PDA

View Full Version : 66.7 mph! What do I do Next?

1980Cougar
09-05-2006, 11:28 AM
I've got a 460/12jf in a 18 ft cougar bubbledeck. A2 aggressor impellor and stock trim. Just added an angle-iron loader grate.
Other than buying a better loader, what other pump mods can I do?
Bowl stuffer?
Nozzle inserts?
The A2 is turning 4300 RPM.

LakesOnly
09-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Boat and pump setup are of paramount importance for sure; others will help you in the area(s) you inquired about.
4300 rpm could also be improved upon by way of motor modifications. Improved top end breathing characteristics or a stroked bottom end (or both) would do wonders for your HP and top speed numbers. If you motor is turn key now, then maybe you don't want to mess with it. but if you also want suggestions in the motor area as well, post info about your current engine (stock, or headers, or this or that). Fords can readily offer the broad power range that the tall impellers want.
LO

SB
09-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Sounds like 350 hp. Your speed is not bad for that powerIf you don't have a place diverter, get one or try a wedge. It might be more cost effective to add some horsepower with some better heads before spending more on the jet.

roostwear
09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
If you don't have a diverter, then now's the time. Speed aside, a diverter is damn near a necessity just to trim your ride. Chances are, if you air out the hull by trimming it up with the diverter, you'll pick up a mile or two. I prefer to maximize my setup before putting more $$ into hp. As a matter of fact, I hit the mark I wanted, and decided NOT to put more motor in it (well, for now anyways :D )

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I've got a 460/12jf in a 18 ft cougar bubbledeck. A2 aggressor impellor and stock trim. Just added an angle-iron loader grate.
Bowl stuffer?
Nozzle inserts?
STUFFER AND HI-TECH PERFORMANCE SHOE AND RIDE PLATE KIT WOULD HELP BUT YOUR GONNA NEED MORE POWER IF YOUR ONLY TURNIN 4300 NOW

BigBlockBaja
09-05-2006, 12:36 PM
66 mph at 4300 rpms. Thats pretty good if ya ask me.

1980Cougar
09-05-2006, 03:36 PM
If you don't have a diverter, then now's the time. Speed aside, a diverter is damn near a necessity just to trim your ride. Chances are, if you air out the hull by trimming it up with the diverter, you'll pick up a mile or two. I prefer to maximize my setup before putting more $$ into hp. As a matter of fact, I hit the mark I wanted, and decided NOT to put more motor in it (well, for now anyways :D )
I've got the stock diverter, but I can't run wedges with my current bowl. I would really like to maximize my pump before I touch the engine. The former owner must have had the engine done because it runs excellent, uses/leaks no oil etc.
Maybe a different bowl with a wedge so that my diverter isn't at such a sharp angle?

n8dawg
09-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Put a diffrent impeller in it. Your rpms are where Oldsmobiles like to run at, you should be upwards of 5500-6000rpms. Try an A. Or put more HP in it! :crossx:

skeeter
09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Bowl stuffer?
Nozzle inserts?
Is this a completely stock motor?
Because if this is an aggressor AA impeller then it is making more that 350 horsepower. On an aggressor you add a step which would be like a 9 1/4. That would be something like 375 horsepower which would be more than what a stock motor would make.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-05-2006, 06:31 PM
First thing to do with that hull is take a straight edge to the bottom and check for hook in it. Most of the hulls from Cougar in that era had a fair amount built into them and showed the same speeds as yours.
If it is straight.....change the impeller to an A
And do not forget that the altitude that you run at in Alberta is way higher than most on this board are use to so power #'s are off....
Someone once told me to do this and it got me into a 4 week project:eek: If I were to do it again, I would take it to jeff bennett. THat is alot of work and I have alot of appreciation for jeff. I will be glad to pay someone next time.....
TOO much damn work!!!!!

W.O.T
09-05-2006, 06:52 PM
i know my hull has a little hook. what is the purpose of manufacturing the boat with hook already in the hull? seems like everyone wants to get rid of it. im guessing it doesnt matter much for the average boater but for real speed it needs to be taken care of.

W.O.T
09-05-2006, 07:09 PM
sweet thanks canuck1

1980Cougar
09-06-2006, 04:46 AM
First thing to do with that hull is take a straight edge to the bottom and check for hook in it. Most of the hulls from Cougar in that era had a fair amount built into them and showed the same speeds as yours.
If it is straight.....change the impeller to an A
And do not forget that the altitude that you run at in Alberta is way higher than most on this board are use to so power #'s are off....
I checked my hull and the bottom is straight- no hook. I changed to the A2 to bring the revs down, after I was told that the 460 wouldn't like breathing through the manifolds and snails at 4800.
Maybe I could machine it and bring the revs up a bit?
Sounds like what I really need is some thicker air!!!
:)