PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!!

dty4888
09-05-2006, 07:29 AM
I recently bought a cee bee avenger at a garage sale. The motor runs good, but when you drop the hammer, the engine revs up but the boat doesn't gain any speed. It also starts vibrating a fair amount. After the first time, we found a plastic bag that had been sucked up, but after we removed it, it still acted the same. Any ideas as to what could be my problem?

QuickJet
09-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Sounds like something is still stuck in the pump. I had the same problem with the exact same symptoms and it ended up being a rock stuck in my intake scoop (grate). Get under the boat and check it out.

Squirtcha?
09-05-2006, 08:07 AM
I'd be inclined to agree with quickjet. If it were just slipping I'd guess it was time for a rebuild. The vibration makes me think otherwise. That's usually either something stuck in the pump, or possibly a chunk missing out of your impeller. I'd check it again with a nice bright light to be sure.

Avenger 1975
09-05-2006, 08:38 AM
I agree as well. I had the same problem, asked a bunch of questions here, finally found a clump of weeds in the intake. You can't just assume you will see it in the hand hole, look up the intake to be sure. Hopefully that's all it is and not a broken impeller.
What year is the Avenger?

dty4888
09-05-2006, 09:26 AM
I've checked from both sides and it seemed clear, although Ill certainly check again. If it's not debris, what's my next move? I didn't give much for it and am still tracking down the tittle. Don't know much of anything about the boat except for the previous few owners. Supposedly the previous owner was using it and blew the engine. He replaced it but had not got a chance to use it, and then had to move and needed to sell it. I figured out the make by looking at pictures on the net, but have no idea what year.

dty4888
09-05-2006, 09:31 AM
can you find used impellers for cheap

centerhill condor
09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
sometimes the debris gets in between the impeller and the bowl..only one way to check..that's right remove the bowl..I've heard of all kinds of crazy things, beer cans, plastic bags, you name it..small enough to get past the wheel but too big to go all the way out! also, I've seen pics of rocks stuck in between the blades at the rear. Have you tried oars?

Oldsquirt
09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Checking down through the hand hole and up through the intake are good starting points. Just because you don't find anything there doesn't mean there isn't something stuck in the impeller, further in than you can see. BTW, while looking up through the intake, assess the condition of the impeller's leading edges. Little nicks and dings are common, but there should not be any chunks missing or big dents. The leading edge of all the blades should look the same. When you install the handhole cover, make sure the o-ring is intact and that the cover is tight. An air leak here will also hurt performance.
If nothing is found in front of the impeller, and the performance problem persists, you will need to remove the bowl from the pump to inspect the trailing edges of the impeller. Rocks have been known to make it almost all the way through before getting stuck. There's a pic in a thread from last year illustrating that point. Guy had a problem similar to yours.

FreeRide
09-05-2006, 11:46 AM
It will not cause a cavitation problem, but possibly the vibration. Check the u joints in your drive shaft. I had one break, and take out the pump, bent the shaft and all.