PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods -VS- Ricky Carmichael

DILLIGAF
09-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Last night I had a drunk conversation about these two guys. My neighbor says that RC is a better athlete than Tiger Woods. I disagree and think if TW would have choosen motorcross as a child and went after that he would have been dominate in MX. What do you guys think? Who is the better athlete? Who is more dominate in their sport?

dicudmore
09-04-2006, 06:30 PM
in terms of conditioning RC without a doubt...
how dominant they are in their various sports, damn that is a tough question :220v:

slink
09-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Tom, you are obviously off your meds...................RC all the way. I'll give you that Tiger is the best golfer, but he is no where close to being able to throw around a 250lbs beast for 45 minute motos, half of that time doing it hitting 120' triples. IMHO, golf is more hand-eye-timing than anything else. It would be different if the galleries could yell and scream at them and maybe have some 300lb'er running at them while they are trying to drive :)

slink
09-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I knew "Keys" would be on this like a fat kid on cake :)
Next will be SWB defending Tiger :)

doesitfloat?
09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Tom, you are obviously off your meds...................RC all the way. I'll give you that Tiger is the best golfer, but he is no where close to being able to throw around a 250lbs beast for 45 minute motos, half of that time doing it hitting 120' triples. IMHO, golf is more hand-eye-timing than anything else. It would be different if the galleries could yell and scream at them and maybe have some 300lb'er running at them while they are trying to drive :)
Ditto...I've never heard of a golfer being paralyzed for life brcause he bogeyed a hole. You "bogey" a triple in MX/SX, you might be driving a wheelchair by blowing through a straw.
Also, to just assume that because Tiger's such a great athlete (he is, BTW) that he would dominate in another totally unrelated sport is asinine. Remember a guy named Michael Jordan? How'd that baseball experiment work out? :rolleyes:
Pass the pipe, Dilligaf! :rollside:

slink
09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
How many guys to you compete with directly in a MX race? How many does a golfer compete with every week? I think the golfer palys against apx 144 golfers.
I didn't even try to compare them...my friend who was doing more drinking than me brought it up and tried to substantiate RC as the better athlete. I know there is no correct answer but I can say this: Give RC and TW one year to learn each others sport and TW would do better in MX than RC would at golf. Just a hunch and what I believe.....:) Of course this will never happen
My point exactly......any spoiled country club brat can pick up a set of sticks and go hack, hell I've even done it, but try and grow a set of BALLZ big enough to pre-load the face of a 120' gap..................aint going to happen. BTW, I've ridden MX since I was 9 and wouldn't even try some of the shiat they pull off

Boa1277
09-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Cmon now you truly cant call golfers athletes, yeah they definitely have a skill set but do they have athletic ability, uh no, no way. It does take skill to put it all together and hit a ball as well as golfers hit a ball, but you cannot have the build of some of the best golfers in the world and be considered athletic, EX. Phil (man tits) Mikelson. By the way Tiger has not dominated golf the way RC has dominated motocross, when Tiger has a perfect season, he will be close he just needs to have 2 perfect seasons and then he will be even closer. :crossx:

doesitfloat?
09-04-2006, 06:46 PM
How many guys to you compete with directly in a MX race? How many does a golfer compete with every week? I think the golfer plays against apx 144 golfers.
I..
Tiger's only playing with a foursome and even then they have to be quiet when another is swinging.
Ever see the start (first turn) of a race? 30 guys on 230lb motorcycles going full throttle into a 120 degree turn? That's competition...and balls.
The biggest threat to Tiger is a cell phone going off on his backswing.

slink
09-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Tiger's only playing with a foursome and even then they have to be quiet when another is swinging.
Ever see the start (first turn) of a race? 30 guys on 230lb motorcycles going full throttle into a 120 degree turn? That's competition...and balls.
My better half's ultimate sports fantasy is being in the gallery of a TW match and screaming "JACKAZZ" during his back swing......alaw Happy Gillmore.

slink
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
He is a jackass but that is besides the point :)
no, he is a rich jackazz :) :)

FreeRide
09-04-2006, 07:00 PM
The triples and the first turn are one thing, how about squaring up to, and blitzing a 100 yard long set of knee deep whoops. Thats talent.
In relation, I would say that equates to a hole in one on a 550+ yard par 5.

upsman105
09-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Rc won every single national last year, tw has never won every single match he entered in a year.

doesitfloat?
09-04-2006, 07:04 PM
You qualify as a hater....lol So I get it...you don't consider a golfer an athlete? What about free diving?
I ask the question as it pertains to being dominate in ones sport....
That's a tough one...not sure. I have trouble calling them athletes when I see Jon Daly winning a tournament after a night of smoking, drinking, and gambling!
But I admit that I am a huge Tiger fan. Still, I golf and ride bikes so I think I have a good idea of what each "sport" takes.
I hope you were kidding with the hater comment... :yuk: :rollside:

CornWater
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
That's a tough one...not sure. I have trouble calling them athletes when I see Jon Daly winning a tournament after a night of smoking, drinking, and gambling!
:
Yeah... you'd never see that in MX...
:rolleyes:

Tom Brown
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Ricky is unproven when it comes to being a minority breaking into a sport.
I'm not a big minority rights guy, at all... actually, but there have been clubs... even recently... that had unwritten policies against minorities. Hell, there's probably still some out there. That's some broken shit right there.
It takes some jam to do what Tiger did.
It takes jam to do what Ricky does, but it's a whole different world. I doubt either of them would dominate the other's sport, had they juxtaposed their pursuits at a young age. Both men seem uniquely suited to do what they do.

doesitfloat?
09-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Yeah... you'd never see that in MX...
:rolleyes:
hahaha...show me ONE succesful mx racer that looks like John Daly or Craig Stadler. You can't perform on a bike being that far out of shape.
Also, show me one mx'er who can win a race over 35. There are some great racers (LaRocco) who have to bow out at 35 because of age, injuries, youth, etc.
You can win golf tournaments well into your 40's or even 50's.
No comparison.

TRUMP TIGHT
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Motocross is the second most demanding sport in the world behind soccer and golf is what last?:rolleyes:
Would TW have the nerve to launch himself 120ft with riders in front (which in RC's case he is lapping) in back and on the sides? :idea:
You dont go from a BUICK to daredevil!

doesitfloat?
09-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Here's a couple of pics of some of these great golf athletes (lol):
Daly
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/sorerib/daly1.jpg
Stadler
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/sorerib/Stadler_inside7-29-051.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Tiger and ricky are both kick ass athletes. Some peeps dont think golf and motorcross are not athletic sports but I do...............

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Your right about that but what about football??? That competition and balls and a whole lot more balls. Try running a split dive through the line with no lead blocker. Then tell me how it felt when the linebacker blindsides you....

slowinhavasu
09-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Twenty one years old...twenty MILLION dollar Nike contract.........athlete yes...great person...YES...check out what he does for kids..........
Ricky....beyond belief...but only if you ride, most people don't get it....
Two great athletes, apples and oranges......there both awesome..... :)

Jordy
09-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Many people don't realize how much Tiger upped the bar after his initial breakthough into the PGA scene. Yeah, John Daly and other out of shape types were big into the party scene until Tiger showed up and started kicking their asses. Tiger's weekly regimine consists of cardio and strength training, as well as hitting THOUSANDS of golf balls. Because of that he came onto the scene and blew all the old school pros off the course. If you look back, people were talking about Tiger losing his game after a few years, when in fact, if you look at the numbers he was posting, he was still playing the same game he'd been playing, while everyone else upped thier game and started hitting the gym and taking it more seriously. He's one hell of a competitor when you get down to it.
As far as a comparision between RC and Tiger??? It's hard to say. I do know that, as was pointed out, it's apples and oranges in regards to the mental and physical aspects of it, and turning 20 laps in a ME on a supercross track is a whole different game than playing a round of golf. ;)

djunkie
09-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I vote Tiger Woods cause he has more money. :rollside: :rollside:

WetWillie
09-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I guess hes doing ok!! I guess!! (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&sa=N&resnum=0&q=tiger%20woods%20home&tab=wi)

Tom Brown
09-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Which one do you suppose has the larger penis? :idea:
I'd think Tiger, both flacid and erect, although with much less of an advantage for Tiger when both he and Ricky are erect.
As for which one has bigger balls, I wouldn't even want to take a guess. :confused:

upsman105
09-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Which one do you suppose has the larger penis? :idea:
I'd think Tiger, both flacid and erect, although with much less of an advantage for Tiger when both he and Ricky are erect.
As for which one has bigger balls, I wouldn't even want to take a guess. :confused:
I'm not sure about you Tom. Why would a man want to know this, much less think sooo much about it?????? :confused: :yuk:

ratso
09-05-2006, 03:39 AM
When I think of sports, there are tons of them that I enjoy. Motocross and Supercross takes major balls. People don't understand until they've done it. I have, my son and nephew have... and we did for years until my son was hurt pretty bad in Tennessee during a race when he was landed on in a pileup. We have both had compound fractures, more steel plates and screws and pins in our bodies than I care to count, and I can tell you it is the most physically demanding sport I have ever been involved with in my entire life. Sure, bull riding takes balls too, been there, done that... but that is just pure craziness... and still nowhere near comes to the physical conditioning you need to race motocross. Give Tiger a year to learn it... that is a freakin' joke. I know guys that have ridden since they were 3 years old and still won't pin it over a hundred foot triple or nail some knarly whoop section. There are plenty of sports I enjoy, whether it's playing them or watching them on tv... pool, bowling, bull riding, tennis if hot chicks are playing, mud or jello wrestling if hot chicks are doing it... is stripping a sport? Some of those chicks have some real talent... more so than Tiger I would say... and of course football... Go Cowboys. Is Tiger dominant in his sport? Definitely... but those kinds of spoorts, even though I enjoy a lot of them, have for the most part, been created for pussys. Motocross and those types are for the adrenaline junkies that get off to facing almost certain injuries, and too often crippling ones, and even death. Tiger would have a better shot dominating the UFC... If you haven't done it all, you really have no business even commenting in this thread... :boxingguy :D

HOSS
09-05-2006, 04:29 AM
Daly can`t play unless he`s drinking. I sure do wish he`d get back on the juice. Sober he thinks too much about each shot.

ratso
09-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Damn....go get your 7th cup of coffee this AM....lol
:)
Dang RedBulls!!! :D

Dribble
09-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Ricky Carmichael is better at motocross then Tiger Woods is at golf.
My .02

Tom Slick
09-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Motocross is the second most demanding sport in the world behind soccer and golf is what last?:rolleyes:
Would TW have the nerve to launch himself 120ft with riders in front (which in RC's case he is lapping) in back and on the sides? :idea:
You dont go from a BUICK to daredevil!
Your stats are almost correct, but it was scientifically proven years ago that motocross is the #1 most physically demanding sport in the world, even over soccer now. I personally played soccer and raced motocross since I was 6 years old and can attest that MX is far more physically demanding then soccer. Soccer however did help to give me better lungs for MX, as the cardiovascular endurance gained from playing competitive soccer is unparalleled.
As for RC vs. TW, this is the most ridiculous comparison I have every heard of and it's not even worth my time to comment on that one.

Tom Brown
09-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Daly can`t play unless he`s drinking. I sure do wish he`d get back on the juice. Sober he thinks too much about each shot.
That's exactly how I describe you and ***boat posting.

ChumpChange
09-05-2006, 07:04 AM
But I admit that I am a huge Tiger fan. Still, I golf and ride bikes so I think I have a good idea of what each "sport" takes.
I hope you were kidding with the hater comment... :yuk: :rollside:
I've walked 18 holes before and I can tell you, it's tough and tiring. To be able to have the same swing on the 18th as on the 1st takes talent. If you have never seen Tiger in person, you won't realize just how tough and strong this guy is. He IS an athlete.
Some people don't call NASCAR drivers athletes, wouldn't they be in the same category as MX riders? Both are just controlling a vehicle. They are both physical, both considered sports.
Let's see a MX rider drink as much as Daly and then run the laps.....don't think so. That would be the true test. :)

Tom Slick
09-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks for your comment.....
:)
Actually it is worth a comment in respect to both of these athletes. They are both the best in their respective sports, and RC is the GOAT (Greatest of all Time) in motocross. Most would say that I'm not to shabby on a MX bike, but myself and any others that have played with me would agree that I'm not very good on the links. This is where I can say that having participated in both golf and MX, I can give it up to both, as they are the best at what they do and that golf requires a totally different skill set, however the skills that TW has are unreal.

Tom Slick
09-05-2006, 07:26 AM
[QUOTE=ChumpChange]
Some people don't call NASCAR drivers athletes, wouldn't they be in the same category as MX riders? Both are just controlling a vehicle. They are both physical, both considered sports.
QUOTE]
Race car drivers are athletes, but no way is their athleticism comparable to that of a motocross racer.
Race car drivers have to maintain a high level of concentration, sometimes for up to 4-5 hours and sit in a cockpit that can reach temperatures of up to 150 degrees. They also have to handle G-forces on there bodies lap after lap. Try running 200mph, just inches from 40 other cars in high temperatures for 4 hours while sustaining up to 3 G's.
For people that have never raced motocross, I try to explain it to them like this:
Try running a full sprint for 30 minutes, while curling a 50 pound weight and being chased by a gang down a dark alley, all the while trying to control a vehicle that requires you to hold on with your hands and legs, operate a clutch lever on the left hand, twist a throttle and pull a front brake lever with the left hand, shift gears with the left foot shift pedal and operate the rear brake with your right foot. Do all of these things, as well as dealing with track conditions changing every lap, mud and rocks being thrown in your face for 30 minutes and dealing with the heat and pressure to win. This is motocross, and if you don't believe me, give it a try someday, or at least if you're to much of a puss to try it your self, head out to Glen Helen this Sunday and watch the best in the world do this on the roughest track on the circuit.

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 07:33 AM
I've walked 18 holes before and I can tell you, it's tough and tiring. :
LOL...that about sums it up. I've walked 18 holes...hahaha
Sorry CC but I might have to make this my signature!!!!
Like someone else said, unless you've pitched a 230 lb motorcycle around for 20 minutes in a race atmosphere, then you have no idea how exhausting it is.
This thread is hilarious.
Has there been one guy on here who actually rides who thinks there's any comparison? No, it's all the guys who have never ridden competitively...

little rowe boat
09-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Golf is not a sport, it is a hobby that requires a lot of skill . Tiger is very skilled at his hobby but RC is definately the better athlete.

ChumpChange
09-05-2006, 07:54 AM
LOL...that about sums it up. I've walked 18 holes...hahaha
Sorry CC but I might have to make this my signature!!!!
No worries, I'm built like John Daly, not Tiger. Of course it's going to be tiring for me.

Ziggy
09-05-2006, 08:08 AM
!
Each are spectacular in their respective sports, comparing the two of them is like apples and oranges.

CornWater
09-05-2006, 08:18 AM
hahaha...show me ONE succesful mx racer that looks like John Daly or Craig Stadler. You can't perform on a bike being that far out of shape.
Also, show me one mx'er who can win a race over 35. There are some great racers (LaRocco) who have to bow out at 35 because of age, injuries, youth, etc.
You can win golf tournaments well into your 40's or even 50's.
No comparison.
Yeah... you're probably right, but that is not what you said in the statement I was referring to. I was referring to the smoking, drinking, gambling comment.

HOSS
09-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Golf as a sport is like bowling is a sport. Next your gonna tell me Bench racing is a sport along with lawnmower racing. Is cactus cramming a sport? Its funny as hell I know that much. :idea:

Caribbean Jet
09-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Both of these guys are awsome at what they do. They are both at the top of their games and there isn't much competition for either. As for comparing them you can't really do that. They are both setting records in each of thier sports in which no one will ever catch. I enjoy watching both of them and will be very bummed when Ricky retires.

rlj676
09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Although what RC has done is amazing, he is the greatest of all time at a sport that is really only pursued by a limited demographic. Would someone have come along better if MX was a mainstream sport? This doesn't really have much to do with the question of this thread, but it's something I always wonder about with people like RC, Tony Hawk, etc. Where as Tiger Woods is playing a sport that damn near everyone has taken a crack at and he is the best.

ratso
09-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Although what RC has done is amazing, he is the greatest of all time at a sport that is really only pursued by a limited demographic. Would someone have come along better if MX was a mainstream sport? This doesn't really have much to do with the question of this thread, but it's something I always wonder about with people like RC, Tony Hawk, etc. Where as Tiger Woods is playing a sport that damn near everyone has taken a crack at and he is the best.
Have you ever gone to the local racetrack and see just how many entries there are at these races... and these are kids from age 4 up through adults with vet races into the 50's and 60's age groups... and that's just motocross. Then you have Cross Country and Hare Scrambles and Flat Trackers... just to mention a few. I would guess we outnumber golfers... but that's just a guess... :idea:
Then you have the elite outstanding few that can actually compete in Arenacross, the Nationals, and Supercross.
So many of these riders don't just "take a crack at it"... it's also a family oriented sport where you don't just have a handful of guys out for an afternoon to get away from the old lady... :D

Dribble
09-05-2006, 04:56 PM
How many 60 year old men do you see racing an outdoor national? How many women of any age? I can walk eighteen holes no problem but can only manage about four laps on the Hangtown track before I need an angioplasty.

lewiville
09-05-2006, 05:00 PM
I like Tiger, however RC is a true athlete. everything from endurance to cordination.

ratso
09-05-2006, 05:02 PM
How many 60 year old men do you see racing an outdoor national? How many women of any age? I can walk eighteen holes no problem but can only manage about four laps on the Hangtown track before I need an angioplasty.
...I said local... and they do have vet championships... I should know, I was Texas State Vet Champ in 01 I'll have you know, and that was at the age of 40. :D
Women... at the local level as in GNC Nationals... a few. As I said, if you haven't done it all you have no business acting like you know what you are talking about. :idea:

ratso
09-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Dribble... no offense... just ranting. :D

ChumpChange
09-05-2006, 05:04 PM
...I said local... and they do have vet championships... I should know, I was Texas State Vet Champ in 01 I'll have you know, and that was at the age of 40. :D
Women... at the local level as in GNC Nationals... a few. As I said, if you haven't done it all you have no business acting like you know what you are talking about. :idea:
Gee Ratso, I think he was defending your position. Look what he quoted when he stated that.

rlj676
09-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Have you ever gone to the local racetrack and see just how many entries there are at these races... and these are kids from age 4 up through adults with vet races into the 50's and 60's age groups... and that's just motocross. Then you have Cross Country and Hare Scrambles and Flat Trackers... just to mention a few. I would guess we outnumber golfers... but that's just a guess... :idea:
Then you have the elite outstanding few that can actually compete in Arenacross, the Nationals, and Supercross.
So many of these riders don't just "take a crack at it"... it's also a family oriented sport where you don't just have a handful of guys out for an afternoon to get away from the old lady... :D
There are alot of people riding dirtbikes, but it doesn't compare to the number of golfers. You said it, "go to the local track". There is not a local track many places. Sothern California may have them in a drivable distance for everyone but it is certainly not that way in most of the country. I had a dirtbike as a kid, and would have liked to race, but there was no local track within a reasonable drive. So I settled for BMX. Next, people say golf is expensive, well not in comparison to ANY motorsport, so that is limiting the field greatly. There is no way that all forms of motorcylce racing combined outnumber golfers. I'm not taking away from what RC has done, but he is not competing against the same size of field as Tiger Woods. And I'd argue that there are plenty of men out riding trails on a weekend to get away from the ladies just as they are on a golfcourse. Just as only the best are in a national level of racing, only the best golfers are in the PGA. My point is that the percentage of PGA cardholders to golfers is way, way lower than pro-racers out of all racers.

Racer277
09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
IMHO what is not being appreciated when you watch RC, TW, VRossi, MSchumacher, MJordan, etc is that when they transcend the sport to become the GOAT, it is not just determination, dedication, ect. It is a culmination of those facets (and many more) plus the rare occurance of an athlete who is 'built' for that sport.
At the levels of NBA, F1, NFL, the scouts look at everything from dick size to bone and muscle structure to ensure the athlete they are reviewing is properly built for their sport.
If TW, or MJordan tried MX, they would be another also ran, very fast local Pro. Determination and dedication take you so far, but only so far. These guys simply don't have the mechanical makeup to be champion racers. Many other factors are involved (including family assistance, timing, geographic location) etc. When you watch Rossi or Schumi dominate, you are watching all of these factors come together at once, and you will not see that again soon.
For example, Tiger Woods would never be an F1 champ, no matter how hard he worked. He is simply too tall. End of discussion.
I'm not a stick and ball guy, but I don't think RC is built for Golf either. (could be wrong).
I do know guys that started playing golf in their 30's and became pro. That will not happen in MX/SX.
There are many fast one time champs and top 10 guys in every sport, but few transcend. It's more than just the athlete's work that gets them there.

ratso
09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Gee Ratso, I think he was defending your position. Look what he quoted when he stated that.
Hey CC... I was more replying about the 60 year old men and the women... I'm just giving Dribble a little Hell on a sport I stand in awe of just by seeing the progress of the sport itself and how far some of these riders have come with Freestyle with backflips (which I think is insane)... the sport is simply awesome.
Golf... well... you still just knock a ball in a hole... been that way forever, and the only improvements ever made is when someone like Tiger comes along... and he just knocks a ball in a hole a little more efficiently. :rollside: :)

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I can use this same argument against Tiger with golf! How many inner city youth are playing golf? You know, the inner city youth that make up probably 60% of all NBA & NFL athletes. The answer is very few...because of cost and availability of courses to the poor black kid in Detroit. That same kid can go on to play basketball.
So, basically, Tiger plays against a limited demographic also. He plays against the kids raised with money and privelege (like he was). Just because his sport is all over TV doesn't mean that everyone is playing it.

ratso
09-05-2006, 05:14 PM
IMHO what is not being appreciated when you watch RC, TW, VRossi, MSchumacher, MJordan, etc is that when they transcend the sport to become the GOAT, it is not just determination, dedication, ect. It is a culmination of those facets (and many more) plus the rare occurance of an athlete who is 'built' for that sport.
At the levels of NBA, F1, NFL, the scouts look at everything from dick size to bone and muscle structure to ensure the athlete they are reviewing is properly built for their sport.
If TW, or MJordan tried MX, they would be another also ran, very fast local Pro. Determination and dedication take you so far, but only so far. These guys simply don't have the mechanical makeup to be champion racers. Many other factors are involved (including family assistance, timing, geographic location) etc. When you watch Rossi or Schumi dominate, you are watching all of these factors come together at once, and you will not see that again soon.
For example, Tiger Woods would never be an F1 champ, no matter how hard he worked. He is simply too tall. End of discussion.
I'm not a stick and ball guy, but I don't think RC is built for Golf either. (could be wrong).
I do know guys that started playing golf in their 30's and became pro. That will not happen in MX/SX.
There are many fast one time champs and top 10 guys in every sport, but few transcend. It's more than just the athlete's work that gets them there.
Dick size...lol... maybe in the bar scene but not so much in sports... still lol. :D

Racer277
09-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Dick size...lol... maybe in the bar scene but not so much in sports... still lol. :D
Well not in MX or MotoGP, Yet....
:boxed:

rlj676
09-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I can use this same argument against Tiger with golf! How many inner city youth are playing golf? You know, the inner city youth that make up probably 60% of all NBA & NFL athletes. The answer is very few...because of cost and availability of courses to the poor black kid in Detroit. That same kid can go on to play basketball.
So, basically, Tiger plays against a limited demographic also. He plays against the kids raised with money and privelege (like he was). Just because his sport is all over TV doesn't mean that everyone is playing it.
I think you are missing my point. I'm not taking away from how hard racing is, I've ridden, and I suck at it and it's absurdly difficult. However, it is a very limited population that gets the opportunity to even try it. I'm not saying golf is the world's sport and everyone has a chance to play it. But I live in Detroit actually, and couldn't point out one track, but there are golf courses everywhere, and public ones are cheaper than any motorcycle period. BUT THIS IS NOT MY POINT. My point is of any athlete who dominates a smaller sport, would they remain on top if a normal percent of the population were able to try it. For example, maybe you would have been the greatest luger (sp?) of all time, but you've probably never had a chance to sit your butt on some crazy ice chute thing and try it, I haven't.
As to money and privelage only playing golf, that may or may not be true but it can't compare to the expense of racing, but that's not what I'm asking. I don't see any inner-city tracks so I don't see how this concerns my question.

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Let's put this whole thread into perspective:
Tiger could go ride a motorcycle around a closed course as a very good way to get/keep in shape for golf.
RC walking 4 rounds of golf over 4 days is NOT going to help him stay in riding shape.

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I think you are missing my point. I'm not taking away from how hard racing is, I've ridden, and I suck at it and it's absurdly difficult. However, it is a very limited population that gets the opportunity to even try it. I'm not saying golf is the world's sport and everyone has a chance to play it. But I live in Detroit actually, and couldn't point out one track, but there are golf courses everywhere, and public ones are cheaper than any motorcycle period. BUT THIS IS NOT MY POINT. My point is of any athlete who dominates a smaller sport, would they remain on top if a normal percent of the population were able to try it. For example, maybe you would have been the greatest luger (sp?) of all time, but you've probably never had a chance to sit your butt on some crazy ice chute thing and try it, I haven't.
As to money and privelage only playing golf, that may or may not be true but it can't compare to the expense of racing, but that's not what I'm asking. I don't see any inner-city tracks so I don't see how this concerns my question.
I'm agreeing with you that there isn't any inner city riding...but there isn't any inner city golfing either. Both sports have a limited demographic of participants. I'm using your argument to say that if you outfitted every young inner city athlete with golf clubs and greens fees (and a course!) that there might 5 Tiger Woods'. Again, I was saying your observation apllies to golf just as easily as it applies to MX. You might be right about RC being bested by someone else if MX was more mainstream...but the same goes for Tiger. Just because golf is on TV every weekend doesn't make it mainstream demographically. It's main stream among middle to upper class white America but not lower class America (all races).
Regarding golf courses being so visible while tracks aren't: Golf is a visable sport while riding is almost always done away from the cities and crowds whether it's trails or tracks. This is by design because of noise complaints (or because that's where trails are...in the mountains). So, just because your eyes tell you that there are more golf courses than riding areas doesn't mean that this is true.

rlj676
09-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm agreeing with you that there isn't any inner city riding...but there isn't any inner city golfing either. Both sports have a limited demographic of participants. I'm using your argument to say that if you outfitted every young inner city athlete with golf clubs and greens fees (and a course!) that there might 5 Tiger Woods'. Again, I was saying your observation apllies to golf just as easily as it applies to MX. You might be right about RC being bested by someone else if MX was more mainstream...but the same goes for Tiger. Just because golf is on TV every weekend doesn't make it mainstream demographically. It's main stream among middle to upper class white America but not lower class America (all races).
Regarding golf courses being so visible while tracks aren't: Golf is a visable sport while riding is almost always done away from the cities and crowds whether it's trails or tracks. This is by design because of noise complaints (or because that's where trails are...in the mountains). So, just because your eyes tell you that there are more golf courses than riding areas doesn't mean that this is true.
I'm not basing my opinion on my eyes only, but on all the data. I have participated in both, and golf is a hundred times more accessible for most. Although your life may center around riding and your kids racing (judging from your avatar) most peoples can't. Golf is a much less demanding recreation and has many more participants period. Go to your yellowpages and look at golf shops and courses, than at MX tracks and dealers, no comparison I'm sure. AGAIN, NOT MY POINT. My point is totally outside of "golf vs. MX," that's just where I brought up my point of we may be missing out on some of the best naturals at sports like MX because people don't get a chance to try it. Since you seem offended by the use of MX as an example, I will restate it this way. Maybe we have not seen the best natural ski-jumper because few get a chance to try it (or have the balls to). Obviously this could be true of golf, or even basketball; but the percentage of the population who can try racing (or ski-jumping) is very, very low compared to even golf, which you seem to feel is for blue bloods only, it's not. Also, your very point that riding is done far away from cities indicates it's not easily accessible. Although my point doesn't hinge on how many more golfers there are, I would bet anything there are far more than people who race, not just have, a dirtbike.
I feel you would have a hard time getting anyone to agree that MX has more participants than golf, but maybe I'm wrong.

HM
09-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Tiger's I.Q. is waaaayyyyy tooooooo high for MX. I think they have a 75 I.Q. max. :crossx:

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm not basing my opinion on my eyes only, but on all the data. I have participated in both, and golf is a hundred times more accessible for most. Although your life may center around riding and your kids racing (judging from your avatar) most peoples can't. Golf is a much less demanding recreation and has many more participants period. Go to your yellowpages and look at golf shops and courses, than at MX tracks and dealers, no comparison I'm sure. AGAIN, NOT MY POINT. My point is totally outside of "golf vs. MX," that's just where I brought up my point of we may be missing out on some of the best naturals at sports like MX because people don't get a chance to try it. Since you seem offended by the use of MX as an example, I will restate it this way. Maybe we have not seen the best natural ski-jumper because few get a chance to try it (or have the balls to). Obviously this could be true of golf, or even basketball; but the percentage of the population who can try racing (or ski-jumping) is very, very low compared to even golf, which you seem to feel is for blue bloods only, it's not. Also, your very point that riding is done far away from cities indicates it's not easily accessible. Although my point doesn't hinge on how many more golfers there are, I would bet anything there are far more than people who race, not just have, a dirtbike.
I feel you would have a hard time getting anyone to agree that MX has more participants than golf, but maybe I'm wrong.
Chill, RL...I am not offended by anything that you wrote. I'm enjoying it because you write well and with some thought.
Don't assume anything. I don't live for riding nor do my kids race (not yet, anyway). In fact, I've played more rounds of golf that I have days riding.
Oh, and just for fun, I went to the Boise Yellow pages and did what you suggested. Guess what? 3 1/2 pages for golf and 3 1/2 pages for motorcycles. Sorry to beat you over the head with facts :yuk: :)

rlj676
09-05-2006, 06:10 PM
You are correct sir :)
Just curious...RC is the GOAT, right? He makes what, maybe $5-$10 million a year? I really don't have much of a clue and took my best guess.
TW makes something in the "hood" of $60-80 million a year, maybe $100 million?
Hmmmmmmmmmm
I guess that answers the mainstream question......
That's because only the richest 1% play golf :boxed:

rlj676
09-05-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm a little surprised by the number of motorcyle listings, but take into account that is mostly selling to people who will never race. Everyone who golfs, nearly anyways, plays golf. You know, with some score, competition etc. I would assume that the number of motorcycle riders altogether competes with golfers, just not motorcycle racers.

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:16 PM
You are correct sir :)
Just curious...RC is the GOAT, right? He makes what, maybe $5-$10 million a year? I really don't have much of a clue and took my best guess.
Hmmmmmmmmmm
I guess that answers the mainstream question......
Ummm, no, that answers the question of who has the wealthier audience (clearly golf): mostly middle aged, middle to upper class white guys for golf.
.Regardless..and there's no denying that golf is more mainstream than riding...that wasn't the point. The point is that golf isn't exactly "open to everyone" from the beginning like basketball or football is. It has it's own demographic limitations which could prevent another Tiger from competing with...well...Tiger!

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Boise :rolleyes:
jk
:yuk:
BTW, I knew this was coming :)

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I might agree with that statement but I still think more people golf than ride bikes. As far as professionals there are much more professional golfers than MX riders. Look at the number of competitors in the field concerning any given race -vs- any given golf tournament.
.......SIGH.......I agree, that's not what we were arguing about. Golf is bigger but it still has it's limitations from being played by everyone from their childhood (just like bikes).

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
I can see you haven't been to a golf course lately. Oooooppppssss, I forgot you live in Boise :)
lol...yeah, when was the last time you were here? It's all Californians!!!
On my block alone, it's 85% Californians from the last two years. This place is soooooo backwards that everyone's moving here.
Now 'scuse me while I go tend to my potato farm... :notam:

rlj676
09-05-2006, 06:28 PM
You just made the other guys point! He was saying that RC has more of a limited competitior pool whereas golf has more competition.
True, but my point isn't even just about MX, it's about all "smaller" sports. The less access everyone has to it, the less likely the true "natural" has even tried it. If everyone (who's athletic) tried MX, there may be someone doing things that make RC look slow and Pastrana and gang's tricks look easy. I doubt it, but it's interesting to think about for me.

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:31 PM
You just made the other guys point! He was saying that RC has more of a limited competitior pool whereas golf has more competition.
What are you smoking?
Originally Posted by doesitfloat?
.......SIGH.......I agree, that's not what we were arguing about. Golf is bigger but it still has it's limitations from being played by everyone from their childhood (just like bikes).
Way back about 23 pages ago he said that MX has a small pool of riders therefore how truly dominating is RC? (I'm paraphrasing).
I came back with the same could be said about golf's (Tiger's) competition being limited (never compared actual sizes as I know golf is bigger).
Go back a few and reread. And who even cares by now...I've got so much friggen work to do and I'm on here having an internet argument!!!
Someone please break out the retard pic so it'll inspire me to get back to work!!!! :cry: :)

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:34 PM
HAHA...There is a chance I might come up with my buddy to watch his son play a football game. He is a freshman at Utah State and I believe they come in to play Boise State. I won't be coming unless I know he will be playing though. It may have to wait till 2008 as I am sure they flip-flop the location each year. More CA invading ID
Well, if you come, I'd love to hoist a beer w/ ya. I go to most of the games (they're a blast). The tailgating is great. Good combination of smaller town sports attitude with some national success.

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:37 PM
November 18...Utah St at Boise.

doesitfloat?
09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
. The facts are that the competition pool each week is bigger for professional golf than professional MX.
I never said differently!
Anyway, good night Dill and RLJ. My fingers hurt.

mbrown2
09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I tend to view the impact of an athlete by the age of the records they break along with how big their sport is.........the bigger the sport and the older the record the bigger impact they have as an athlete on their sport .....
Ricky is breaking records that are 10 years old or less when McGrath set them....McGrath broke records that Ward, Johnson or Hannah set....Great accomplishments in a young sport that is obviously increasing its parity as it grows and matures....
Tiger is breaking records that are more then 40-50 years old in a sport that has far more competition on a global scale.
Atheliticism can't be compared as it takes different skills and body's for the different sports, but when questioning more impact on a sport, I would definitely say it is Tiger.....

ChumpChange
09-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Forbes published the highest paid athletes 2005 money a couple weeks ago. It went something like this:
Tiger $96,000,000
Phil $45,000,000
Shaq $38,000,000
Kobe $37,750,000
Carson $33,000,000
Lebron $31,000,000
This year, Tiger will most likely become the first athlete to ever make over $100,000,000 in a year. No wonder he can afford all those nice houses. And when you think about it, he makes the most money, gives the most back and is definitely the most educated. Got to love the guy.

tcook33
09-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Ricky has had 2 PERFECT seasons.
I have yet to see Tiger have a PERFECT season.
Ricky has never lost an outdoor championship.
I don't think the same can be said about Tiger.
I am NOT comparing the sports whatsoever. I am comparing the 2 players in respect to their individual accomplishments in that sport.
BTW, I golf frequently AND I ride MX.

tcook33
09-06-2006, 11:01 AM
i thought tattooed mx thugs from the valley weren't allowed on the links ??? :rolleyes: :rollside: keyes
You thought wrong biatch! We run that shi t dawg! :p
Just kidding. Ur right. I wear long sleeves...... :) :cool:

ratso
09-06-2006, 12:35 PM
MXers get laid more by a lot of hot chicks... like Rock Stars and Nascar drivers... hot young juicy delicious young chicks... :D
...and yes I saw Tigers chick... in MX, chicks like that are a dime a dozen.

ChumpChange
09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
MXers get laid more by a lot of hot chicks... like Rock Stars and Nascar drivers... hot young juicy delicious young chicks... :D
...and yes I saw Tigers chick... in MX, chicks like that are a dime a dozen.
Speaking of Dimes....I didn't see an MX riders on the Forbes list. :idea: I guess MX riders are used to smoking dimes instead of making them. :D

Tom Slick
09-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Forbes published the highest paid athletes 2005 money a couple weeks ago. It went something like this:
Tiger $96,000,000
Phil $45,000,000
Shaq $38,000,000
Kobe $37,750,000
Carson $33,000,000
Lebron $31,000,000
This year, Tiger will most likely become the first athlete to ever make over $100,000,000 in a year. No wonder he can afford all those nice houses. And when you think about it, he makes the most money, gives the most back and is definitely the most educated. Got to love the guy.
Was Forbes reffering to the highest paid athletes in America? I believe that Ferrari F1 driver Michael Schumacher is the highest paid athlete in the world?

ChumpChange
09-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Was Forbes reffering to the highest paid athletes in America? I believe that Ferrari F1 driver Michael Schumacher is the highest paid athlete in the world?
Here is the 2004 List in order, I'm looking for the 2005 again.
TOP 10 HIGHEST-PAID ATHLETES CELEBRITY 100 POWER RANK EARNINGS
#1 Tiger Woods (golf) #2 $80.3 million
#2 Michael Schumacher (auto racing) #16 $80.0 million
#3 Peyton Manning (football) #25 $42.0 million
#4 Michael Jordan (basketball) #7 $35.0 million
#5 Shaquille O'Neal (basketball) #29 $31.9 million
#6 Kevin Garnett (basketball) #38 $29.7 million
#7 Andre Agassi (tennis) #33 $28.2 million
#8 David Beckham (soccer) #22 $28.0 million
#9 Alex Rodriguez (baseball) #32 $26.2 million
#10 Kobe Bryant (basketball) #18 $26.1 million

Tom Slick
09-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Here is the 2004 List in order, I'm looking for the 2005 again.
TOP 10 HIGHEST-PAID ATHLETES CELEBRITY 100 POWER RANK EARNINGS
#1 Tiger Woods (golf) #2 $80.3 million
#2 Michael Schumacher (auto racing) #16 $80.0 million
#3 Peyton Manning (football) #25 $42.0 million
#4 Michael Jordan (basketball) #7 $35.0 million
#5 Shaquille O'Neal (basketball) #29 $31.9 million
#6 Kevin Garnett (basketball) #38 $29.7 million
#7 Andre Agassi (tennis) #33 $28.2 million
#8 David Beckham (soccer) #22 $28.0 million
#9 Alex Rodriguez (baseball) #32 $26.2 million
#10 Kobe Bryant (basketball) #18 $26.1 million
I wonder why he isn't on the current list, as I know he got another huge pay raise? Oh well.

ratso
09-06-2006, 01:50 PM
just a rumor i heard, that tiger's "driver" is much bigger than most mxr's "kick-stand" :argue:
I'm afraid that might throw some MXers off through the whoops... :rolleyes:

ratso
09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I wonder why he isn't on the current list, as I know he got another huge pay raise? Oh well.
Frikkin' Gaywads...practically every one of them play with balls! :idea:

ChumpChange
09-06-2006, 01:55 PM
It's all about the endorsements. Tiger only made about $10,000,000 playing golf so Shumacher may have one of the largest salaries.

tcook33
09-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I would stack Tiger the athlete up against just about anybody in terms of athleticism.
Anybody that thinks golf isn't a sport has never hit a golf ball. Or hit it properly.
HAHA! I've hit a golf ball and I've hit it properly. I can consistently shoot in the high 70's - low 80's.
Golf is definitley a sport, and a very difficult one at that. Probably, the most difficult (MENTALLY) sport there is. It is also very difficult (PHYSICALLY). It is by far NOT the most difficult sport in terms of athletecism.
Tiger doesnt even compare to Ricky in terms of athletecism. Put it this way. Most of the top pros in any sport are pretty talented. Most can do just about anything. Ricky could start up golf next year and theres a good chance he get on the PGA tour (maybe SENIOR :p ). But, hed probably make it because he's talented and golf takes talent and a lot of mental strength. He's got both. Doesnt take much physical conditioning and strength to get on the tour. I mean, theres 50 year olds on tour. RC has what it takes. Now, put Tiger on a motorcycle (give him as long as you want to learn and train) and theres a good chance he couldnt hang with a novice on a local track, let alone make a National or night program at a SX.
To sum it all up. Tiger is "THE SH*T" when it comes to "making money" and being the best golfer in the world. Sh*t, guarantee he's got the rest of the sports field beat mentally also. Physically, Tiger is one of the most fit athletes on tour. Is he as fit as Ricky? Not a chance in hell. Ricky is "THE SH*T" when it comes to being an athlete PHYSICALLY. No one can touch him. He's one of the most talented individuals to walk the planet. You need a pretty strong mind game to compete and win consistently also.
Better Athlete - Trick question
Mosty dominate in their sport - RC

tcook33
09-06-2006, 07:48 PM
No doubt, golf is not the most difficult sport in the world, but many people think it's easy. High 70s-Low 80s is alright, but I'm playing a different game than you and realistically, you would probably never beat me. ;)
As for somebody "picking up" the game and making it on tour, that's just wishful thinking. There's thousands, tens of thousands, of really, really great golfers that will never make a cent playing professional golf.
I think golf is far from easy. Probably one of the most difficult. I wasn't comparing me to you in terms of ability to play the game. I was referring to the comment about being able to play golf or even hit a golf ball. And I actually do BOTH, I just dont have a first hand opinion on ONE of the sports. And I do pretty well in BOTH (at least I think I do :p ).
Does golf compare to MX? Not even close. Apples and oranges. Does Tiger dominate his respective sport as RC does? Not a chance. Not even close.
Take nothing from Tiger though, he is the best to play the game, IMO.
You are right, it IS wishful thinking. There are plenty of golfers who will never make it. They might all have the physical game down, but it's the mental part of the game that will bring them to the next level. It is wishful thinking because I think that RC is a great athlete and could probably do whatever it took to excel at his respective activity. Do I think that Tiger could ride a dirt bike as well as RC could golf? I doubt it. That's another subject though.

bignet
09-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Tiger is playing otherwordly right now,and I can't understand why there's so many f*in haters out there just praying he blows an ACL or something. Watching him is pretty cool, considering we are are witnessing the Jack Nicklaus of our era......Pretty impressive company. :crossx:

pattymelt18
09-06-2006, 08:32 PM
IF YOU WANT TOSEE WHOSE MORE PHSICALLY,MENTALLY FIT OR BETTER ATHLETE LETS SEE.
1.RICKY RIDES THREE 50 MINUTE MOTOS A DAY ON TRACKS.
2.TIGER WOODS WORKS OUT FOUR HOURS A DAY.
3.THE AVERAGE HEARTBEAT DOING A 5 LAP MOTO WOULD GET OVER 200 BEATS PER MINUTE RICKYS NOT OVER 90.
4. TIGER WOODS CAN DRAW A STRAIGHT LINE ACROSS HIS BALL 360 DEGREES WALKING INTO THE FINALROUND OF A MAJOR NUMEROUS TIMES.
THERE BOTH PRETTY FING AWESOME AT WHAT THEY DO. :)

HM
09-06-2006, 08:51 PM
HAHA! I've hit a golf ball and I've hit it properly. I can consistently shoot in the high 70's - low 80's.
I call bullshit on your scores. That is not how someone describes their game that can actually produce those scores. Someone who consistently shoots has an established handicap - all others are full of shit. Come on out to Canyon Lake and prove me wrong...I need to get out on the course! And make some quick casheeeesh.
You should be able to kick my ass as I am just a 13.3 :D

pattymelt18
09-06-2006, 09:13 PM
10.12 LETS ROLL :220v:

HM
09-06-2006, 09:21 PM
10.12 LETS ROLL :220v:
Bring it! :D

tcook33
09-07-2006, 04:38 AM
I call bullshit on your scores. That is not how someone describes their game that can actually produce those scores. Someone who consistently shoots has an established handicap - all others are full of shit. Come on out to Canyon Lake and prove me wrong...I need to get out on the course! And make some quick casheeeesh.
You should be able to kick my ass as I am just a 13.3 :D
You're right. I'm a liar. Blow me.
And the only reason I'm going anywhere near Canyon Lake is if I have a dirt bike in the back of my truck. Sorry.