PDA

View Full Version : Ford 460 timing spec

JAY4SPEED
09-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm trying to help a buddy time his iron headed 460 with about 11:1 compression and a tunnel ram. I searched the forums for specs and came up with anywhere from 32 degrees to 40 degrees total advance in by 3000 RPM. Being a Chevy guy, I don't know what the 460 Ford likes. Any gurus out there that can set me straight? Thanks!
Jay

78CoLe
09-04-2006, 05:57 PM
its all trail and error i would start with 35 deg ans go up a degree from thier im at 36/37 ish with my ford with a bigger cam victor jr intake and a flowed out 850 cfm carb the best person to talk to would be lakes only hes the man when it comes to fords

LakesOnly
09-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Jay4speed,
Do you know how this engine gets its 11:1 c/r? Is it with D0VE heads and flat tops? Or D3VE heads and dome tops? 2x4 tunnel ram? What kind of fuel? What dizzy? 11:1 and iron heads is a bit much for today's pump gas.
Without knowing the above particulars, it's hard to recommend an agressive timing spec. Assuming 91 octane pump gas and knowing nothing else, I wouldn't go past 32* BTDC@3000 without looking at the spark plugs, for starters. More ignition advance may be possible, but it depends on the piston/head choice, etc. Find out what's in the engine, because the recommendation will vary from 32* to (as much as) 42* depending on fuel, piston, head, etc. Certain stroker/aluminum head combos will want less advance, believe it or not.
LO

77charger
09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
my 429 ran best with 38degrees total

JAY4SPEED
09-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks fellas,
LO, the only info I have on hand right now is that it has 2x4 tunnel ram with dual 750 Demon TR carbs. He's running a Mallory Unilite distributor. The gas he's running is 75% 110 Unical ras gas / 25% 93 octane mix. I'll have more on the head / piston combo later tonight, but I THINK he may be running pop up pistons don't know for sure or how much. I'll peep though a spark plug hole and see if its a pop up or flat top. He's running cast iron heads that are stock, no port work done. He has the casting numbers for the heads, how can we tell if he has D0VE or D3VE heads? Can that be done from a casting number? Haven't pulled the plugs yet, trying to sort out some other carb float and ignition coil issues first then try and nail down the timing after that.
After I get the other stuff resovled, I'm just looking to get in the ball park and then sneak up on the magic number. I just don't know at what degree to start out.
Thanks,
Jay

LakesOnly
09-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks fellas,
LO, the only info I have on hand right now is that it has 2x4 tunnel ram with dual 750 Demon TR carbs. He's running a Mallory Unilite distributor. The gas he's running is 75% 110 Unocal race gas / 25% 93 octane mix. I'll have more on the head / piston combo later tonight, but I THINK he may be running flat top pistons don't know for sure. I'll peep though a spark plug hole and see if its a pop up or flat top. He's running cast iron heads that are stock, no port work done. He has the casting numbers for the heads, how can we tell if he has D0VE or D3VE heads? Can that be done from a casting number?
Thanks,
Jay
The cylinder head casting numbers are located on the outside of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust ports. Get that exact nummber and, if possible, get a peek at the piston crowns. Lack of portwork will cost some power; this can be addressed on another thread, or later.
Given the concentration of race gas being used, you will likely be able to go past 34BTDC@3000; whether or not you will find more power by doing so is still an unknown. Stay on top of plug readings as you advance timing.
First, get the cylinder head casting numbers and pistons tops...
LO

JAY4SPEED
09-05-2006, 05:42 PM
LO,
He has D3VE-A2A heads still trying to find out the piston.
Thanks,
Jay

LakesOnly
09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Assuming 0.030 overbore 460 w/D3VE heads and flat top OR dish top pistons and race gas, start at 34*BTDC@3000 and work up from there while playing with jetting and timing (and doing plug readings). Because of the race gas, you may likely be able to advance the timing well beyond 34* and find more power, but once engine power doesn't improve (even if it's not pinging), advance no further. (Example: if you find a power gain at 36*, increase to 38* and there is no further gain, then back the timing off to 36*.)
Assuming 0.030 overbore 460 w/D3VE heads and dome top pistons and race gas, start at 36*BTDC@3000 and work up from there while playing with jetting and timing (and doing plug readings). Because of the race gas, you may likely be able to advance the timing beyond 36* and find more power, but once engine power doesn't improve (even if it's not pinging), advance no further. If you really fatten up the jetting, you may find increased power beyond 40*BTDC@3000 & dome top pistons, but be very careful if you venture this far and pay strict attention to plug readings. I will not be held liable if you melt a piston.
D3VE heads and factory dish tops = ~7.8:1 c/r with factory deck height.
D3VE heads and flat tops = ~9.2:1 c/r
D3VE heads and TRW dome tops = ~10.6:1 c/r.
LO

IMPATIENT 1
09-07-2006, 10:37 AM
i'm runnin d3's with .400 dome trws and my total advance is 35. it likes 37 more but i run avgas and 200hp shot so i keep it conservative with the timing.

JAY4SPEED
09-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Understood, thanks fellas for taking the time to help me out!
LO, i verified that he has dish tops trw pistons. I'll go with the advice above for the d3ve with dish tops. Guess he was mistaken with the 11:1 CR. I'll set him up slightly on the conservative side while reading the plugs and finding the sweet spot. I'll have to talk him into letting me send the heads to you for some port work later on if your interested.
Thanks everyone!
Jay