PDA

View Full Version : Drive gears: break in period?

Robbie Racer
09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Is there a break in period when you replace the Mercruiser Quicksilver lower gear set? My mechanic says that Mercury recommends a 20 hour break in period with no heavy load on the drive during that time. I don't remember hearing that when I first bought the drive.

wideopen545
09-06-2006, 09:04 AM
mine was 20 hours also

deltarat
09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Is there a break in period when you replace the Mercruiser Quicksilver lower gear set? My mechanic says that Mercury recommends a 20 hour break in period with no heavy load on the drive during that time. I don't remember hearing that when I first bought the drive.
20 hours with no heavy load??? Keith you will be twitching your foot after 20 mins. of that crap. I was always taught that you break something in just like you are going to drive it. I say bring it up to temp and shut it down and let cool off... then run it for about one or two hours and put it on the trailer. Change the fluid and go give her hell :)

Robbie Racer
09-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. Terry, you are right about it being tough to take it easy for 20 hours. I will try to do that for as long as I can and see how it works.
See you at Berryessa in a few weeks.

acatitude
09-07-2006, 03:52 PM
hell I cant get past the break in time before its broken... :cry:

Pro Max
09-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Hell, By the time you break in the drive you will need a new motor

RACER52
09-15-2006, 10:49 AM
i have yet to do a break in. I have driven the first day just like its the last.
20hours on our boats is out of the question.
I would run it like normal after the first hour out. Run it smooth and consistant up to whatever speed you want. Change the lube after the first real beating it takes.
See you at Berryesa.
Racer

Havasu47
09-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Bring it up to temp and shut it down and let cool off... then run it for about one or two hours and put it on the trailer. Change the fluid and go give her hell :)
Good advise. The only thing we advise different than this is to also let it idle under load for the first 10 minutes. Changing the gear lube after the first 2 hours is critical.

Robbie Racer
09-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Good advice. Thanks guys. I better get that gear oil changed before I take it out again as I think I have about 5 hours on it now.

acatitude
09-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Keith, the paper work on my bmax says keep it under 4500 rpm for first 5 hrs... run at different rpms within that range..... change oil and go . change oil every 50 hrs after that..... 50 seems a little long to me..

Robbie Racer
09-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Keith, the paper work on my bmax says keep it under 4500 rpm for first 5 hrs... run at different rpms within that range..... change oil and go . change oil every 50 hrs after that..... 50 seems a little long to me..
That is interesting about 5 hour break in and the 50 hour gear oil change. I have been changing my drive oil at 20 hours when I change the motor oil. I guess I can go every other motor oil change for the gear oil now. That will help with the costs too. The B-Max uses about 4 quarts of gear lube at around $10.00 per quart or so.