to use it in classrooms and hospital wings when i did portable buildings.

phebus
01-14-2006, 07:39 PM
I can relate. I have the same. if your not going to weld and cut or try and use jackstands on the floor a nice VCT is cheap and easy to mix and match for a design or pattern like the others have said. It's also fairly easy to replace if needed.
I'd love to find a good old, big anvil. The one's I've seen cost a fortune though.

Jbb
01-14-2006, 07:40 PM
I cover mine in bondo dust....and metal chips..... :p

riverroyal
01-15-2006, 10:21 AM
check out www.thegaragepeople.com they dont do havasu,but give you ideas,they did my garage

phebus
01-15-2006, 10:26 AM
I cover mine in bondo dust....and metal chips..... :p
Yeah, I'm thinking peanut shells, and stale beer would be more fitting for me then a foo foo finish.

maxwedge
01-15-2006, 10:31 AM
I've pimped out my garage floor in oil and paint stained concrete, with a heavy application of greasy motorcycle and car parts and a few old dry leaves and grass clippings thrown around just to keep things interesting when I break out the welder. :crossx:

riverroyal
01-15-2006, 10:32 AM
a epoxy floor with just one color and "shark skin texture",it showed scratches bad.New house has the granite/marble look,3 different colors mixed together,it is bullet proof,Im real happy with it.It not cheap,i think it was a 4 day process,so get it done before you move stuff in.I hose it off and use squiggie,it cleans up nice.If your garage floor stays clean you house floor will stay clean,your wife will love you,plus its a good selling point

OGShocker
01-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I would like to trick out the garage floor in Havasu, and need opinions of what works and looks best.
Epoxy, tile, etc.
How wild do you want ot get? (http://www.scofield.com/)
World of concrete is on this week in Vegas. (http://www.worldofconcrete.com/WOC2006/public/enter.aspx?left=0)

ThongMagnet
01-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Use indoor/outdoor carpet. It lasts for about 5 years(like your home), and then you throw it away. What do you do when your painted floor falls apart? Carpet baby....carpet!!!

riverracerx
01-15-2006, 12:15 PM
epoxy is awesome. I have it at home, but don't think I would want it for a boat garage. Even with the fleck and added "sand" (whatever they call it?) it still gets slippery. But the biggest thing is that water does not soak in and evaporate into the concrete, so you have to either wait for it to dry up or squeegee it out and towel dry. Otherwise the water sits and eventually dries into white spots on the floor.
But they look nice!

Waist Deep
01-15-2006, 01:30 PM
If you're looking to get a floor done with epoxy at a reasonable cost, pm me. Its my biz.

Throttle
01-15-2006, 01:38 PM
call Aldrich... he's always lookin for an excuse to go out to his place, maybe he can hook ya up....

nhbuoy
01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
...How about spraying the floor with LINE-X, RHINO LINING, etc...???...Tough & skid resistant...

riverracerx
01-15-2006, 04:12 PM
My buddy rhino lined his garage floor. You can't get the dirt out of it without scrubbing. :( But when it is clean it looks cool. Just a pain to clean. hands and knees baby!!